2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Zynerji wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 22:14
I dunno. I like Ocon, but if Lewis retired and George was #1, I'd sign Lance Stroll as the steady handed #2 immediately. You can laugh, but the Moneyball Theory is heavily in Strolls favor (he gets "on base" with points alot). He's done seriously good work in seriously sub-optimal cars.
Stroll has shown some good speed on occasions but he does seem to be a bit clumsy on track and suffers more than his fair share of incidents around other cars. If he could improve his situational awareness, I could see him doing much better.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

KeiKo403
KeiKo403

If Lewis retires then Vettel would be in. Vettel is a good driver, he’s German, fights for change like Lewis does and importantly is a World Champion. It’s not a requirement for Mercedes to have a WDC but I believe in their entire history in the sport as a constructor they’ve always had a previous or current champion driver.

But anyway, I don’t think Lewis would walk away from the team just yet. I believe they’ll get this car working and fighting for wins this year.

Quantum

atanatizante wrote:
12 Apr 2022, 10:03
With both VET and now HAM having at Australia race PU cooling issues, McL same issues in Jeddah and Williams & AM at Bahrein, altogether backing the rumours started from Bahrein, could they deliberately run in a particular PU mode that would trigger this kind of issue just to justify an upgrade for reliability grounds like Honda did in the past?
What is deliberate?

If the engine/cooling is being stressed, and all Merc powered teams are down on the straights, then is it deliberate?
No.

If the PU is reliable but down on power does it mean a team should remain frozen in it's down on power status?
I don't think so.
If the benchmark is doing like for like X amount more, and your PU can do X amount more but under duress, you'd do that to activate the reliabilityclause.
That is exactly what every Engine supplier has done even doing back to the V8 "freeze" days.
"Interplay of triads"

silver
silver

Quantum wrote:
12 Apr 2022, 11:48
atanatizante wrote:
12 Apr 2022, 10:03
With both VET and now HAM having at Australia race PU cooling issues, McL same issues in Jeddah and Williams & AM at Bahrein, altogether backing the rumours started from Bahrein, could they deliberately run in a particular PU mode that would trigger this kind of issue just to justify an upgrade for reliability grounds like Honda did in the past?
What is deliberate?

If the engine/cooling is being stressed, and all Merc powered teams are down on the straights, then is it deliberate?
No.

If the PU is reliable but down on power does it mean a team should remain frozen in it's down on power status?
I don't think so.
If the benchmark is doing like for like X amount more, and your PU can do X amount more but under duress, you'd do that to activate the reliabilityclause.
That is exactly what every Engine supplier has done even doing back to the V8 "freeze" days.
Does anyone know what's the "evidence" that a manufacturer has to provide, which is agreeable to FIA that is in fact a genuine case which requires a reliability fix and then they allow? The other manufacturers need to vote I believe for a fix to go in. So it should be a solid evidence I guess.

Big Tea

toraabe wrote:
12 Apr 2022, 07:36
I see that some are complaining on this. Why.. No reason. If Toto wants to express his opinion he is in full right to do so. https://www.grandprix247.com/2022/04/11 ... lity-masi/
A little difficult to tell there what was actually said by Woolf for publication and what was added by Velasco, or paraphrased.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

KeiKo403
KeiKo403

And all Wolf has said is what he said to Masi. Nothing about what Masi said, was he apologetic? Was he expecting an apology from Wolf? Did he still fail to see what he did wrong in the last minutes of the race? Did Masi keep repeating “it’s called a motor race, we went motor racing”?

So many things we don’t know. I’m just surprised Wolf could even agree to sit down and share a meal with him.

De Jokke

Re: Mercedes W13

I was hoping for something big in Imola but Russell said nothing substantial in the pipeline for the moment... :o :cry:

ps: when will they start with the "low hanging fruit", is this what Lewis is going on about (rallying troops)
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

chrisc90

Just_a_fan wrote:
12 Apr 2022, 10:31
ClarkBT11 wrote:
12 Apr 2022, 01:42
proteus wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 22:04

I do belive their future sits with Russell as a number 1 and as their team leader. And that Ocon might get the chance for a second seat when Lewis goes. - As far as a current driver market goes.
No doubt he'll do the job on track I've got a feeling he's a bit of a diva behind the scenes and hasn't got the fan appeal but that's just my opinion. He's too posh for the general public to connect with him, again just my opinion.
Being a bit "posh" didn't hurt Button's place in British fans' hearts. Hunt was also "a bit posh" and again popular in the UK. Same with Stirling Moss.

I think George and Lando will split the fan vote between them, but I can see George becoming popular if he does well against Lewis as the latter isn't actually that popular in the UK.
At the minute George has some credibility. When/if merc mould him into giving their preferred version of media then he could quickly lose that.
Look at his comments about the RB retiring… probably not in a good position to be belittling the opposite when his car is slow, lacks race pace and 75% of his points have come from others misfortune. Max x2, Perez x1, sainz x1.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

chrisc90 wrote:
12 Apr 2022, 13:26
Just_a_fan wrote:
ClarkBT11 wrote:

No doubt he'll do the job on track I've got a feeling he's a bit of a diva behind the scenes and hasn't got the fan appeal but that's just my opinion. He's too posh for the general public to connect with him, again just my opinion.
Being a bit "posh" didn't hurt Button's place in British fans' hearts. Hunt was also "a bit posh" and again popular in the UK. Same with Stirling Moss.

I think George and Lando will split the fan vote between them, but I can see George becoming popular if he does well against Lewis as the latter isn't actually that popular in the UK.
At the minute George has some credibility. When/if merc mould him into giving their preferred version of media then he could quickly lose that.
Look at his comments about the RB retiring… probably not in a good position to be belittling the opposite when his car is slow, lacks race pace and 75% of his points have come from others misfortune. Max x2, Perez x1, sainz x1.
His comments do have precedence, however. It's a truism that "in order to finish first, first you have to finish". George was also likely to be riding the wave of euphoria of his first real podium in F1.

It's also worth noting that his podium came from the misfortune of his team mate who got a bum deal with safety car timing again.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Zynerji

chrisc90 wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
ClarkBT11 wrote:

So, what George said was accurate then? 🤔

I'm sure they are all aware of the mind games that are played, especially between Mercedes and Redbull.

mkay
mkay

Zynerji wrote:
12 Apr 2022, 15:10
chrisc90 wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

I'm sure they are all aware of the mind games that are played, especially between Mercedes and Redbull.
Merc and Red Bull can play mind games all they want, as at the moment, both are highly unlikely to win any title whatsoever.

Zynerji

mkay wrote:
12 Apr 2022, 15:17
Zynerji wrote:
12 Apr 2022, 15:10
chrisc90 wrote:

Merc and Red Bull can play mind games all they want, as at the moment, both are highly unlikely to win any title whatsoever.
Meh.

With 20 races left, that is a bold statement. Let's see the Q3 results in Barcelona before we declare something like that. Historical data shows the start of the Euro season (first upgrade) to show the true season-long pecking order.

RonMexico
RonMexico

Just_a_fan wrote:
ClarkBT11 wrote:
proteus wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 22:04

I do belive their future sits with Russell as a number 1 and as their team leader. And that Ocon might get the chance for a second seat when Lewis goes. - As far as a current driver market goes.

I think he has lost significant fan appeal between the Bottas crash/slap to the head and the tweets after Abu Dhabi. Lando is miles more popular through twitch alone than Russell

Zynerji

RonMexico wrote:
12 Apr 2022, 15:35
Just_a_fan wrote:
ClarkBT11 wrote:

I think he has lost significant fan appeal between the Bottas crash/slap to the head and the tweets after Abu Dhabi. Lando is miles more popular through twitch alone than Russell

Lando is genuine in his character. George is as fake as a 3 dollar bill.

I like them both as drivers, but it would be Lando on a camping trip for me!

f1jcw
f1jcw

RonMexico wrote:
12 Apr 2022, 15:35
Just_a_fan wrote:
ClarkBT11 wrote:

tweets after Abu Dhabi :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sure

I think most people in here, who support Merc would approve of those tweets, not dimish him. The only people that would be off put him by them would be Max fans.