Mercedes W13

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: Mercedes W13

I also felt that it was hot metal, but the Mark Hughes article does change things. Mark usually gets his information from the horse's mouth and if it's being published on Formula1.com, it's likely been vetted. He's probably just asked the Mercedes engineers what it is and they've told him. It might actually be a sensor.

With that said, the placement is a bit strange. Given that the front of the t-tray showers sparks down the floor of the car as it scrapes the ground, it would ruin any optical measurements.

Big Tea

I initially thought it was metal, but after watching it the 'light' is constant.
If it was something touching the track it would vary in intensity with speed and oscillation of the car, which it does not seem too.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

PlatinumZealot

AR3-GP wrote: ↑
12 Apr 2022, 19:18
I also felt that it was hot metal, but the Mark Hughes article does change things. Mark usually gets his information from the horse's mouth and if it's being published on Formula1.com, it's likely been vetted. He's probably just asked the Mercedes engineers what it is and they've told him. It might actually be a sensor.

With that said, the placement is a bit strange. Given that the front of the t-tray showers sparks down the floor of the car as it scrapes the ground, it would ruin any optical measurements.
That peice of metal would be too big to get white hot from some rubbing. Sparks are a different thing all together.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Racing Green in 2028

OO7
OO7

RZS10 wrote: ↑
12 Apr 2022, 19:14
OO7 wrote: ↑
12 Apr 2022, 16:19
The article is wrong. Although Hamilton's car ran additional sensors apparently, the 'light' underneath was not a sensor, it was just the skid block glowing from rubbing on the ground.
They both have almost identical lens flare, the size of the light source as it appears in the image is similar, even the lightened tarmac is visible in both (Merc running higher than the RB) ... i don't understand the insistance on "it's a glowing car part" when everything points to it being a sensor that could be switched on/off (which is even hinted at in the article: "when switched on")
https://i.imgur.com/L4XvhjZ.png ... the insert is pixelated and blurred from the RB

I'd bet a decent sum of cash that a higher res image would make it absolutely clear.

edit: et voilΓ 
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FQJYgpeXoAU ... &name=orig
https://i.imgur.com/pqPLvtx.png
The reason I'm insistent it's not a sensor, is because I've seen the entire footage as I described in the linked post here: viewtopic.php?p=1054214#p1054214

Also, there was quite a bit of footage shown of Hamilton's car throughout the Grand Prix, at the beginning, during the middle phase when he battled with Alonso and also at the end while racing against Russell. During the whole race, the only time (one occasion) the tea tray could be seen glowing, was after sparking heavily while overtaking Alonso.
Last edited by OO7 on 13 Apr 2022, 00:12, edited 1 time in total.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Agreed. It’s just glowing from the friction. We’ve seen fires in that area during pit stops before.

Ride height sensors have been run further forward that sometimes show up on certain cameras because they are infrared.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

VacuousFlamboyant
VacuousFlamboyant

At some point I was wondering why the metal piece in the T-tray wouldn't cool down over half a lap. It's a sensor, that's why. You got to wear a sheet of metal over your head to see it. :mrgreen: I want to believe! The high-res images gave it away.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

PlatinumZealot wrote: ↑
12 Apr 2022, 20:29

That peice of metal would be too big to get white hot from some rubbing. Sparks are a different thing all together.
The tea tray is being driven into the ground with a force of over twice the weight of the car at 300km/h. There is more than enough friction to cause the tip to glow. Brake disc glow the same way when hot due to friction.

PlatinumZealot

13 Apr 2022, 01:21

The tea tray is being driven into the ground with a force of over twice the weight of the car at 300km/h. There is more than enough friction to cause the top to glow. Brake disc glow the same way when hot due to friction.
Brake disk glow red. But white hot? Nah. Not gonna happen with that bulk. And notice the white light is only in a small area. This would not happen with a bulk peice of metal. Biot number too low for that. (more uniform conductivity). Sparks are different becausw those are tiny peices reacting with oxygen.

Racing Green in 2028

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

13 Apr 2022, 01:23
13 Apr 2022, 01:21

The tea tray is being driven into the ground with a force of over twice the weight of the car at 300km/h. There is more than enough friction to cause the top to glow. Brake disc glow the same way when hot due to friction.
Brake disk glow red. But white hot? Nah. Not gonna happen with that bulk. And notice the white light is only in a small area. This would not happen with a bulk peice of metal. Biot number too low for that. (more uniform conductivity). Sparks are different becausw those are tiny peices reacting with oxygen.
You can see the design of the t-tray in the image below:

It's wooden. There is a small section of metal at the leading edge. Titanium most likely.

PlatinumZealot

George's car doesn't have the light.

Even at the finish line when the bib is not touching the floor you still see the light.

Go to 6:19 in the video.

Racing Green in 2028

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

Remember when Sebastian Loeb was running a (similar looking) height sensor on his C4 Citroen WRC car
Last edited by johnny comelately on 13 Apr 2022, 11:32, edited 1 time in total.

OO7
OO7

13 Apr 2022, 02:15
George's car doesn't have the light.

Even at the finish line when the bib is not touching the floor you still see the light.

Go to 6:19 in the video.

There was no light in the footage you linked to PZ. I'll say this again. I watched the entire race again, paying specific attention to the bib of Hamilton's car whenever it was shown. The only period time it was ever seen to be glowing throughout the whole race, was after sparking heavily while overtaking Alonso at start of lap 31 into T1. The glowing stopped as the car approached T3 (perhaps a third to half way down the straight between T2 and T3) on that same lap.

ringo

It is a sensor and its been used for years. Not the first time i am seeing it.
It may well be a camera with a lamp. That camera can be IR to detect track temperature, it can be recording the roughness of the track to help with their flow analysis, it can be recording ground speed and yaw of the car relative to the track. Who knows. But it's something i have seen in testing for years.

I do not think it is metal glowing. The air would cool it really fast. also if this is not a steel part, i dont think white metal would glow so much.
For Sure!!

vorticism

It's ball lightning.

π“„€

OO7
OO7

ringo wrote: ↑
13 Apr 2022, 06:19

It is a sensor and its been used for years. Not the first time i am seeing it.
It may well be a camera with a lamp. That camera can be IR to detect track temperature, it can be recording the roughness of the track to help with their flow analysis, it can be recording ground speed and yaw of the car relative to the track. Who knows. But it's something i have seen in testing for years.

I do not think it is metal glowing. The air would cool it really fast. also if this is not a steel part, i dont think white metal would glow so much.
So the sensor coincidentally only happened to be turn on while the car was heavily sparking, for very short period of time on lap 31 and was not used at any other point during the entire Grand Prix....! Nah, I don't think so. The Red Bull has done the same at other events as well, with the glow only visible after significant and prolonged contact with the track surface.