2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Xero

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

_cerber1 wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 07:54
Lucky wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 03:45
Seidl about updates
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... urne-2022/
If I understand correctly, McLaren plans to bring a big upgrade package to fix the lack of downforce and mechanical clutch. The only question is when will this happen? Barcelona seems the most logical, but will they make it in time? The next suitable candidate is Silverstone, in three months. The rest of the tracks are not particularly conducive to testing updates.
Barcelona seems reasonable. Imola too soon, and then the bizarre placement of Miami in between. Gives the team 6 weeks to prepare it.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

genarro wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 12:49
Ground Effect wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 11:59
bauc wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 10:44

This is very reasonable and expected. If the updates do not give the required effect team will switch its focus on next year's car (meaning they have learned were they made a mistake or simply missed the DF targets)
Agreed, I just hope they'll be able to gauge end of 2022 downforce levels and set an adequate 2023 target.
The article states that Seidl said that the concept of the car isnt flawed, so updates are probably in the pipeline. We just have to be patient because R&D takes time.
That's good to hear, but I do recall at least one article where Andreas used the term fundamental problem. He was asked about the seemingly lower performance level of the Mercedes engine compared to the likes of Ferrari and RBPT. He said something along the lines that the fundamental problems of the car doesn't include the engine. Entirely possible it's misrepresentation or even a wrong choice of word by him, or simply a statement lost in translation.
But it's clear there's a much better understanding of the car, as they came out of the blocks quickly on Friday.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Ground Effect wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 14:02
genarro wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 12:49
Ground Effect wrote:

Agreed, I just hope they'll be able to gauge end of 2022 downforce levels and set an adequate 2023 target.
The article states that Seidl said that the concept of the car isnt flawed, so updates are probably in the pipeline. We just have to be patient because R&D takes time.
That's good to hear, but I do recall at least one article where Andreas used the term fundamental problem. He was asked about the seemingly lower performance level of the Mercedes engine compared to the likes of Ferrari and RBPT. He said something along the lines that the fundamental problems of the car doesn't include the engine. Entirely possible it's misrepresentation or even a wrong choice of word by him, or simply a statement lost in translation.
But it's clear there's a much better understanding of the car, as they came out of the blocks quickly on Friday.
The “fundamental” problem is that they are lacking Aero load and Mechanical grip… Not that the car itself had an issue (part) that was creating the problems

mwillems

I think the idea that we have got to grips and the car is past it's major issues is yet to be proven . There has been one track where we have performed well out of three, let's see where we are in a few races.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

mwillems wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 18:14
I think the idea that we have got to grips and the car is past it's major issues is yet to be proven . There has been one track where we have performed well out of three, let's see where we are in a few races.
I’d argue 2 out of 3 races.
I think Mclarens fight is with Alpine for P4 and compared to them in Saudi and Australia Mclaren were in the fight. Granted Alonso looked a bit quicker at both venues but he didn’t bring the points home
Just a fan's point of view

mwillems

CjC wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 19:10
mwillems wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 18:14
I’d argue 2 out of 3 races.
I think Mclarens fight is with Alpine for P4 and compared to them in Saudi and Australia Mclaren were in the fight. Granted Alonso looked a bit quicker at both venues but he didn’t bring the points home
I thought we looked OK in Jeddah but not much more than that. As a track the current Australia layout is very niche so I'm looking forward to seeing how we shake down at Imola and very interested to see how we get on in Barcelona .
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

djos

Confirmation that Danny Ric is a quality team player:
Ricciardo has accepted team instructions to not overtake ­Norris in the closing stages.

“Daniel, we’re managing something on Lando’s car,” Ricciardo was told.

“It’s OK to close the gap, but don’t put him under pressure. This is the last lap. Don’t get too close to Lando, he may lose power.”

Ricciardo: “If he loses power, what do I do?”

The reply: “Oh, drive past! I just don’t want you to hit him.”

Ricciardo has backed off. Watching a replay of the McLarens’ finishing nearly side-by-side, he says: “It looks like a bit of a photo finish. I was told Lando had a few issues towards the end.

“He slowed down quite a lot.

“I had to control myself a bit. It’s all good. I know it can turn around so quickly in this sport. I was aware we could have a weekend like this and I’m happy we were able to do it here. The crowd was in full force. Hope they ­enjoyed it. That’s the main thing.’”
👏

https://apple.news/AsWd7LyhfS_OAj3_51nCzEw
"In downforce we trust"

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

djos wrote:
12 Apr 2022, 01:20
Confirmation that Danny Ric is a quality team player:
Ricciardo has accepted team instructions to not overtake ­Norris in the closing stages.

“Daniel, we’re managing something on Lando’s car,” Ricciardo was told.

“It’s OK to close the gap, but don’t put him under pressure. This is the last lap. Don’t get too close to Lando, he may lose power.”

Ricciardo: “If he loses power, what do I do?”

The reply: “Oh, drive past! I just don’t want you to hit him.”

Ricciardo has backed off. Watching a replay of the McLarens’ finishing nearly side-by-side, he says: “It looks like a bit of a photo finish. I was told Lando had a few issues towards the end.

“He slowed down quite a lot.

“I had to control myself a bit. It’s all good. I know it can turn around so quickly in this sport. I was aware we could have a weekend like this and I’m happy we were able to do it here. The crowd was in full force. Hope they ­enjoyed it. That’s the main thing.’”
👏

https://apple.news/AsWd7LyhfS_OAj3_51nCzEw
Nicely done by Daniel

runningmanz
runningmanz

Positive news

"Seidl said a lack of grip in slow corners was proving to be the main problem, but that it is positive they know what the issue is.

“Our weak point is the lack of grip in slow corners, but the positive aspect is we understand what we need to do to try and eliminate this problem. We are working to try to resolve everything as soon as possible,” he said."

https://www.planetf1.com/news/andreas-s ... ed-corner/

_cerber1

runningmanz wrote:
14 Apr 2022, 06:23
Positive news

"Seidl said a lack of grip in slow corners was proving to be the main problem, but that it is positive they know what the issue is.

“Our weak point is the lack of grip in slow corners, but the positive aspect is we understand what we need to do to try and eliminate this problem. We are working to try to resolve everything as soon as possible,” he said."

Forgive my skepticism, but I've been hearing about this for three years now. Trying to solve a problem does not guarantee a solution. Until we see McLaren at the top of the slow sectors, these are all just words.

runningmanz
runningmanz

Well the best sector for McLaren was sector 3 in Oz which is the slowest part of the track and this car is obviously totally new so its not exactly the same situation as previously. Would like to think they might be onto something. Hopefully we find out sooner rather than later.

runningmanz
runningmanz

Unboxed, straya style!

rgimblett
rgimblett

runningmanz wrote:
14 Apr 2022, 06:23

It was quite obvious watching the Bahrain GP that all the Mercedes customer cars looked to suffer low speed grip and acceleration particularly compared to the Ferrari powered cars. The Mercedes works team were the exception.
The different nature of Melbourne circuit with less slow speed corners completely changed the running order of the teams, for example Haas looking not nearly as good and Mclaren looking much better which seems to confirm a slow corner advantage of the Ferrari engine teams over the Merc customer engine teams.

diffuser

Ground Effect wrote:
bauc wrote:
_cerber1 wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 07:54

If I understand correctly, McLaren plans to bring a big upgrade package to fix the lack of downforce and mechanical clutch. The only question is when will this happen? Barcelona seems the most logical, but will they make it in time? The next suitable candidate is Silverstone, in three months. The rest of the tracks are not particularly conducive to testing updates.
This is very reasonable and expected. If the updates do not give the required effect team will switch its focus on next year's car (meaning they have learned were they made a mistake or simply missed the DF targets)
Nothing new in the regs next year. Other teams are going flat out and bring new parts making their car faster. McLaren need to the the same. If their is something wrong might as well change it now and test it. No point in waiting till next winter testing to figure it out. That would be too much time a wasted.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

diffuser wrote:
14 Apr 2022, 14:29
Ground Effect wrote:
bauc wrote:

Nothing new in the regs next year. Other teams are going flat out and bring new parts making their car faster. McLaren need to the the same. If their is something wrong might as well change it now and test it. No point in waiting till next winter testing to figure it out. That would be too much time a wasted.
I get your point, but depending on how serious the issue is, how much effort it would take, timeframe and the fact that there’s a cost cap, switching to next years car early isn’t such a stretch. Especially if they decide to change philosophy or concept.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.