2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
runningmanz
runningmanz

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

McLAREN NOW HAS ‘CLEAR PLAN’ TO IMPROVE ITS 2022 F1 CAR

https://the-race.com/formula-1/mclaren- ... 22-f1-car/

diffuser

Ground Effect wrote:
14 Apr 2022, 16:31
diffuser wrote:
14 Apr 2022, 14:29
Ground Effect wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 11:59

Agreed, I just hope they'll be able to gauge end of 2022 downforce levels and set an adequate 2023 target.
Nothing new in the regs next year. Other teams are going flat out and bring new parts making their car faster. McLaren need to the the same. If their is something wrong might as well change it now and test it. No point in waiting till next winter testing to figure it out. That would be too much time a wasted.
I get your point, but depending on how serious the issue is, how much effort it would take, timeframe and the fact that there’s a cost cap, switching to next years car early isn’t such a stretch. Especially if they decide to change philosophy or concept.

I have no idea. Devil is in the details. Whatever it is, you need to spend money to make sure that you have the fix this year before you start to go into prod for next year. Also, not like you can taken money from this year's cap and use it next year. Use it or loose it.

I would think that anything unrelated to changing where the cockpit sits in the wheelbase can be changed. If they decide they need a longer/shorter gearbox resulting in the cockpit moving further forward/bacward within the wheelbase, well that would be hard to do. Any major restructing of the sidepods that would require a new crash structure test would be a problem.

MrGapes

Few thoughts:

* Having one FP session should benefit the team in my opinion the car does seem pretty plug and play from previous FP1 sessions...seems to find a balance quite easily (could be due to lack of porpoising, not having to find trade offs etc.)

* Team has run larger wings than other teams in last races, Australia s3 is quite evident of this with the cars slow speed issues. This can help us in qualifying but the car loses a lot of free lap time in race on the straights. Hopefully the upgrades mean the rear wing can be trimmed a bit more.

* Curious as to how beneficial the new braking config will be, the brute force ducting solution on the car currently probably means the car is not run in its perfect setup window... I guess we will have to wait and see the larger package, I guess they will introduce the front strake section and ducting together due to aerodynamic cohesion.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

MrGapes wrote:
15 Apr 2022, 04:48
Few thoughts:

* Having one FP session should benefit the team in my opinion the car does seem pretty plug and play from previous FP1 sessions...seems to find a balance quite easily (could be due to lack of porpoising, not having to find trade offs etc.)

* Team has run larger wings than other teams in last races, Australia s3 is quite evident of this with the cars slow speed issues. This can help us in qualifying but the car loses a lot of free lap time in race on the straights. Hopefully the upgrades mean the rear wing can be trimmed a bit more.

* Curious as to how beneficial the new braking config will be, the brute force ducting solution on the car currently probably means the car is not run in its perfect setup window... I guess we will have to wait and see the larger package, I guess they will introduce the front strake section and ducting together due to aerodynamic cohesion.
Regarding your first point, even though I agree with the logic behind it, I’m afraid that the team needs every minute of Free Practice available to them… With the apparent compromises that they have to make to get the tires into the right operating window (as you mention in your second point) lack of running may prevent them from achieving that… A lot still to be learned in terms of setup, I don’t think they will benefit from the lack of practice time and on the contrary, it will hinder them.

Regarding your last point, I have a feeling that the brake issues have been overstated in regards to their impact to the car’s performance… I don’t think they are the culprit of the car missing more than a second compared to the front runners, the aerodynamic impact is minimal and is hard for us to quantify the impact on the tire temperature from them (not saying that there isn’t an impact, but is not as big as the fans are making it out to be)… Not having the tires in the right window should be more related to the lack of downforce, which is not letting them put enough energy on the tires… If the brake ducting would be so critical, we would have heard comments already from the team stating that as soon as the actual solution is placed in the car performance would have came back, but that’s not the message we are getting from them.

MrGapes

SmallSoldier wrote:
15 Apr 2022, 06:36
MrGapes wrote:
15 Apr 2022, 04:48
Few thoughts:

Regarding your first point, even though I agree with the logic behind it, I’m afraid that the team needs every minute of Free Practice available to them… With the apparent compromises that they have to make to get the tires into the right operating window (as you mention in your second point) lack of running may prevent them from achieving that… A lot still to be learned in terms of setup, I don’t think they will benefit from the lack of practice time and on the contrary, it will hinder them.

Regarding your last point, I have a feeling that the brake issues have been overstated in regards to their impact to the car’s performance… I don’t think they are the culprit of the car missing more than a second compared to the front runners, the aerodynamic impact is minimal and is hard for us to quantify the impact on the tire temperature from them (not saying that there isn’t an impact, but is not as big as the fans are making it out to be)… Not having the tires in the right window should be more related to the lack of downforce, which is not letting them put enough energy on the tires… If the brake ducting would be so critical, we would have heard comments already from the team stating that as soon as the actual solution is placed in the car performance would have came back, but that’s not the message we are getting from them.
Yes agree with first point, bit of a contradiction there, I do think Imola will be a good litmus test. Although should be easier for teams to setup with only one drs zone to account for, and with known grip data.

I think the teams has done a good job conveying the problem is mainly downforce related, I’m just rather curious as to how much it hampers the cars performance window.

michl420
michl420

I read always that the good result in Australia is mostly because of the track layout. I can not understand that because this new layout is very balanced. It has many (and one long) straights, slow (3,4, 13) and fast (6,9,10) corners. Only hard braking and long turns are missing, and those where mclarens strengths in the past ( and the barcelona test indicate that they at last still good in long turns). I am opptimistic that the poor result in the first 2 races are mostly because of the lack of test runs in bahrain.

Darth-Piekus

Any updates for Imola that can push us forward the order?

djos

You’ll just have to wait and see, along with the rest of us.
"In downforce we trust"

mclaren111

djos wrote:
16 Apr 2022, 15:20
You’ll just have to wait and see, along with the rest of us.

I'm going to visit my daughter in Cape Town & it would be great if we can have a good weekend at the same time... :D :D

djos

Nice, I’m visiting family in Adelaide ATM, but I should be back in Melbourne in time for the Grand Prix.
"In downforce we trust"

diffuser

michl420 wrote:
16 Apr 2022, 10:38
I read always that the good result in Australia is mostly because of the track layout. I can not understand that because this new layout is very balanced. It has many (and one long) straights, slow (3,4, 13) and fast (6,9,10) corners. Only hard braking and long turns are missing, and those where mclarens strengths in the past ( and the barcelona test indicate that they at last still good in long turns). I am opptimistic that the poor result in the first 2 races are mostly because of the lack of test runs in bahrain.
For one the, new track, layout took out alot of hard braking zones. That helped alot in comparison to Jeddah.

At any rate, no point in guess we'll learn soon enough

_cerber1

mclaren111

_cerber1 wrote:
19 Apr 2022, 13:35

Have to give them credit for still trying to do something aerodynamically with the brakes after the rule change...

Sadly it didn't work... Let's hope the revised solutions gives us the performance we want... :D

Darth-Piekus

They seem to be persisting with those brakes. Have they found something that once works it will be revolutionary?

CrazyCarperF1
CrazyCarperF1

I know brake balance can be adjusted on the fly, is it possible that these ducts that surround the disks can be adjustable in a similar wat during the race to help keep tyre temperatures in range?