2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
MrGapes

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

From what James Key said it was a correlation issue, I guess they would keep the same brake design, but readjust it to match the needed cooling necessity

mwillems

I read that the fluid dynamics of the interior was not working correctly and essentially their air was not getting everywhere it needed to inside the brakes as well as the fact that the way the air was exiting the ducts into the wheels was also not as they expected. Seems as much of a balls up as a correlation issue but everyone makes mistakes and I'm sure they will be on top of it. I'm curious to see whether this "tyre management" silver bullet exists as I suspect that it is wishful thinking. I'd expect the next upgrade package to be significant though as they'd do all the work together to save wind tunnel and CFD time, as well as money.

I'm half expecting to see non raceable test parts on the car as they did after Barcelona with the MCL33, so perhaps the correlation is specific only to the brakes or they fixed the issue, or that the correlation was because they did not expect certain behaviours from aero and did not try to account for it.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the car compares in different areas of the track. Getting mini sector times for Imola will be fascinating.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Macklaren
Macklaren

As I've said before on here, this is a Bahrain Test Day 2 spec car (worse because of the temporary brake solution). It is super impressive that they have (almost) got two P5/6 results with it. Bodes well for challenging for podiums when the upgrade comes.

genarro
genarro

Macklaren wrote:
20 Apr 2022, 15:26
As I've said before on here, this is a Bahrain Test Day 2 spec car (worse because of the temporary brake solution). It is super impressive that they have (almost) got two P5/6 results with it. Bodes well for challenging for podiums when the upgrade comes.
Even Fittipaldi is optimistic of a podium in Imola

continuum16

Macklaren wrote:
Yes, the car has been more or less the same since testing, but I think two P5/6 results isn't reflective of the whole picture. In Saudi Lando finished P7 but both Alonso and Bottas retired ahead of him and he jumped K-Mag and Lewis at the safety car. In Australia if the weekend had run smoothly, I'm fairly sure Alonso, Sainz, and Verstappen would have beaten both of them.

Obviously execution and reliability are important, but judging by the car's pace alone they really should only have 5 or 6 points from the first three races.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

Macklaren
Macklaren

continuum16 wrote:
20 Apr 2022, 17:22
Macklaren wrote:
Yes, the car has been more or less the same since testing, but I think two P5/6 results isn't reflective of the whole picture. In Saudi Lando finished P7 but both Alonso and Bottas retired ahead of him and he jumped K-Mag and Lewis at the safety car. In Australia if the weekend had run smoothly, I'm fairly sure Alonso, Sainz, and Verstappen would have beaten both of them.

Obviously execution and reliability are important, but judging by the car's pace alone they really should only have 5 or 6 points from the first three races.
Yes, agreed. But they should also get credit for having decent reliability (RIC in JED notwithstanding) out of the box with a super underdeveloped car vs. midfield peers

mwillems

Both Daniel and Lando have had issues so I wouldn't say reliability has been that great.

We are lucky that in the run up to the first set of upgrades that some of the tracks in the calendar are a few of the most favourable tracks for our current predicament.

So it is entirely possible that these issues won't set us back too much, provided we get some efficient aero plugged in and some better lower speed traction. But 10 weeks between Testing and Barcelona is not much time if you want to bring significant upgrades, unless you are Mercedes.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

runningmanz
runningmanz

There was a flow directional winglet update at the rear of the car for Oz and Dan mentioned they found some things in the last few weeks regarding improvement. Seidl backed this up too saying they are understanding the car better now. Interesting comments from Fittipaldi. He said he spent time with Zak in Jeddah and they are confident of continual improvement over the next few races. Hope he is right with a podium this weekend.

bauc

Part of Zak's job is to keep spirits high and to ''sell'' positive vibe & sponsor spots on the car to others, please keep that in mind.

But lets be realistic, podium (on merit) is highly unlikely for this weekend of for the next few.

Mclaren!
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

bauc wrote:
21 Apr 2022, 13:27
Part of Zak's job is to keep spirits high and to ''sell'' positive vibe & sponsor spots on the car to others, please keep that in mind.

But lets be realistic, podium (on merit) is highly unlikely for this weekend of for the next few.

Mclaren!
To be fair, Zak is quite down to earth when talking about expectations, since 2018. We don't know what he tells sponsors directly, but when talking to the media, he comes across as optimistic at best. Can't remember when I heard him say something over the top regarding performance, post 2018. Remember he said he doesn't expect McLaren to compete at the front till 2023 or 2024.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

bauc

Ground Effect wrote:
21 Apr 2022, 15:02
bauc wrote:
21 Apr 2022, 13:27

Mclaren!
To be fair, Zak is quite down to earth when talking about expectations, since 2018. We don't know what he tells sponsors directly, but when talking to the media, he comes across as optimistic at best. Can't remember when I heard him say something over the top regarding performance, post 2018. Remember he said he doesn't expect McLaren to compete at the front till 2023 or 2024.
Correct, so people should keep expectations in check.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

NiyolHuayra
NiyolHuayra

Shouldn't F1 teams post a list of upgrades they bring to every race? Is there any news for this weekend?

_cerber1

NiyolHuayra wrote:
21 Apr 2022, 18:57
Shouldn't F1 teams post a list of upgrades they bring to every race? Is there any news for this weekend?
Today I saw information that McLaren has only minor little things, the biggest updates are Alpin and AT.

NiyolHuayra
NiyolHuayra

_cerber1 wrote:
21 Apr 2022, 19:31
NiyolHuayra wrote:
21 Apr 2022, 18:57
Today I saw information that McLaren has only minor little things, the biggest updates are Alpin and AT.
McLaren Upgrade: McLaren: Beam Wing

https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/151 ... xexyKp7JPg

Mansell89
Mansell89

Ricc is porpoising heavily in the wet it seems?