Ferrari F1-75

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Big Tea

Re: Ferrari F1-75

GrrG wrote:
21 Apr 2022, 19:35
Sainz new power unit
Is there a problem with the engine, or are they just spreading the ware?
(Do you know?)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

dialtone
dialtone

Big Tea wrote:
21 Apr 2022, 23:38
GrrG wrote:
21 Apr 2022, 19:35
Sainz new power unit
Is there a problem with the engine, or are they just spreading the ware?
(Do you know?)
Found an issue in the engine and will examine it as a precaution, although should be available in future races as they fix it.

dialtone
dialtone

matteosc wrote:
21 Apr 2022, 22:38
dialtone wrote:
21 Apr 2022, 21:07

The rear wing on the F1-75 is very small compared with just about about everyone. The low drag of the car is going to be really seen in tracks like Imola.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think it is small only at the extremities, not that small in the center. In all the past races Ferrari had a bigger rear wing than Red Bull and I do not see it changing until they change something relatively big in the rest of the car.
More aggressive spoon wings are lower drag and lower downforce wings. I don't think past races necessarily represent what we are going to face. For example RB-18 needed to find ways to load up the front wing to reduce understeer, Imola is even more front limited than any of the circuits we've been at so far so I think there may be surprises.

wowgr8
wowgr8

2nd ICE at the 4th race is extremely early. Unless they can really eke these first two out, in a 23 race season he might be forced to use up to 5 engines

Timtim99
Timtim99

wowgr8 wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 00:49
2nd ICE at the 4th race is extremely early. Unless they can really eke these first two out, in a 23 race season he might be forced to use up to 5 engines
The first ICE is still okay they just wanted to carry out reliability check on it it would be returned to the engine pool.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

wowgr8 wrote:
It is said Ferrari will use it for free practice for the rest of the season. So it's not a loss and it will allow the 2nd ICE to be run only in qualy + race as always when you have such a pool.

jagunx51

............!!!!

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

This is a very n00b question and I’m embarrassed because I’ve been following F1 for almost 20 years - but why do they disassemble and reassemble the cars to such a degree every weekend? Isn’t it more efficient to just put the car in a container and then chuck some wheels on it at the track?

Is it because so many parts are ‘consumables’ per say? Like how long does the hydraulics system last? A race? 3 races? The whole calendar? What about the suspension and dampers etc?

Chuckjr

JPBD1990 wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 05:55
This is a very n00b question and I’m embarrassed because I’ve been following F1 for almost 20 years - but why do they disassemble and reassemble the cars to such a degree every weekend? Isn’t it more efficient to just put the car in a container and then chuck some wheels on it at the track?

Is it because so many parts are ‘consumables’ per say? Like how long does the hydraulics system last? A race? 3 races? The whole calendar? What about the suspension and dampers etc?
It’s a great question and other users here can offer more detail but basically the car parts must all be tested for everything from invisible cracks to simply normal wear and tear. Some parts are a per race use so have to be replaced every weekend. There simply is a myriad of pieces that all must be trusted 100%, and so checks are in place to ensure every piece is examined so the car must be taken apart to appropriately carry out those measures.
Watching F1 since 1986.

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Chuckjr wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 06:47
JPBD1990 wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 05:55
It’s a great question and other users here can offer more detail but basically the car parts must all be tested for everything from invisible cracks to simply normal wear and tear. Some parts are a per race use so have to be replaced every weekend. There simply is a myriad of pieces that all must be trusted 100%, and so checks are in place to ensure every piece is examined so the car must be taken apart to appropriately carry out those measures.
Thanks that’s super interesting! I would have thought this introduces a higher degree of risk of ‘finger trouble’ and other little errors during disassembly and reassembly, but I guess there’s no other option considering they need to replace many things and check over many other things.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

wowgr8 wrote:
2nd ICE in the fourth race on one car might be seen as an early take by some, but what if the team has decided this course of action befor5e hand?. And that course of action also included the car which fell behind in championship standings. Remember that the ICE being replaced have one race mileage less than the one staying put. This car new race engine will if everything goes well with it, be able to do more races than the one which will also have to do whole weekends. The first engine used by all will always do fewer race weekends than the second one introduced.

One and Only

dialtone wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 00:25
matteosc wrote:
dialtone wrote:
21 Apr 2022, 21:07

The rear wing on the F1-75 is very small compared with just about about everyone. The low drag of the car is going to be really seen in tracks like Imola.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think it is small only at the extremities, not that small in the center. In all the past races Ferrari had a bigger rear wing than Red Bull and I do not see it changing until they change something relatively big in the rest of the car.
More aggressive spoon wings are lower drag and lower downforce wings. I don't think past races necessarily represent what we are going to face. For example RB-18 needed to find ways to load up the front wing to reduce understeer, Imola is even more front limited than any of the circuits we've been at so far so I think there may be surprises.
Could it be that since Ferrari has much smaller airbox area they can load middle of the rear wing more?
"Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk." Tom Waits

Andi76
Andi76

One and Only wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 11:01
dialtone wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 00:25
matteosc wrote:

Could it be that since Ferrari has much smaller airbox area they can load middle of the rear wing more?
Thats right. Ferraris airbox is much smaller to get more air to the rear wing. Also the"shoulders" of their engine cover are very small to get even more air to the rear wing.

dialtone
dialtone

f1316
f1316

Wow, a 5kg decrease in weight - in absolute terms, no ballast needed since still not below minimum - is significant if true.