2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

And that’s P3 and P6 for McLaren… Who would have thought? Yes… Changing conditions, Sainz couldn’t put a lap in Q3… But, it is now 3 races in a row where the team is in the top 10… Without any major upgrades, not too bad!

Darth-Piekus

Lando Norris is 3rd, Danny Ric is 6th. Very good result and Fittipaldi's prediction came true. He knew something.

On another note the car seem to be responding massively with these small updates and has closed the gap significantly to the front despite both Ferrari and Red Bull bringing a lot of updates. I don't want to jinx it but we might see a car on another level once the big upgrade arrives at Spain.

What happened with Mercedes today? The huge updates sent them spiraling down instead of helping them. Mclaren seemed to be miles ahead of them.
Last edited by Darth-Piekus on 22 Apr 2022, 18:51, edited 1 time in total.

mwillems

Lando laughing mockingly about the car getting better and better, before explaining that the conditions brought them into contention.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Darth-Piekus wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 18:47
Lando Norris is 3rd, Danny Ric is 6th. Very good result and Fittipaldi's prediction came true. He knew something.

On another note the car seem to be responding massively with these small updates and has closed the gap significantly to the front despite both Ferrari and Red Bull bringing a lot of updates. I don't want to jinx it but we might see a car on another level once the big upgrade arrives at Spain.

What happened with Mercedes today? The huge updates sent them spiraling down instead of helping them.
There weren’t “huge updates” for Ferrari, or Mercedes… or even RBR.

Very hard to make any assessment on performance with a Qualifying session with variable conditions like that one we just had… The important thing is that they were clearly ahead of Mercedes, and even on the dry, the car seemed be ahead of both Haas and Alpine which has to be the target for the year.

mwillems

Darth-Piekus wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 18:47

What happened with Mercedes today? The huge updates sent them spiraling down instead of helping them. Mclaren seemed to be miles ahead of them.
Wait for Sunday afternoon, these conditions clearly made the drivers more crucial and the car less so.

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

Are you sure? RBR and Mercedes both brought a lot of things here.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 18:51
Lando laughing mockingly about the car getting better and better, before explaining that the conditions brought them into contention.
He has a point though… It isn’t like the car is getting better (no major upgrades)… But, Bahrain was definitely an outlier and the more they are racing this car, the better they are getting at setting it up.

This is pure speculation on my part, but I believe the car likes the cooler temperatures (that’s why Barcelona looked as good as it did) and Bahrain (which was very hot) was very poor for the team.

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 18:53
mwillems wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 18:51
He has a point though… It isn’t like the car is getting better (no major upgrades)… But, Bahrain was definitely an outlier and the more they are racing this car, the better they are getting at setting it up.

This is pure speculation on my part, but I believe the car likes the cooler temperatures (that’s why Barcelona looked as good as it did) and Bahrain (which was very hot) was very poor for the team.
Yeah totally. Luck has mitigated the cars flaws both in terms of tracks raced at so far, track layout changes in Aus and the weather here.

And I'll take it if it means we can get updates before the tracks really punish us or the luck runs out.

Didn't catch the temp speculation before.

It could be the temps, I guess we will see in Miami.

-Bandit

Macklaren
Macklaren

WOW, I'm continue to the shocked by the long faces around here. This was a spectacular result with the car they have and all the updates to come. They way the car is responding, almost looks like they installed something backwards in Bahrain. They should get credit for keeping it on the tarmac and reliability when others are not (ironic, given Lando at the end, I know,...but still). We could have well been like Merc or WIlliams or AMR and gone backward but we didn't.

PS:, instead of saying that all these tracks are unnaturally and unfairly favoring the car, ever think that BAH was in fact, the outlier?

mwillems

Macklaren wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 19:15
WOW, I'm continue to the shocked by the long faces around here. This was a spectacular result with the car they have and all the updates to come. They way the car is responding, almost looks like they installed something backwards in Bahrain. They should get credit for keeping it on the tarmac and reliability when others are not (ironic, given Lando at the end, I know,...but still). We could have well been like Merc or WIlliams or AMR and gone backward but we didn't.

PS:, instead of saying that all these tracks are unnaturally and unfairly favoring the car, ever think that BAH was in fact, the outlier?
Well because I didn't say unnatural or nor did I say unfair (This is your addition to try and create a point that doesn't exist) and I said I'd wait and see before I come to conclusion about the outlier - such as I'll wait and see what happens at Miami before I try to analyse a trend. There isn't enough data. The thought line I am following at present is also the same one peddled by the team so... not really that unreasonable at the moment.

None of this means I am not pleased for the team but again..... it's Friday and this qualifying doesn't mean that much yet, so nothing to get excited about. I'll wait until Sunday to say we had a good weekend and the car looks fast here :)

-Bandit

Macklaren
Macklaren

mwillems wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 19:25
Macklaren wrote:

Well because I didn't say unnatural or nor did I say unfair (This is your addition to try and create a point that doesn't exist) and I said I'd wait and see before I come to conclusion about the outlier - such as I'll wait and see what happens at Miami before I try to analyse a trend. There isn't enough data. The thought line I am following at present is also the same one peddled by the team so... not really that unreasonable at the moment.

None of this means I am not pleased for the team but again..... it's Friday and this qualifying doesn't mean that much yet, so nothing to get excited about. I'll wait until Sunday to say we had a good weekend and the car looks fast here :)
My comment was NOT meant directly at you, sorry, but more a the general attitude in this group since the BAH test.
understood...we shall see on Sunday

mwillems

Macklaren wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 19:27
mwillems wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 19:25
Macklaren wrote:

My comment was NOT meant directly at you, sorry, but more a the general attitude in this group since the BAH test.
understood...we shall see on Sunday
I think I'm the only one speaking about the tracks today lol But fair play we all have our opinions and despite my still less than stellar assessment of the car, I am happy with how the start of the season has thus far panned out.

A top 5 result in Imola would be a delight that is for sure.

-Bandit

bauc

Good qualifying session by both NOR & RIC, we need to capitalize on situations like these while we are still working on the major update for the car. Tomorrow should be dry so if we keep P3 & P6 I will be happy. Similar conditions as today is forecasted for Sunday, so fingers crossed, although that is a double edged sword.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

ringo

Mclaren have the potential to be fighting ror the championship i feel. Not mercedes.
For Sure!!

Darth-Piekus

Depends if they keep showing up that rapid progression to the top.