Mercedes W13

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
pursue_one's

Re: Mercedes W13

AMuS reports that whilst the new upgrades(normal aerodynamic detail work) for Imola will bring no miracles, the data collected in Melbourne shed more light on the darkness.

Mercedes engineer:
" We now know how it is created and how it can be triggered, but we do not yet have the panacea for a solution. "

It is expected to come in Spain. But Mercedes reduced the weight of the W13 by around 5kg.

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... 022-imola/

PlatinumZealot

Did it say that they lost 5kg for Imola or are they expected to lose it by Spain?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

pursue_one's

PlatinumZealot wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 16:23
Did it say that they lost 5kg for Imola or are they expected to lose it by Spain?
Imola.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

:cry:
AA_2019 wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 17:50
2 secs behind Red Bull in qually !

Aston Martin have today massively reduced their purposing with cut outs on the side of the floors.

Red Bull reduced their purposing when they added a similar cut out on the side of the floor in the second pre season test.

Why don't Merc do the same?
Basically:

They don't know what they have done as they dont understand the car.

They don't know what they are doing as whatever they do isnt working.

They don't know what to do nevcause they have no idea on solutions.

They're lost, basically.

SiLo

GrizzleBoy wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 18:01
AA_2019 wrote:

Aston Martin have today massively reduced their purposing with cut outs on the side of the floors.

Red Bull reduced their purposing when they added a similar cut out on the side of the floor in the second pre season test.

Basically:

They're lost, basically.
Toto said they know what causes the porpoising now but they won't have a solution until Barcelona.
Felipe Baby!

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

SiLo wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 18:27
GrizzleBoy wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 18:01
AA_2019 wrote:

Basically:

They're lost, basically.
Toto said they know what causes the porpoising now but they won't have a solution until Barcelona.
Given their correlation issues I'll definitely be taking a "believe it when I see it " stance on that.

pantherxxx
pantherxxx

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/formula ... g-in-2022/

This team turned out to be Mercedes itself.

SSScoffee
SSScoffee

toraabe
toraabe

SSScoffee wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 19:22
https://iili.io/Ve15VS.md.png
The Rb floor looks much more refined at the middle section in opposite to the merc where there is a flat portion at the middle. Could mean movement of downforce center when braking and turning.

mantikos
mantikos

toraabe wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 20:06
SSScoffee wrote:
The Rb floor looks much more refined at the middle section in opposite to the merc where there is a flat portion at the middle. Could mean movement of downforce center when braking and turning.
Yet Ferrari who is faster matches Merc more so than the RB - I don't think its that simple

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

toraabe wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 20:06
SSScoffee wrote:
What does this even mean?

There was an earlier portion of this thread where people were calling it “too simple”.

:lol:

Seriously, everyone. Does simple or lack of little doo dads = too simple / unrefined = poor performance?

Serious question, but the answer is “no” in case you were wondering.

toraabe
toraabe

Absolutely no. Look at the curve on the venturi tunnel at the lowest point. Nicely round shape. The Mercedes has a large flat area that goes abruptly steeper to the rear. That creates stall at a certain speed in opposite to the Rb. This I assume is the reason to the floor is stalling and shoots it up. The Mercedes flat spot area is simply too large. It should be like a opposite wing.

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

toraabe wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 20:34
Absolutely no. Look at the curve on the venturi tunnel at the lowest point. Nicely round shape. The Mercedes has a large flat area that goes abruptly steeper to the rear. That creates stall at a certain speed in opposite to the Rb. This I assume is the reason to the floor is stalling and shoots it up. The Mercedes flat spot area is simply too large. It should be like a opposite wing.
It doesn’t, none of us know that. If it really was that simple, Merc would have had a new floor at Bahrain.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

toraabe wrote:
There is absolutely no way you can deduce that with the naked eye. Why bother with a huge team of engineers aided by a ton of computing power and windtunnel time, if you can just see it all with the Mark 1 Eyeball. Please….just stop 🛑

What IS worrying is that clearly their correlation is way out here and THAT is why they have looked apparently lost. They have had to figure out where those discrepancies were before doing anything to fix the underlying issue. And it seems that it hasn’t been easy straightforward. I duly hope they get it done by Barcelona and we end up with a tighter front pack because at the moment it’s only a 2 horse race

toraabe
toraabe

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 20:59
toraabe wrote:
There is absolutely no way you can deduce that with the naked eye. Why bother with a huge team of engineers aided by a ton of computing power and windtunnel time, if you can just see it all with the Mark 1 Eyeball. Please….just stop 🛑

What IS worrying is that clearly their correlation is way out here and THAT is why they have looked apparently lost. They have had to figure out where those discrepancies were before doing anything to fix the underlying issue. And it seems that it hasn’t been easy straightforward. I duly hope they get it done by Barcelona and we end up with a tighter front pack because at the moment it’s only a 2 horse race
Well. I taught this was a discussion board and for members to point their views on things. If you disagree we'll I understand that, but actually now I will just say "Please"