2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Lewis not happy about the setup direction. Not the first time. Mercedes tend to trust their computers more than what they see in front of them.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Jozsusz wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 18:52
silver wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 18:07
2 second a lap down! What is going on at Mercedes. I remember someone here said they have the most downforce of any car on the grid which is one of the reasons for porpoising. Their tyre struggles paints a different picture. They may have more problems than anyone seem to think.
The car was always bad in cold weather. Even the W12.

It’s not the cold weather. They’ve had trouble warming up the tires for ages. That is why they introduced DAS in 2020, which was banned for following years. Last year and this year in Jeddah they also needed 2 push laps to get a fast time. The problem is worse this year because frankly the car looks like a dog. They don’t understand it and you can already see they’re falling behind in the midfield because the other teams are progressing while they are not. It’s gonna be a long year.
Feel bad for Hamilton. After what happened to him last year there doesn’t seem to be a path for him to respond.

wogx

We don't often see Lewis Hamilton and Toto Wolff like this. Trouble at Mercedes. #F1 #EmiliaRomagnaGP
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

ringo

They are shaken. Maybe Toto told him not to get out of the car if he was not instructed to.
But Lewis could read the writing on the wall. There was no point staying in the car.

The car looked horrible today. George seems more hooked up than Lewis today, especially the rear end. Not sure what Lewis is setting up for, but the rear axle of his car both here and Jedda just seems too loose. He wants more than the car can give with his weird setups. He just needs to accept that they will be only fighting Williams! :lol:

Mclaren are moving ahead quite nicely with that Mercedes engine. They have improved in Australia and in Imola, they're on an upward trend.

Mercedes weakness seems to be suspension and tyres. The Ferrari was bouncing all over the place while still being able to maintain its contact patch and stability.
For Sure!!

proteus

PlatinumZealot wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 19:03
Lewis not happy about the setup direction. Not the first time. Mercedes tend to trust their computers more than what they see in front of them.
Source?
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

silver
silver

wogx wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 19:13
We don't often see Lewis Hamilton and Toto Wolff like this. Trouble at Mercedes. #F1 #EmiliaRomagnaGP
Hamilton's downbeat attitude in the car is definitely not helping the matters. It appears he is not ready to go through this slog to help the team through their trial and error process.

chrstphrln

He has just been very spoiled in all the years of Mercedes dominance.

mstar
mstar

proteus wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 19:51
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Source?
Lewis said " I think we underperformed as a team today. There are things that we should have done that we didn't do." implying MAYBE his side didn't optimise the set-up to HIS liking but tuned the car to what their simulations/computers think. Hence why he looked very pissed off afterwards

silver
silver

mstar wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 20:20
proteus wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Source?
Lewis said the team didn't perform today implying MAYBE his side didn't optimise the set-up to HIS liking but tuned the car to what their simulations/computers think.
I don't understand how that works. Every team came to Imola with work done in simulator (or computer) and had barely one hour to validate the setup, that too in a tricky situation. To blame the system might be useless unless he gave specific instructions prior to the weekend that the team ignored.

proteus

mstar wrote:
proteus wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Source?
Lewis said " I think we underperformed as a team today. There are things that we should have done that we didn't do." implying MAYBE his side didn't optimise the set-up to HIS liking but tuned the car to what their simulations/computers think. Hence why he looked very pissed off afterwards
From the garage clip Toto was pretty pissed off as well. I do wonder what is going on between them.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

mstar wrote:
proteus wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Source?
Don’t know if it was broadcast, but he was not happy with the tire pressures in q2, and said something along the lines of ”I told you we should have done that..” In q1 he also questioned the decision to bring him in for new softs when he had to fight to get temps in them.

Feels like Merc is dropping the ball in all sorts of areas as of late..

ringo

I think they understand him, but are not willing to make sudden changes against their scheduled plans.
F1 teams are so structured and sophisticated today that going off on the whim of the driver can add chaos, especially if the driver is wrong.
Lewis may well have been right, but he has not proof of that so they will simply only note his concern they will not go down that unknown tunnel with him.
I think this is where the smallers teams are better than the bigger teams. They will actually take setup advice from an experienced driver.

Anyhow i think the team will end up being right and the car will come to him durint the race.
For Sure!!

Rikhart
Rikhart

PlatinumZealot wrote:
I think lewis should be not happy with his performance, he is being beaten by his team mate on a regular basis now.

rickybobbyf1
rickybobbyf1

Man, what an absolute dog of a car. Everyone being able to progress, while Merc gets left behind struggling. Good thing they had more time last year to focus on 2022, with the lack of upgrades in 2021… God knows how far back they could have been if not.

ringo

They should have focused on 2021 and win Lewis his 8th Championship. They should have made themselves fast enough so as to be immune to Masi's antics. I am sure they are regretting now.
For Sure!!