2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Big Tea

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

ringo wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 22:47
Mclaren have the potential to be fighting ror the championship i feel. Not mercedes.
Do you really think that's realistic? Both Red Bull and Ferrari are way in front of them in reality, and I would say over the races we have seen so far Merc is slightly in font too.
I think the very best they can do for now if fight for third slot.

Plenty to be happy about when you consider they think the break problem is fixed and proposing is not too bad, nibbling away grabbing points here and there will all add up at the end of the year for them, but I don't think it likely that both Merc and Red Bull will not improve along with Mclaren, so it will probably be a see-saw of one being better this week and not as good the next.

I hope they will be in there, but don't be too disheartened if they are not, it will not be an easy job
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Macklaren
Macklaren

I will be DELIGHTED if they are in podium contention every week this year, in the 2H of the championship. Go for the title in 2023.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

ringo wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 22:47
Mclaren have the potential to be fighting ror the championship i feel. Not mercedes.
To be fair, Mercedes is struggling with bringing their tires up to temperature, therefore missing one lap pace… But so far, Mercedes has better race pace than McLaren.

A long way to go, without knowing the impact of potential updates is very hard to tell how close they can get to Ferrari and Red Bull, there is still a 1.2 second gap to cover and normally you can’t recover or gain that time in a season… But, with these cars been so new, if there was a season where upgrades could have a huge impact is this one… The challenge is that neither RBR or Ferrari will stay where they are, which makes it a moving target… They would have to gain 1.2 seconds more than what the others will gain this season and that’s a toll order.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

A bit anecdotal… But, Mclaren’s building a tough car! Lando’s front wing ended up been un damaged even when he hit the barriers with it at a decent speed:

Big Tea

SmallSoldier wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 23:26
A bit anecdotal… But, Mclaren’s building a tough car! Lando’s front wing ended up been un damaged even when he hit the barriers with it at a decent speed:

https://i.imgur.com/yPw0TjR.jpg
Did he actually touch? It did not look like in screen and De Resta said he did not think he did on a replay
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Interestingly and contrary to what the season has implied so far (albeit in changeable conditions of course)… The MCL36 was actually faster in the corners than the RB18 and the F1-75… Their laps on Q2 with Soft Tires showed that McLaren is losing most of their time on the straights.

A combination of more downforce/drag and how the changeable conditions distort the data may be behind it, but there is definitely improvement:

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Big Tea wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 23:27
SmallSoldier wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 23:26

https://i.imgur.com/yPw0TjR.jpg
Did he actually touch? It did not look like in screen and De Resta said he did not think he did on a replay
I watched him bounced back from it 😁

runningmanz
runningmanz

Great qualli at Imola. So much for the car being written off as a dud by some. Looks like Fittipaldi was on the money so far.

We look strong and still with only small updates. As mentioned though Dan did say they found some things over the last few weeks and Seidl mentioned they understand the car much better now. So very promising.

Gutted a bit for Dan though he was really strong against Lando in qualli, even had faster Q1 and got robbed of his last Q3 run due to the yellow and then red flag! He also kept the car on track while many had multiple off's. Dan said he was disappointed a bit as he had more to come on that last run. Also Lando mentioned they had more left in Q3.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/vide ... 83604.html

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/vide ... 25166.html

Roll on sprint race!

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

SmallSoldier wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 23:32
Interestingly and contrary to what the season has implied so far (albeit in changeable conditions of course)… The MCL36 was actually faster in the corners than the RB18 and the F1-75… Their laps on Q2 with Soft Tires showed that McLaren is losing most of their time on the straights.

A combination of more downforce/drag and how the changeable conditions distort the data may be behind it, but there is definitely improvement:

https://i.imgur.com/41szVrr.jpg
Very cool comparison of Norris versus Magnussen Qualy laps and how close it was between them for P3… Note how most of the time made by Lando is actually in the corners and most time loss is in the straights:

djos

Very frustrating that Daniel’s last 2 laps in Q3 where ruined by Carlos and Lando crashing. Especially as he was looking super competitive.

Btw, how is it that KMag got to keep his Q3 times after causing a red flag in Q2?
"In downforce we trust"

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

djos wrote:
23 Apr 2022, 07:52
Very frustrating that Daniel’s last 2 laps in Q3 where ruined by Carlos and Lando crashing. Especially as he was looking super competitive.

Btw, how is it that KMag got to keep his Q3 times after causing a red flag in Q2?
exactly like Lando Norris did.

_cerber1

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 23:32

https://i.imgur.com/41szVrr.jpg
They still have the same huge rear wing they have run all season so they seems to be able to claw the DF back albeit at the cost of drag. Its nice to know that any improvement to the floor will effectively also reduce drag through setup. Double benefits for any floor improvements we bring.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

Williams 8 seconds off the pace?
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

dialtone
dialtone

djos wrote:Very frustrating that Daniel’s last 2 laps in Q3 where ruined by Carlos and Lando crashing. Especially as he was looking super competitive.

Huh? Carlos crashed in q2, how did he ruin a q3 lap?