2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

dialtone wrote:
23 Apr 2022, 09:40
djos wrote:Very frustrating that Daniel’s last 2 laps in Q3 where ruined by Carlos and Lando crashing. Especially as he was looking super competitive.

Btw, how is it that KMag got to keep his Q3 times after causing a red flag in Q2?
Huh? Carlos crashed in q2, how did he ruin a q3 lap?
He was caught lowering his racing suit and flashing his upper torso from the side of the track in an effort to distract the driver, the stewards are investigating but one has not come out of his room since being given the evidence.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

djos

dialtone wrote:
23 Apr 2022, 09:40
djos wrote:Very frustrating that Daniel’s last 2 laps in Q3 where ruined by Carlos and Lando crashing. Especially as he was looking super competitive.

Btw, how is it that KMag got to keep his Q3 times after causing a red flag in Q2?
Huh? Carlos crashed in q2, how did he ruin a q3 lap?
Sorry, got my wires crossed. 🤦‍♂️
"In downforce we trust"

adrianjordan

djos wrote:
23 Apr 2022, 07:52

For starters he didn't crash, he spun and saved it before he hit the barriers. He didn't ask for a red flag and, frankly, it didn't need to be a red flag. Are we to penalise the drivers for a trigger happy race director who throws a red when yellows would have been sufficient?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

adrianjordan

Question for anyone who's bought replica team wear this season. What's the material like?

I bought a 2020 Norris t-shirt and the polyester material was awful. I'd literally be sweating within half an hour of putting it on in the summer.

Are the 2022 shirts any better??
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

blastdoman
blastdoman

Problems for Daniel. Engine is out of the car...

Emag
Emag

blastdoman wrote:
23 Apr 2022, 12:40
Problems for Daniel. Engine is out of the car...
They are doing something in Lando's car as well. And being on parc ferme rules, it surely isn't setup related. I hope there's not a huge issue for both cars here ...

Very important session this one, so unlucky to lose it.

Emag
Emag

Yep, problem for Lando as well. Brake issues this time.

BMMR61

I’m big on team’s understanding the car demonstrating the ability to salvage bad sessions and find the sweet spot wherever it’s to be found. Lando is continually playing down the progress by saying it’s circuit specific. Who am I to argue, but….. When you perform better each weekend three times in a row it starts to look like progress, especiallly from Bahrain,, both out in Q1 to Imola both in top 6. When the real upgrades start to arrive the teams with the better understanding will tend to profit more. There’s a strong sense McLaren know what is needed to slash the gap to RB and will produce more gains in the coming races. I hope I haven’t damned their fortunes with my optimism! Team looks sharp, meh about the new livery, and pitstops are now the gold standard of pitlane. Go Mac!!!

Xero

Looks like both cars won't take part in FP2, such a shame and is probably going to harm the teams race pace with no dry running.

Edit: looks like Lando might get the final 10 mins.

CjC
CjC

What a kicker after yesterdays highs….
They will literally have no idea what tyre to run in the sprint…. That’s if Ric even makes it to the grid :roll:
Just a fan's point of view

djos

adrianjordan wrote:
23 Apr 2022, 12:28
djos wrote:
23 Apr 2022, 07:52

For starters he didn't crash, he spun and saved it before he hit the barriers. He didn't ask for a red flag and, frankly, it didn't need to be a red flag. Are we to penalise the drivers for a trigger happy race director who throws a red when yellows would have been sufficient?
I agree with you, however last time I checked the rules were quite clear, If you cause a red flag, you’re done for qualifying.
"In downforce we trust"

CjC
CjC

Was/ are set up changes allowed during the FP2 between quali and the sprint or did parc ferme start after quali?

Emag
Emag

Nothing, parc ferme is enforced after quali

CjC
CjC

Emag wrote:
23 Apr 2022, 14:02
Nothing, parc ferme is enforced after quali
Thanks
That’s a small silver lining on the thunderstorm clouds🤦🏼‍♂️

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
23 Apr 2022, 08:49
SmallSoldier wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 23:32
Interestingly and contrary to what the season has implied so far (albeit in changeable conditions of course)… The MCL36 was actually faster in the corners than the RB18 and the F1-75… Their laps on Q2 with Soft Tires showed that McLaren is losing most of their time on the straights.

A combination of more downforce/drag and how the changeable conditions distort the data may be behind it, but there is definitely improvement:

https://i.imgur.com/41szVrr.jpg
They still have the same huge rear wing they have run all season so they seems to be able to claw the DF back albeit at the cost of drag. Its nice to know that any improvement to the floor will effectively also reduce drag through setup. Double benefits for any floor improvements we bring.
Every team is running a large wing this weekend though, with the rain every single team was running a high downforce configuration… There may be more drag in the McLaren and in previous races they clearly were using a larger wing than others, but not this weekend… We shouldn’t forget that there definitely seem to be something going on with the PU too.