2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Xero wrote:
23 Apr 2022, 17:01
Lando had no chance against Carlos. Would be worried about Bottas on Daniel if there were a few more laps.
One more lap and Bottas could have gotten Daniel… But not a bad amount of points for the team… With all the issues, punching way above their weight!

Xero

Going to be a big ask to stay P5/6 tomorrow. Some points today though, that's the main thing.

Emag
Emag

Xero wrote:
23 Apr 2022, 17:09
Going to be a big ask to stay P5/6 tomorrow. Some points today though, that's the main thing.
Unless Mercedes are a lot better tomorrow, doesn't seem a big ask at all. Bottas only had better pace towards the end which means it's tire deg related. For a couple of laps after overtaking Magnussen Daniel had very good pace. They probably pushed hard in crucial moments for the tire and hurt them a bit.

If the same repeats tomorrow, they should be able to build a gap to Bottas with the mediums on the first stint.

CjC
CjC

Xero wrote:
23 Apr 2022, 17:09
It will be but they would have pitted off the soft tyres way before lap 21 if today was a full distance race so there is hope….. Hope🤣
Just a fan's point of view

runningmanz
runningmanz

Yep good drive from both guys there. Did all we could. Let's see how we go tomorrow.

adrianjordan

SmallSoldier wrote:
23 Apr 2022, 16:33
adrianjordan wrote:
23 Apr 2022, 16:31
djos wrote:
23 Apr 2022, 13:46

I agree with you, however last time I checked the rules were quite clear, If you cause a red flag, you’re done for qualifying.
What rule is that?

Anyway, the race director caused the red flag by being trigger happy, so does that mean the race director has to sit out the rest of quali? 😝
All Red Flags were warranted given the conditions and the places in which drivers were stopped
But KMag wasn't stopped, he was manoeuvring the car to get back on the track without any outside assistance.

They discussed in the Sky commentary that if you keep the engine running and do not require outside assistance, then you are not classed as having "stopped".
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Darth-Piekus

Good points for the championship in the battle for 4th and hopefully for more points tomorrow. I think Bottas managed to close the gap in the end due to Danny Ric pushing his tyres too hard. If we manage to gain some more points tomorrow with Mercedes getting none then we might have a chance for 3rd if we keep pushing.

Seeing Magnussen getting pushed back with the engine on and not penalized reminds me of the FIA disqualifying Senna when he was pushed back to win the race in Suzuka 1989.

Emag
Emag

I am not worried about the deg. They had no practice today and did not know where the critical window for the tires would be for their car. Going onto tomorrow they should have more data for better management throughout the race.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

adrianjordan wrote:
23 Apr 2022, 17:14
SmallSoldier wrote:
23 Apr 2022, 16:33
adrianjordan wrote:
23 Apr 2022, 16:31

What rule is that?

Anyway, the race director caused the red flag by being trigger happy, so does that mean the race director has to sit out the rest of quali? 😝
All Red Flags were warranted given the conditions and the places in which drivers were stopped
But KMag wasn't stopped, he was manoeuvring the car to get back on the track without any outside assistance.

They discussed in the Sky commentary that if you keep the engine running and do not require outside assistance, then you are not classed as having "stopped".
His car may not have been “off” but he was in a dangerous position and essentially stopped on track (not moving)… You are just grasping at straws and making it about semantics… Without knowing if he could actually get out of there or if he was beached and get stuck, it was the right call at the time, the RD can’t wait to see if the driver can actually drive out of that situation before making a decision… As we saw with Lando losing control on that same corner in his out lap for qualifying (and with several other drivers) losing it in that corner was quiet easy… There was no reason to endanger anyone else… The red flag was justified.

trinidefender
trinidefender

Darth-Piekus wrote:
23 Apr 2022, 17:16
Good points for the championship in the battle for 4th and hopefully for more points tomorrow. I think Bottas managed to close the gap in the end due to Danny Ric pushing his tyres too hard. If we manage to gain some more points tomorrow with Mercedes getting none then we might have a chance for 3rd if we keep pushing.

Seeing Magnussen getting pushed back with the engine on and not penalized reminds me of the FIA disqualifying Senna when he was pushed back to win the race in Suzuka 1989.
I thought you said you weren't going to watch the sprint?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Darth-Piekus wrote:

Who pushed Magnussen back? You saw him been pushed back?

Emag
Emag

Oh I forgot that sprint races give a lot more points this year. That's a good gain on Alpine, and pretty much most nearest rivals, as none of them scored big against McLaren today.

With the expectation being that they would suffer in Imola, after these results, I am honestly starting to get rather optimistic for Barcelona and onwards. They pushed back all upgrades planned for these early races after Bahrain in a bid to try and understand more about the car. It seems that they have managed to improve their current package without actually bringing any major upgrades to it.

RedBull and Ferrari look a bit too far ahead at the moment, but I am hoping after Barcelona they can detatch themselves from the midfield and try to fight with Mercedes a bit further ahead (assuming Mercedes doesn't improve massively with their own upgrades and joins the fight in the front).

Darth-Piekus

trinidefender wrote:
23 Apr 2022, 17:28
Darth-Piekus wrote:

I thought you said you weren't going to watch the sprint?
Couldn't sleep so I decided to watch the race

Darth-Piekus

SmallSoldier wrote:
23 Apr 2022, 17:29
Darth-Piekus wrote:

Who pushed Magnussen back? You saw him been pushed back?
I can't remember if he was pushed back. Someone mentioned about Kmag getting pushed.

Emag
Emag

Just noticed that up until lap 13-14 they were only losing 0.6 on average to Leclerc. Then it slowly got worse and worse. It definitely seems like the lack of dry running hurt them a bit today as they obviously lost the tires massively in the end.