2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Darth-Piekus

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Obviously the team has to cover some ground to be able to get a victory on merit but considering how the car responded to a few tweaks makes me confident when they bring the large upgrade in Spain.

Macklaren
Macklaren

What a spectacular result. I will take all the luck coming our way. Miami doesn't matter... BRING ON SPAIN!!

PS: credit for the result goes to Will Joseph's mum! It's her birthday today and she said she will bake Lando a cake if he got a podium! Lando sung her happy birthday on the in lap
Last edited by Macklaren on 24 Apr 2022, 16:56, edited 1 time in total.

diffuser

Norris is taking advantage of opportunities, good for him and McLaren.

Mansell89
Mansell89

A very nice bonus podium when we are still getting to grips with this car is excellent so to grab another 15 points is very nice work.

I’m not hanging massive hopes on Barcelona but it will be interesting to see what we can extract performance wise from this philosophy having had 4 or 5 races to look at it.

There are some huge gaps to Red Bull and Ferrari but there is huge performance gain on the table early on these regs so let’s see what the boys and girls come up with and keep fighting.

saputra_25
saputra_25

Darth-Piekus wrote:
24 Apr 2022, 16:41
Fittipaldi predicted a podium for Mclaren this weekend.
what is his prediction for Miami? :lol:

Emag
Emag

Mansell89 wrote:
24 Apr 2022, 17:09
A very nice bonus podium when we are still getting to grips with this car is excellent so to grab another 15 points is very nice work.

I’m not hanging massive hopes on Barcelona but it will be interesting to see what we can extract performance wise from this philosophy having had 4 or 5 races to look at it.

There are some huge gaps to Red Bull and Ferrari but there is huge performance gain on the table early on these regs so let’s see what the boys and girls come up with and keep fighting.
I don't think the gap to Ferrari/RedBull can be closed with upgrades this season, so I don't expect miracles from the Barcelona upgrade as well. I am just hoping it makes the car a little bit more consistent and they pull out from the midfield.

Realistically, unless Mercedes gets on top of their issues and their car turns out to be much better, I would expect a battle for 3rd with them this season. Otherwise, P4 should probably be the target.

willmesquita

We have to keep our head down and try to cut away part of the 1s/lap deficit we have to Ferrari and Red Bull.

This podium is the perfect energy we need to improve more and more!
To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone. ― Bruce McLaren

papayaorange.com.br

diffuser

Emag wrote:
24 Apr 2022, 17:11
Mansell89 wrote:

I don't think the gap to Ferrari/RedBull can be closed with upgrades this season, so I don't expect miracles from the Barcelona upgrade as well. I am just hoping it makes the car a little bit more consistent and they pull out from the midfield.

Realistically, unless Mercedes gets on top of their issues and their car turns out to be much better, I would expect a battle for 3rd with them this season. Otherwise, P4 should probably be the target.
Really weird this year how much pace changes between teams from race to race.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Emag wrote:
Mansell89 wrote:

Very sensible and agree with your thought process… Although, if there was a chance to make big jumps with upgrades is when you have new regulations like this year, a lot of potential to be unleashed on these cars.

diffuser

SmallSoldier wrote:
24 Apr 2022, 17:24
Emag wrote:
Mansell89 wrote:

Very sensible and agree with your thought process… Although, if there was a chance to make big jumps with upgrades is when you have new regulations like this year, a lot of potential to be unleashed on these cars.
You don't know what you don't know. Not sure you can really tell what McLaren's true pace is. They looked good the last 2 races after looking terrible in the 1st 2. Definitely the cooler temps helped their brake cooling issues in Imola. We'll have to see how they hold up in Miami.

Ricciardo wasn't able to make up any ground from the back and couldn't make the hards work. Norris was well protected by the K-Mag/Stroll firewalls. So I think Norris's pace was flattered by the lack of competition around him.

Macklaren
Macklaren

Did we get the fastest pitstop again at 2.2s? I think we did 2.2, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6. very impressive!

Emag
Emag

Lando had better pace than everyone apart from Bottas in the end (excluding Ferrari and RedBull obviously).

And even then, Lando was told to manage tires and keep to Russell's pace because that's all they had to do.

And Daniel had diffuser damage from lap 1. With the addition of the hards being a subomtimal choice in hindsight as well, it's no surprise he struggled.

Being unnecessarily harsh in my opinion. I was one to react negatively after Bahrain. But credit where credit is due. They managed to edge out their main competitors with no big additions to the car.

Miami should be tougher. But same was expected from here, so we'll have to wait and see.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

diffuser wrote:
24 Apr 2022, 19:06
SmallSoldier wrote:
Emag wrote:

You don't know what you don't know. Not sure you can really tell what McLaren's true pace is. They looked good the last 2 races after looking terrible in the 1st 2. Definitely the cooler temps helped their brake cooling issues in Imola. We'll have to see how they hold up in Miami.

Ricciardo wasn't able to make up any ground from the back and couldn't make the hards work. Norris was well protected by the K-Mag/Stroll firewalls. So I think Norris's pace was flattered by the lack of competition around him.
Ricciardo had a damaged diffuser, was mentioned on their TeamStream. I think Lando had Russell covered for pace, KMag was passed early enough for Russell to make up ground. Not sure about Bottas though, Russell definitely held him back.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

diffuser wrote:
24 Apr 2022, 19:06
SmallSoldier wrote:
Emag wrote:

Arguably they’ve look good (or at least decent) in 3 of the first 4 races… Jeddah wasn’t a bad weekend for the team… There weren’t going to be brake cooling issues, those have been solved (in regards to cooling), they are not using them as they want or initially designed, but braking cooling hasn’t been an issue after testing.

Norris had Russell behind for the majority of the race and not only was he managing the gap to him, he increased it steadily while looking after his tires… There was more pace in the car that wasn’t utilized because it wasn’t needed, they had the 3rd best pace on the grid in Imola, that’s clear… RIC not making ground or making the Hards work is a different story, since apparently he had damage, so very hard to tell what his actual pace was… But, it would have been a similar story to Hamilton, out of position and in a DRS train, he was going to be on a slower pace regardless.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Good result from the team. Let's remember doom and gloom after the first race. As expected, the results there were probably influenced massively by the compromised test where everyone dialed in their setup but McLaren was unable to.

Btw not sure why everyone was on the edge of their seat here. It was a well managed race from Lando and the team. His position as top midfield car was never really in question. He has pace in reserve but with possible safety cars and with slippery kerbs it made sense to play it as safe as possible (something Leclerc needs to learn).