2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

_cerber1 wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 14:19
Darth-Piekus wrote:
24 Apr 2022, 22:47
I would say I hope after the Big Upgrade and the update from Mercedes on their engines that will fix that time decifit that we can be much closer.
As far as I know, MB does not plan to update their motors, where did you get this information from?
AMR was 2nd in max speed at the speed trap at Imola. It isn't a PU issues and there aren't any Power upgrades coming for 4 years.

_cerber1

diffuser wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 15:30
AMR was 2nd in max speed at the speed trap at Imola. It isn't a PU issues and there aren't any Power upgrades coming for 4 years.
Toto: “We are seeing a huge leap forward that Ferrari has made since last year,” Wolf said on Sky F1. - Previously, they were about 14 horsepower behind in power, now they are ahead by the same 14 horsepower.

I posted information, in the topic about the MB engine, the difference with the Ferrari engine, according to Toto, is around 14 hp, and there were rumors that Imola Ferrari added another +5 hp. With the same air load, it is not possible to compensate for this, maybe it will be enough to fight in the middle group, but in the leading group, we will always be inferior to Ferrari.

diffuser

_cerber1 wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 15:39
diffuser wrote:
Toto: “We are seeing a huge leap forward that Ferrari has made since last year,” Wolf said on Sky F1. - Previously, they were about 14 horsepower behind in power, now they are ahead by the same 14 horsepower.

I posted information, in the topic about the MB engine, the difference with the Ferrari engine, according to Toto, is around 14 hp, and there were rumors that Imola Ferrari added another +5 hp. With the same air load, it is not possible to compensate for this, maybe it will be enough to fight in the middle group, but in the leading group, we will always be inferior to Ferrari.
Doesn't change the fact that they can't make upgrades, not sure how anybody know's Ferrari has gotten a power increase at Imola.

To me this looks like a drag problem for Merc. The incline of the curve looks the same as everyone elses. Just when they get to the top speed they're carrying more drag, can't acheive more top speed and the arch angle starts to flatten.

AMR has the Merc gear box and you can clearily see how much faster they are on the straights. I wouldn't beleive anything Wolfe says about this power stuff, he's gonna protect his people and not be brutally honest.

With regards to McLaren they look to have a gear choice that is too tall for Imola, they like Alpine, never get to eigth gear down the start finish straight but maybe at SPA downhill on the long back straight they get 10KPH faster.

I saw an increase in RBR RPMs that now closely align with Ferrari. They were once allowed one gear ratio change, not sure of that rule any more.

Emag
Emag

The gearing choice could be down to track conditions. The longer gears give less acceleration, but they help in traction and make it easier for the driver to control the car out of the corners, especially so in a damp track.

trinidefender
trinidefender

diffuser wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 16:26
_cerber1 wrote:
diffuser wrote:

Doesn't change the fact that they can't make upgrades, not sure how anybody know's Ferrari has gotten a power increase at Imola.

To me this looks like a drag problem for Merc. The incline of the curve looks the same as everyone elses. Just when they get to the top speed they're carrying more drag, can't acheive more top speed and the arch angle starts to flatten.

AMR has the Merc gear box and you can clearily see how much faster they are on the straights. I wouldn't beleive anything Wolfe says about this power stuff, he's gonna protect his people and not be brutally honest.

With regards to McLaren they look to have a gear choice that is too tall for Imola, they like Alpine, never get to eigth gear down the start finish straight but maybe at SPA downhill on the long back straight they get 10KPH faster.

I saw an increase in RBR RPMs that now closely align with Ferrari. They were once allowed one gear ratio change, not sure of that rule any more.

https://i.ibb.co/JppZTMX/Capture3.jpg
I would quicker say it's a lack of electrical power more than purely a drag problem. You can see it's not a smooth decrease in acceleration as speed increases as you would expect. It's almost an immediate drop off as if the electrical energy runs out.

Maybe the ICE produces similar power but the Ferrari has better MGU-H/K recovery.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

diffuser wrote:
_cerber1 wrote:
diffuser wrote:

They can make upgrades to the electrical side of the PU until September… IF (and that is a big if), the problem is with deployment / energy storage they have the ability to claw back a bit of performance before the PU’s are fully homologated

diffuser

trinidefender wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 16:53
diffuser wrote:
_cerber1 wrote:

https://i.ibb.co/JppZTMX/Capture3.jpg
I would quicker say it's a lack of electrical power more than purely a drag problem. You can see it's not a smooth decrease in acceleration as speed increases as you would expect. It's almost an immediate drop off as if the electrical energy runs out.

Maybe the ICE produces similar power but the Ferrari has better MGU-H/K recovery.

Why would Merc have an electricity problem but not AMR ? Merc's issue looks really paculiar. Notice the dip down the start finish straight, then it catches up? Only seeing that on Merc, AMR and McL aren't seeing that. Wondering if they're losing alot of speed on slight curves in the road?

Anyways Merc's biggest problem is that they're not carry any speedinto any of the corners. They're Vs are the widest and deepest.

Emag
Emag

Have had the chance to look at a bunch of sim laps of the Miami GP and it seems like it's going to be the first real test after Bahrain. It's full of long corners and slow speed corners.

If they show decent pace there without bringing anything new to the car, then I suppose we can safely say Bahrain was an one off.

diffuser

SmallSoldier wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 17:10
diffuser wrote:
_cerber1 wrote:

They can make upgrades to the electrical side of the PU until September… IF (and that is a big if), the problem is with deployment / energy storage they have the ability to claw back a bit of performance before the PU’s are fully homologated
I know but that doesn't give you MORE power, that's been a fixed amount since 2014. Just the same power for longer.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

diffuser wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 17:20
SmallSoldier wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 17:10
diffuser wrote:

I know but that doesn't give you MORE power, that's been a fixed amount since 2014. Just the same power for longer.
Well… If what we are discussing is straight line speed… The same power for longer would make a big impact :)

Xero

Darth-Piekus wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 13:40
Of course they won't stand still so what we have to do is bring an upgrade that is leagues better.
Here's hoping! [-o<

diffuser

Emag wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 16:52
The gearing choice could be down to track conditions. The longer gears give less acceleration, but they help in traction and make it easier for the driver to control the car out of the corners, especially so in a damp track.
You can't change you gear choice from race to race. They changed the rule to allow 1 change of gear ratios for the first year. Not sure if they then said no changes in season for the following years or if they're still allowing 1 change.

diffuser

Based on this :

Once these have been signed off on by the FIA's Technical Department, the teams/manufacturers will be bound to their designs until 2025. Just a single upgrade will be permitted between now and the 2025 season, with that upgrade only allowed between individual seasons.

They looks frozen too.
https://racingnews365.com/how-f1s-gearb ... g-for-2022

Big Tea

I see it as a reliability mod. They need to be reliably faster than Ferrari
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Darth-Piekus

Since the engines will be frozen till 2025 isn't that gonna give an unfair advantage to Ferrari and their customers? Shouldn't they give a chance for Renault, Honda and Mercedes to catch up?

Also considering what happened with Ferrari in 2018 regarding illegalities has the FIA set up any safety precautions to avoid a similar situation? I don't think those at Ferrari are idiots to try and do the same thing but considering their full of illegalities past from 1999 till today and getting away with it what's stops them from finding another unfair advantage somewhere else? Just speculating here nothing more.