Ferrari F1-75

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
carisi2k

Re: Ferrari F1-75

mzso wrote:
24 Apr 2022, 17:33
wowgr8 wrote:
16 Apr 2022, 15:05
At Maranello they are confident of extracting further potential from their power unit when they have completed the homologation program on the reliability of Spec 1, filling the torque curve with the introduction of Spec 2, now more shifted to low revs.
Italian media say spec 2 will have a different torque curve, specifically shifted towards low revs, what does this mean for performance?
What "spec 2"? There can be no more specs because of homologation.
Agreed, there should be no updates permitted to the Ferrari power unit except for the electronics side which will be frozen in September.

dialtone
dialtone

carisi2k wrote:
mzso wrote:
wowgr8 wrote:
Italian media say spec 2 will have a different torque curve, specifically shifted towards low revs, what does this mean for performance?
Agreed, there should be no updates permitted to the Ferrari power unit except for the electronics side which will be frozen in September.
There's nothing to agree with or not. FIA won't let them change anything on their own, that different torque thing is speculation.

What we know is that Ferrari can change mapping and whatever component isn't homologated, and you can change some engine power by changing its mapping, plus if what they say about being easy on the engine for first races is true, the phrasing of filling out the torque curve is likely incorrect as it's more that the detuned engine wasn't filling it, but that curve is the same.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

dialtone wrote:
26 Apr 2022, 00:56
carisi2k wrote:
mzso wrote:

There's nothing to agree with or not. FIA won't let them change anything on their own, that different torque thing is speculation.

What we know is that Ferrari can change mapping and whatever component isn't homologated, and you can change some engine power by changing its mapping, plus if what they say about being easy on the engine for first races is true, the phrasing of filling out the torque curve is likely incorrect as it's more that the detuned engine wasn't filling it, but that curve is the same.
The torque curve is a function of the mapping of fuel, air, and spark at every engine speed (RPM). So it can be reduced in lower RPM if the mapping dictates such.

dialtone
dialtone

I've received feedback from reddit that I just picked a lap, my bad for posting interesting content on reddit, but...

The number of laps makes this telemetry a bit confusing but it's pretty easy to see that the behavior in the first 2 corners isn't just a case of a few laps, Leclerc is either braking earlier, from higher top speed, or braking a bit less earlier but shedding speed before the corner. This is true for both Tamburello and Villeneuve, overall I think I'm pretty convinced that this has to do with porpoising and controlling for the braking point in T2.

I find pretty interesting that Leclerc is experimenting 2 ways of cornering into Tamburello, either from higher top speed or from first shedding speed, probably a bit due to engine mode but certainly to save tyres in that braking point.

I don't think it needed further confirmation but I think porpoising really hurt Ferrari here.

Andi76
Andi76

carisi2k wrote:
26 Apr 2022, 00:38
mzso wrote:
wowgr8 wrote:

Like i already said - Ferrari can still make updates in several areas, not only electronics. There is also energy store and MGU-K. It is still permitted to do updates on these parts untill Aug. 31st, too. So still a lot of room for developement. Its "only" ICE, MGU-H, turbo, exhaust-system, fuel and engine-oil-specification thats already frozen.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Andi76 wrote:
26 Apr 2022, 06:37
carisi2k wrote:
mzso wrote:

Like i already said - Ferrari can still make updates in several areas, not only electronics. There is also energy store and MGU-K. It is still permitted to do updates on these parts untill Aug. 31st, too. So still a lot of room for developement. Its "only" ICE, MGU-H, turbo, exhaust-system, fuel and engine-oil-specification thats already frozen.
Ferrari have already homologated the new electrical side of the PU for 2022. There’s a post about it somewhere. The reasoning was wanting to take advantage of its performance sooner.

dialtone
dialtone

AR3-GP wrote:
Andi76 wrote:
carisi2k wrote:
Ferrari have already homologated the new electrical side of the PU for 2022. There’s a post about it somewhere. The reasoning was wanting to take advantage of its performance sooner.
That post said they would bring the new one earlier than September not that they already homologated it.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

dialtone wrote:
26 Apr 2022, 15:55
AR3-GP wrote:
Andi76 wrote:

That post said they would bring the new one earlier than September not that they already homologated it.
Thanks for pointing this out. I have recalled incorrectly.

It it claimed that they will deploy the electrical 2022 spec in May between Miami and Barcelona.
https://www.planetf1.com/news/ferrari-e ... rades-may/

Andi76
Andi76

AR3-GP wrote:
26 Apr 2022, 15:11
Andi76 wrote:
carisi2k wrote:

Ferrari said they wanted to introduce it earlier. It would make no sense to quit developement 4 months before homologation. No one in F1 would do this.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Andi76 wrote:
26 Apr 2022, 17:11
AR3-GP wrote:
26 Apr 2022, 15:11
Andi76 wrote:

Ferrari said they wanted to introduce it earlier. It would make no sense to quit developement 4 months before homologation. No one in F1 would do this.
Look 2 post above. Bringing sooner will also help the customer teams.

dialtone
dialtone

AR3-GP wrote:
26 Apr 2022, 15:57
dialtone wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

It it claimed that they will deploy the electrical 2022 spec in May between Miami and Barcelona.
I think it's possible that this site confused bringing the new 2nd ICE version of the engine in those races, with them bringing a new ERS, because they couldn't explain how they would get the new power from the engine with ICE homologated.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

dialtone wrote:
26 Apr 2022, 18:20
AR3-GP wrote:
dialtone wrote:

I think it's possible that this site confused bringing the new 2nd ICE version of the engine in those races, with them bringing a new ERS, because they couldn't explain how they would get the new power from the engine with ICE homologated.
I don't think the article is confused. The initial source quoted in the article (Italian motorsport.com) is very clear that it's both an engine change and the ERS upgrade in May (as far as the rumor is concerned). It could turn out to be a false rumor, but the rumor is that both systems will be "new" and
https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-fe ... o/9898088/

Kalsi
Kalsi

AR3-GP wrote:
26 Apr 2022, 19:13
dialtone wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

I don't think the article is confused. The initial source quoted in the article (Italian motorsport.com) is very clear that it's both an engine change and the ERS upgrade in May (as far as the rumor is concerned). It could turn out to be a false rumor, but the rumor is that both systems will be "new" and
The article (which was written before Imola) just says that new ERS parts will be available and that they will start to use them alongside the ICE number 2 in Barcellona (or Miami... still not clear).
There is no mention anywhere that the ICE 2 is any different from ICE 1 (Correct me if im wrong or link me the source)
What the article basically says is that only the ERS parts are upgraded so "PU2" = New ERS + ICE2 (Where ICE2 does not mean that is an upgraded unit, it's just the second one they are gonna use) and that the actual ICE1 will be used in practice sessions to favor ICE2 milage.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Kalsi wrote:
26 Apr 2022, 20:21
AR3-GP wrote:
dialtone wrote:

The article (which was written before Imola) just says that new ERS parts will be available and that they will start to use them alongside the ICE number 2 in Barcellona (or Miami... still not clear).
There is no mention anywhere that the ICE 2 is any different from ICE 1 (Correct me if im wrong or link me the source)
What the article basically says is that only the ERS parts are upgraded so "PU2" = New ERS + ICE2 (Where ICE2 does not mean that is an upgraded unit, it's just the second one they are gonna use) and that the actual ICE1 will be used in practice sessions to favor ICE2 milage.
I think that you think I'm confused :lol: . I'm not confused.

PU2 for Leclerc, and potential debut of 2022 spec ERS in Barcelona/Miami.

S D

AR3-GP wrote:
26 Apr 2022, 23:53
Kalsi wrote:
26 Apr 2022, 20:21
AR3-GP wrote:

I think that you think I'm confused :lol: . I'm not confused.

PU2 for Leclerc, and potential debut of 2022 spec ERS in Barcelona/Miami.
Reading 3 Italian F1 sites all saying the same thing, new rear wing in Miami and new floor in Barcelona.