2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Emag
Emag

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Darth-Piekus wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 22:07
Since the engines will be frozen till 2025 isn't that gonna give an unfair advantage to Ferrari and their customers? Shouldn't they give a chance for Renault, Honda and Mercedes to catch up?

Also considering what happened with Ferrari in 2018 regarding illegalities has the FIA set up any safety precautions to avoid a similar situation? I don't think those at Ferrari are idiots to try and do the same thing but considering their full of illegalities past from 1999 till today and getting away with it what's stops them from finding another unfair advantage somewhere else? Just speculating here nothing more.
Well it's not unfair because it was the same rule for everyone. If Ferrari built a better power unit than the others then that's not on Ferrari.

SiLo

Emag wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 22:31
Darth-Piekus wrote:
Since the engines will be frozen till 2025 isn't that gonna give an unfair advantage to Ferrari and their customers? Shouldn't they give a chance for Renault, Honda and Mercedes to catch up?

Also considering what happened with Ferrari in 2018 regarding illegalities has the FIA set up any safety precautions to avoid a similar situation? I don't think those at Ferrari are idiots to try and do the same thing but considering their full of illegalities past from 1999 till today and getting away with it what's stops them from finding another unfair advantage somewhere else? Just speculating here nothing more.
Well it's not unfair because it was the same rule for everyone. If Ferrari built a better power unit than the others then that's not on Ferrari.
it's not unfair but I think it was also a bit shortsighted considering the switch to E10. I know they want to reduce costs but a better reduction would have just been keeping what we had before where we appeared to have started to get parity and left it on E5.
Felipe Baby!

Darth-Piekus

Emag wrote:

All I am saying is that Ferrari has to be congratulated to have done such a fantastic job. However during the whole Hybrid Era they did not enforce any engine freeze and they let the other manufacturers were able to close the gap. That is why I find it unfair for Ferrari to have a 4 year advantage without giving any chance for the others to catch up.

daren_p
daren_p

Darth-Piekus wrote:
25 Apr 2022, 23:04
Emag wrote:

All I am saying is that Ferrari has to be congratulated to have done such a fantastic job. However during the whole Hybrid Era they did not enforce any engine freeze and they let the other manufacturers were able to close the gap. That is why I find it unfair for Ferrari to have a 4 year advantage without giving any chance for the others to catch up.
As far as I'm aware, all the manufacturers agreed to the freeze. It appears Ferrari did a better job, complaining about it in the McLaren team thread won't change anything.

diffuser

Emag wrote:
Darth-Piekus wrote:

I don't see it on the graphs. They're far from the fastest top speed and thier accelaration angle isn't any steeper, they're not visabily faster on the charts. What they are on the charts is , they're later on the brakes, carry more speed into the corners and on the throttle sooner.

Darth-Piekus

I am very curious to see what can Mercedes change in the engine to make it on par with Ferrari.

diffuser

Darth-Piekus wrote:
26 Apr 2022, 01:24
I am very curious to see what can Mercedes change in the engine to make it on par with Ferrari.
Just like I just finished saying, the power unit is locked down. All they can do is improve the power recovery and deploy on the MGU-K. The power recovery from the MGU-K is small in comparison to the MGU-H.

I also don't think Ferrari have more power.

runningmanz
runningmanz

Post race radios. Tom said Dan had damage to the diffuser and something else that I couldn't make out. Anyone know the other damage he was referring to? Pretty remarkable in this case that he was able to hang onto the back of Lewis for so long on the mediums with that damage. Disappointing we never got to see his race pace without any damage to the car.

Emag
Emag

runningmanz wrote:
26 Apr 2022, 06:55
Post race radios. Tom said Dan had damage to the diffuser and something else that I couldn't make out. Anyone know the other damage he was referring to? Pretty remarkable in this case that he was able to hang onto the back of Lewis for so long on the mediums with that damage. Disappointing we never got to see his race pace without any damage to the car.

Pitot tubes I think was the other. But that was more of a sensor problem and they couldn't measure the impact of the diffuser damage because of it.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

diffuser wrote:
26 Apr 2022, 03:21
Darth-Piekus wrote:
Just like I just finished saying, the power unit is locked down. All they can do is improve the power recovery and deploy on the MGU-K. The power recovery from the MGU-K is small in comparison to the MGU-H.

I'd guess Ferrari have done a better job with integrating the E10 fuel into it's combustion processes than Mercedes have.
You can only upgrade the PU for reliability or safety reasons with evidence submitted to the FIA that outlines the problem and that the fix resolves the problem. I think that information is then given to the other manufacturers to review and agree to or reject it.

McLaren might be looking elsewhere for PU's for 2026 and beyond.

Macklaren
Macklaren

I don't think we can judge the relative engine performance until mid season when all the big updates are in and teams have tried multiple levels of drag and rear wing solutions

diffuser

taperoo2k wrote:
26 Apr 2022, 20:57
diffuser wrote:
Darth-Piekus wrote:

I'd guess Ferrari have done a better job with integrating the E10 fuel into it's combustion processes than Mercedes have.
You can only upgrade the PU for reliability or safety reasons with evidence submitted to the FIA that outlines the problem and that the fix resolves the problem. I think that information is then given to the other manufacturers to review and agree to or reject it.

They might end up with another Honda too!

The thing is McLaren are NOT idiots. They know what the score is. They're not jumping up and down listeniing to every moron who think Ferrari has more power. They do thier homework. They do it alot better than me and even I can tell Ferrari doesn't have more power. They're pretty much even. We'll only see that when the Merc powered cars get thier chassis acts together. Then they'll start saying that Merc has more power, even though they know the regs are locked down.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

diffuser wrote:
26 Apr 2022, 22:48
taperoo2k wrote:
diffuser wrote:

The thing is McLaren are NOT idiots. They know what the score is. They're not jumping up and down listeniing to every moron who think Ferrari has more power. They do thier homework. They do it alot better than me and even I can tell Ferrari doesn't have more power. They're pretty much even. We'll only see that when the Merc powered cars get thier chassis acts together. Then they'll start saying that Merc has more power, even though they know the regs are locked down.
Mercedes themselves have said the PU is probably missing 1-2 tenths on Ferrari.
A lion must kill its prey.

diffuser

AR3-GP wrote:
27 Apr 2022, 00:04
diffuser wrote:
taperoo2k wrote:

Yeah well, I don't see it. I see a HUGE top speed problem with Merc (porpoising?) but AMR look to be out accelerating Ferrari, they just are starting from 50% slower speed.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

diffuser wrote:
27 Apr 2022, 01:26
AR3-GP wrote:
27 Apr 2022, 00:04
diffuser wrote:

Yeah well, I don't see it. I see a HUGE top speed problem with Merc (porpoising?) but AMR look to be out accelerating Ferrari, they just are starting from 50% slower speed.
These are not things one can eyeball. You must look at telemetry and statements of team representatives.
A lion must kill its prey.