Ferrari F1-75

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: Ferrari F1-75

S D wrote:
27 Apr 2022, 01:59
AR3-GP wrote:
26 Apr 2022, 23:53
Kalsi wrote:
26 Apr 2022, 20:21

The article (which was written before Imola) just says that new ERS parts will be available and that they will start to use them alongside the ICE number 2 in Barcellona (or Miami... still not clear).
There is no mention anywhere that the ICE 2 is any different from ICE 1 (Correct me if im wrong or link me the source)
What the article basically says is that only the ERS parts are upgraded so "PU2" = New ERS + ICE2 (Where ICE2 does not mean that is an upgraded unit, it's just the second one they are gonna use) and that the actual ICE1 will be used in practice sessions to favor ICE2 milage.
I think that you think I'm confused :lol: . I'm not confused.

PU2 for Leclerc, and potential debut of 2022 spec ERS in Barcelona/Miami.
Reading 3 Italian F1 sites all saying the same thing, new rear wing in Miami and new floor in Barcelona.
I am not disputing that.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

Anybody using ‘power unit 2 this year’ means he is using 1st March 2022 homologated ICE – TC – MGU-H – EXH – FUEL – OIL.

GrrG

Ferrari ploy: the outer arm to the gearbox
https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-st ... content=it

JPower
JPower

New floor spotted at testing...

.poz
.poz

about the ICE homologation:

what it's exactly homologated ? The design ? Or also the materials ? In the second case the homologation is generic (eg aluminium alloy) or the specific alloy used had to be declared ?

Manfer
Manfer

JPower wrote:
27 Apr 2022, 18:36

They seem to have used this floor in Barcelona. Maybe they are running comparison tests with pirelli protoype tires?

https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... -75-1.webp

jumpingfish

Interesting..

Andi76
Andi76

Manfer wrote:
27 Apr 2022, 21:05
JPower wrote:

They seem to have used this floor in Barcelona. Maybe they are running comparison tests with pirelli protoype tires?

After watching this sideview of the F1-75, i have to say it seems that Ferrari put a lot of effort to install their engine as low as possible and lower the COG. I think its visible by the naked eye that the Ferrari has the lowest engine cover of all 2022 cars. The fin is there to comply with the rules(and maybe aerodynamic reasons). This always was a design philosophy of Ferrari in the late 90's and early 00's. As they also used other concepts and philosophies of this era, this would fit into the picture, next to the benefits of a lower CoG.

dialtone
dialtone

Andi76 wrote:
28 Apr 2022, 06:47
Manfer wrote:
JPower wrote:

After watching this sideview of the F1-75, i have to say that it seems that Ferrari put a lot of effort to install their engine as low as possible and lower the COG. I think its visible by the naked eye that the Ferrari has the lowest engine cover of all 2022 cars. The fin is there to comply with the rules(and maybe aerodynamic reasons). This always was a design philosophy of Ferrari in the late 90's and early 00's. As they also used other concepts and philosophies of this era, this would fit into the picture, next to the benefits of a lower CoG.
Judging from this though:

It could be that the lower CoG of the engine comes at the cost of more space taken from the floor. According to that youtube video, while F1-75 helps diffuser expansion with a kick point, RB-18 deals with it by expanding the flow laterally, probably thanks to slightly higher packaging. The net result is that the RB-18 floor is less prone to stalling and losing downforce unlike what the kick point does. Pros and Cons.

Andi76
Andi76

dialtone wrote:
28 Apr 2022, 06:52
Andi76 wrote:
28 Apr 2022, 06:47
Manfer wrote:

After watching this sideview of the F1-75, i have to say that it seems that Ferrari put a lot of effort to install their engine as low as possible and lower the COG. I think its visible by the naked eye that the Ferrari has the lowest engine cover of all 2022 cars. The fin is there to comply with the rules(and maybe aerodynamic reasons). This always was a design philosophy of Ferrari in the late 90's and early 00's. As they also used other concepts and philosophies of this era, this would fit into the picture, next to the benefits of a lower CoG.

It could be that the lower CoG of the engine comes at the cost of more space taken from the floor. According to that youtube video, while F1-75 helps diffuser expansion with a kick point, RB-18 deals with it by expanding the flow laterally, probably thanks to slightly higher packaging. The net result is that the RB-18 floor is less prone to stalling and losing downforce unlike what the kick point does. Pros and Cons.
Absolutely. F1 Design is always about trade-offs and the best compromise. The kick-point is something that also reminds me of the early 2000's Ferraris. Late in 2000 season(even if it was not discovered by other teams untill Brasil 2002), it probably was in Belgium or Monza, they introduced the so called "step" in the diffusor. They exploited a link of a 5cm radius between the two planes and earned a greater section and inclination of the diffusor. Of course a kick-point itself is nothing special, but i think the idea of using it with these kind of floors has its origin in the same idea. But maybe i am reading to much into it.

.poz wrote:
27 Apr 2022, 20:12
about the ICE homologation:

what it's exactly homologated ? The design ? Or also the materials ? In the second case the homologation is generic (eg aluminium alloy) or the specific alloy used had to be declared ?
The materials and their use is regulated by the technical regulary anyway, if memory serves. In March the following things were homologated : ICE, turbo, MGU-H, exhaust, engine fuel and engine oil specification. In Septembre control electronics, energy store system(battery) and MGU-K will be homologated.

Vanja #66

dialtone wrote:

Not the most accurate analysis by the video author. Illustrations are also evidently bad and missing more than one crucial detail. Should not be taken too much into consideration. Also, lateral flow expansion is not possible with 2022 diffuser rules, so neither team can do that.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Sevach
Sevach

JPower wrote:

Fairly low to the ground for a car just out of the pits.

Another angle of the extra attachment(if i'm correct)

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Where the engine sits into the floor doesn’t seem vastly different to the redbull, when using only the floor as a comparison point.

Has anyone seen or heard any reports of how the Ferrari has looked on track in testing since the introduction of this so called ‘skate’? Based on how bad the porpoising was in the race, I think any improvement here would be pretty visible to the naked eye, but I haven’t found anything about car behaviour on twitter.

Sevach
Sevach

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/F1DataAnal ... s-mercedes

Seems like a fairly well thought and written piece.

S D

Vanja #66 wrote:
28 Apr 2022, 09:31
dialtone wrote:

Not the most accurate analysis by the video author. Illustrations are also evidently bad and missing more than one crucial detail. Should not be taken too much into consideration. Also, lateral flow expansion is not possible with 2022 diffuser rules, so neither team can do that.
This looks like an opportunity to do a better job?