2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
runningmanz
runningmanz

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Whats all these BS rumors about Dan being replaced by Gasly. Check that Twitter with Albert Fabrega replying as well who seemed to start this whole mysterious driver swap rumor. Why the heck would McLaren do that when Zak only recently said Dan was contracted until the end of 2023. For Gasly as well? Cmon the guy was nowhere near Verstappen and got booted from RBR. Sounds like a load of bollocks. Please tell me McLaren are not this stupid. Dan has just got comfortable in this new car.

djos

Just bs media rubbish!
"In downforce we trust"

Emag
Emag

_cerber1 wrote:
28 Apr 2022, 10:54
1m0bius1 wrote:
28 Apr 2022, 01:34
Any upgrades planned for Miami? I assume they will leave it till barcelona
I don’t know if there will be updates, but they are very necessary, despite the logistics, it makes sense to bring them to Miami. Mercedes will present part of the new package there.
From the rumors we know so far, the bigger upgrades will be coming in Barcelona.

They may still bring some tweaks in Miami though I doubt it would be anything significant, because as you said, it doesn't make too much sense logistically.

If they were on a title battle, then yeah, just go for it. But I don't mind "wasting" a race if it means a better understood package for Barcelona in these circumstances.

Macklaren
Macklaren

All these stories about long straights in Miami and Ferrari bringing a low DF package...should be good for the MCL36 if lack of downforce is currently the main issue? Assuming they bring a new low DF rear wing as well. Also, we will see if the Merc engine is indeed deficient

Macklaren
Macklaren

runningmanz wrote:
28 Apr 2022, 13:33
Whats all these BS rumors about Dan being replaced by Gasly. Check that Twitter with Albert Fabrega replying as well who seemed to start this whole mysterious driver swap rumor. Why the heck would McLaren do that when Zak only recently said Dan was contracted until the end of 2023. For Gasly as well? Cmon the guy was nowhere near Verstappen and got booted from RBR. Sounds like a load of bollocks. Please tell me McLaren are not this stupid. Dan has just got comfortable in this new car.

I really respect Joe Saward and something is brewing with Colton for sure but ZERO chance Zak even thinks of putting him in an F1 seat without a few tests first. More than likely, Zak has offered to make him F1 ready for the Andretti F1 entry -- possibly in exchange for Alex Rossi (who is strongly rumored to take the third AMSP seat in Indycar in 2023).

Also Gasly LOL. I think he's very talented but there are 5 other people I'd rather put in the seat first (including Pato O'Ward, Piastri who looks set to be locked out of the grid if ALO gets his 2-yr extension like Saward thinks and even Albon, who will prob get along with Lando better)

diffuser

runningmanz wrote:

He's never run in F2 or F3 so all the F1 tracks would be brand new to him. The first year would be absolute nightmare. It's a Joke.

billamend
billamend

Macklaren wrote:
28 Apr 2022, 14:24
I think he's very talented but there are 5 other people I'd rather put in the seat first (including Pato O'Ward, Piastri who looks set to be locked out of the grid if ALO gets his 2-yr extension like Saward thinks and even Albon, who will prob get along with Lando better)
Agree. Would love to see Albon in a McLaren.

diffuser

Macklaren wrote:
28 Apr 2022, 14:18
All these stories about long straights in Miami and Ferrari bringing a low DF package...should be good for the MCL36 if lack of downforce is currently the main issue? Assuming they bring a new low DF rear wing as well. Also, we will see if the Merc engine is indeed deficient
McLaren and Alpine have tall gears, McLAren and ALpine weren't using 8th gear at Imola. Merc and AMR(AMR is using the Merc gearbox) have simillar gearing to Ferrari. RBR have gearing that is somewhere between Ferrari and McLaren but closer to Ferrari. Alpine have the tallest gears. So I'm interested in seeing how that all plays out with regards to top speed.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Macklaren wrote:
28 Apr 2022, 14:18
If lack of downforce is an issue, you will suffer in all types of circuits… A low DF rear wing (which needs to work in tandem with a low DF front wing to keep balance in the car) would make them lose way too much time in the slow sections of the track and potentially destroy the tires if they don’t have enough aero load.

diffuser

billamend wrote:
28 Apr 2022, 14:36
Macklaren wrote:
28 Apr 2022, 14:24
I think he's very talented but there are 5 other people I'd rather put in the seat first (including Pato O'Ward, Piastri who looks set to be locked out of the grid if ALO gets his 2-yr extension like Saward thinks and even Albon, who will prob get along with Lando better)
Agree. Would love to see Albon in a McLaren.
Piastri looks set to go to Willaims.

Why not just extend Ricciardo ? He's not a disaster. With Piastri, you're just developing a driver for Alpine. Anyways this conversation is way too early. Next year is an option year for Ricciardo, at his discretion. Who know what 2024 will look like. The time between now and 2024 is more time than the time Ricciardo has spent at McLaren.

Macklaren
Macklaren

diffuser wrote:
28 Apr 2022, 15:41

Why not just extend Ricciardo ? He's not a disaster. With Piastri, you're just developing a driver for Alpine. Anyways this conversation is way too early. Next year is an option year for Ricciardo, at his discretion. Who know what 2024 will look like. The time between now and 2024 is more time than the time Ricciardo has spent at McLaren.
If Daniel is not up to Lando's speed by the end of this season, there is no way he will have the motivation to continue after 2023 because he will clearly be the team's #2 driver at that point and he won't want to deal with that

diffuser

SmallSoldier wrote:
27 Apr 2022, 23:17
diffuser wrote:
27 Apr 2022, 23:04
JPower wrote:
27 Apr 2022, 22:33

I don't think so. It looks like the McLaren is excellent on corner exit but he could always want more on entry and mid corner.
If I had to break it down I'd say their Mechanical grip is great but thier aero DF isn't efficient. So the faster the cars travels the more held back(drag) the car is in comparison to others.

Also that map is binary, so it only shows who's faster in that section not by how much. Like in the blue section maybe Norris is just a 10th behind while in the slow corners Alo is 2 10ths behind.
Are those from Q2 (Soft Runs) at Imola? We can probably tell how much time was gained lost in corner and on the straights too
Yep, think that's all they ran were softs in the dry. Doudt they would get a "fastest lap" on Medium.

diffuser

Macklaren wrote:
28 Apr 2022, 16:27
diffuser wrote:
28 Apr 2022, 15:41

If Daniel is not up to Lando's speed by the end of this season, there is no way he will have the motivation to continue after 2023 because he will clearly be the team's #2 driver at that point and he won't want to deal with that

$17,000,000 isn't motivation? I don't pretend to know what's going through Daniels head but he would probably announce his retirement/not returning in Sept - Nov (this year) time frame if he isn't returning to McLaren.

Macklaren
Macklaren

diffuser wrote:
28 Apr 2022, 16:47

$17,000,000 isn't motivation? I don't pretend to know what's going through Daniels head but he would probably announce his retirement/not returning in Sept - Nov (this year) time frame if he isn't returning to McLaren.
I don't claim to understand what motivates people worth than $100 mm probably (LOL) -- but at some point, money stops being the motivation. You've seen that many elite athletes and CEOs who have walked away from a huge payday

adrianjordan

runningmanz wrote:

I'll stick them in the same circular file as the rumours of Hamilton not even seeing this season out.

Absolute codswallop!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️