2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
wogx

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

M̶c̶l̶a̶r̶e̶n̶’̶s̶ ̶M̶i̶a̶m̶i̶ ̶G̶P̶ ̶s̶p̶e̶c̶i̶a̶l̶ ̶l̶i̶v̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶p̶o̶t̶e̶n̶t̶i̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶l̶e̶a̶k̶e̶d̶ ̶b̶y̶ ̶R̶o̶c̶k̶e̶t̶ ̶L̶e̶a̶g̶u̶e̶ ̶g̶a̶m̶e̶

Lando just said on stream that this will just be an in-game thing and won't be in real life.
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

Darth-Piekus

If Mclaren is going to replace a driver there are drivers that are leagues better than Gasly. Like Alonso for example.

Emag
Emag

Darth-Piekus wrote:
28 Apr 2022, 20:48
If Mclaren is going to replace a driver there are drivers that are leagues better than Gasly. Like Alonso for example.
Alonso is at the sunset of sunsets in terms of his career. He is pushing on because for starters, he still is one of the fastest guys around, but also because he loves the sport. He is basically doing what he enjoys most while being paid a decent sum of money as well, so there's no downsides really.

But if you want to build a team based around long-term stability, Alonso is probably not the guy to sign. Even if he is faster than most of the grid right now.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Emag wrote:
28 Apr 2022, 22:01
Darth-Piekus wrote:
28 Apr 2022, 20:48
Alonso is at the sunset of sunsets in terms of his career. He is pushing on because for starters, he still is one of the fastest guys around, but also because he loves the sport. He is basically doing what he enjoys most while being paid a decent sum of money as well, so there's no downsides really.

But if you want to build a team based around long-term stability, Alonso is probably not the guy to sign. Even if he is faster than most of the grid right now.
The guy is so rounded and so fit and hungry though that I don’t think his age is the barrier it once was for drivers. He just needs a package to mix it with the podium contenders. I think now though that he stays at Alpine on a two year extension.

Ricciardo has looked way better this year already to me- very close to Lando, right on the pace, and just a little unlucky.

Our line up is excellent- Lando just happens to be a top prospect and therefore Ricciardo has had to adjust mentally to that.

djos

Agreed, Daniel has been on the pace and within a 1/10th or 2 of Lando - he got very unlucky in qually and the race at Imola.
"In downforce we trust"

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

diffuser wrote:
28 Apr 2022, 16:45
SmallSoldier wrote:
27 Apr 2022, 23:17
diffuser wrote:
27 Apr 2022, 23:04

If I had to break it down I'd say their Mechanical grip is great but thier aero DF isn't efficient. So the faster the cars travels the more held back(drag) the car is in comparison to others.

Also that map is binary, so it only shows who's faster in that section not by how much. Like in the blue section maybe Norris is just a 10th behind while in the slow corners Alo is 2 10ths behind.
Are those from Q2 (Soft Runs) at Imola? We can probably tell how much time was gained lost in corner and on the straights too
Yep, think that's all they ran were softs in the dry. Doudt they would get a "fastest lap" on Medium.
Just wondering which session you were using for the telemetry

runningmanz
runningmanz

djos wrote:
29 Apr 2022, 02:31
Agreed, Daniel has been on the pace and within a 1/10th or 2 of Lando - he got very unlucky in qually and the race at Imola.
Yeah there are so many reasons why McLaren would want to keep Ricciardo, also Zak only recently said Dan is with the team until the end of 2023. McLaren are not Red bull cutting drivers ruthlessly. Besides that they all seem to love him and what he brings to the team.

I really don't understand the flack he has copped after Imola when clearly he has been on Lando's pace all season and actually a couple of times already looked quicker. He was very quick in that first half of the race in Oz and in qualifying in Imola was looking really strong before losing that last Q3 run. Also in a weekend of alot of drivers going off track and also hitting the barriers with bigger mistakes Ricciardo was one of the cleanest making just one small mistake (but ultimately very costly) touching the kerb and twitching the car which if he was on that section of track on his own wouldn't have even been a problem. Quite unlucky to rub wheels with Carlos and spin him around as wheel rubbing happens alot on lap 1 and drivers often get away with it. The other thing too is leading into that corner once committed I struggle to see where else he could have gone but over the kerb as he had an Alfa right behind him so couldn't back out and cede that corner to Sainz and Sainz turning into the corner alongside him. If you look at the angle of Ricciardo's steering at the point he couldn't open it up to steer away from the kerb without hitting Sainz. I guess thats probably a major reason it was deemed a racing incident in the end.

I hope McLaren come out soon and put these stupid rumors to rest. Its on overdrive in Twitter and other forums already.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

runningmanz wrote:
28 Apr 2022, 13:33
Whats all these BS rumors about Dan being replaced by Gasly. Check that Twitter with Albert Fabrega replying as well who seemed to start this whole mysterious driver swap rumor. Why the heck would McLaren do that when Zak only recently said Dan was contracted until the end of 2023. For Gasly as well? Cmon the guy was nowhere near Verstappen and got booted from RBR. Sounds like a load of bollocks. Please tell me McLaren are not this stupid. Dan has just got comfortable in this new car.

I really like Joe Saward, he's a heck of a writer, his columns are highly entertaining, but he's rarely right about speculations, especially when it comes to the driver market. In fact, he's awful at it! The only thing I remember him getting right was the McLaren back to Mercedes deal and Silverstone getting a long term extension.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

thestig84
thestig84

Stopped reading him ages ago. Just utter rubbish must of the time. Least you find him entertaining....I couldn't even find that redeeming feature!

djos

Agreed, just another worthless scribbler who has prioritised output over quality.
"In downforce we trust"

zxof
zxof

wogx wrote:
28 Apr 2022, 19:33
https://preview.redd.it/rnw42ic9daw81.j ... 3acf6c941e
M̶c̶l̶a̶r̶e̶n̶’̶s̶ ̶M̶i̶a̶m̶i̶ ̶G̶P̶ ̶s̶p̶e̶c̶i̶a̶l̶ ̶l̶i̶v̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶p̶o̶t̶e̶n̶t̶i̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶l̶e̶a̶k̶e̶d̶ ̶b̶y̶ ̶R̶o̶c̶k̶e̶t̶ ̶L̶e̶a̶g̶u̶e̶ ̶g̶a̶m̶e̶

Lando just said on stream that this will just be an in-game thing and won't be in real life.
Thank god it's not real life, in my opinion it has the 90s Hawaiian thirt vibe.

djos

It’s worse that the Honda Dreams BS from the 2K’s!
"In downforce we trust"

Wouter

Daniel Ricciardo - The Taste of Victory | The Daily Show

McLaren Formula 1 Driver Daniel Ricciardo shares a “shoey” with Trevor while chatting about the documentary series
“Drive to Survive” and preparing for the new circuit at the Miami Grand Prix.

The Power of Dreams!

NiyolHuayra
NiyolHuayra

Do we have any rumors about any upgrades for Miami? Or is it probably just minor ie. track specific.

Mansell89
Mansell89

NiyolHuayra wrote:
02 May 2022, 15:03
Do we have any rumors about any upgrades for Miami? Or is it probably just minor ie. track specific.
I think the original plan from what others had shared with us on this board was that Barcelona was the likely place for any significant upgrade.

I think Seidl said in an interview too that they had got a clear development direction after Bahrain fiasco, but that the challenge was patience as ideally the restrictions of budget and testing meant that you’d probably need to land multiple changes at once. I think with Barcelona providing benchmark data from earlier in the year and of course being the former main test track, it would be likely the Spanish GP weekend where we would introduce any new package?

Whether we are ready for that time will tell- would be great if we could and I suspect many teams will be introducing their first major phase of development there.