2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
JordanMugen

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

SmallSoldier wrote:
07 May 2022, 22:43
When Lando hooks those laps, damn is he fast!….
Very positive on the steering and early on the throttle. In total control of the car. =D>

Lando has a quite a different style to optimise the McLaren compared to Daniel's classical 'smooth arc' driving style.

Darth-Piekus wrote:
07 May 2022, 22:29
What are the news regarding the Mercedes Engines? Have they found some improvement to what they are missing compared to Ferrari and Red Bull?
Engines and fuel are homologated until the end of 2025 (unless McLaren change to say Gulf fuel, whereby they will be allowed a new specification compared to Petronas). Engine mapping and battery store are free for now, battery store will be homologated in October IIRC. :)

billamend
billamend

Sector three is a bloodbath. Either they have a lot of drag, or the PU is letting them down.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

CjC wrote:
07 May 2022, 23:22
Swed3120 wrote:
07 May 2022, 23:17
With the PR representation Dani has here , one would think he’s still in with a chance for the WDC , don’t you guy tire of making up new excuses every single weekend ( even if some of them some truth, when something happens once, it’s annoying, twice is suspicious and 3 Is a pattern )
When do we realize that it can’t all be so called bad luck and that the driver and/or team may have something to do with his continued pace deficit. It’s relatively clear that lando has galvanized the Team around him and Dan is now a 2nd driver in all but name , now this isn’t bottas and Hamilton but maybe more a ocon and Alonso Situation
After a slow warm up to his F1 career Lando is proving to be the real deal👍🏻
Slow warm up? Lol… One of the best early seasons of any rookie driver in reality

CjC
CjC

SmallSoldier wrote:
08 May 2022, 00:25
CjC wrote:
Swed3120 wrote:
07 May 2022, 23:17
With the PR representation Dani has here , one would think he’s still in with a chance for the WDC , don’t you guy tire of making up new excuses every single weekend ( even if some of them some truth, when something happens once, it’s annoying, twice is suspicious and 3 Is a pattern )
When do we realize that it can’t all be so called bad luck and that the driver and/or team may have something to do with his continued pace deficit. It’s relatively clear that lando has galvanized the Team around him and Dan is now a 2nd driver in all but name , now this isn’t bottas and Hamilton but maybe more a ocon and Alonso Situation
Slow warm up? Lol… One of the best early seasons of any rookie driver in reality
Yea it was definitely a solid season.
I mean…. remember Aus ‘19 when he couldn’t pass Giovinazzi?
And how he held himself back so not to bin it unnecessarily?
And how he went into most weekends glass half full mentality?
And how Carlos tended to be faster on race day?
For me this is a slow warm up and I don’t think he would deny it either.

It has put him into a good shape because he is a fine racing driver now👍🏻
We have butted heads over Lando before but this time it’s not my intention.
I’m very glad he’s tied into a longish contract to Mclaren👍🏻
Just a fan's point of view

CjC
CjC

billamend wrote:
08 May 2022, 00:21
https://preview.redd.it/d185fc5qo4y81.j ... af0c333abe

Sector three is a bloodbath. Either they have a lot of drag, or the PU is letting them down.
Hopefully plenty of downforce= drag to protect the tyres to aid the constructor P3 pace😎
Just a fan's point of view

Darth-Piekus

I have a feeling that Danny Ric might not be Championship material any more as the age is getting to him or maybe he is unable to get 100% out of the car like Lando does. I just hope Danny Ric will make me eat my words at some point but we are at the second season and I am not sure there are any excuses for poor performance.

MrGapes

I can't believe some of the hate McLaren are getting on social media for Daniels gearbox issue.... I mean come on...

1m0bius1
1m0bius1

Swed3120 wrote:
07 May 2022, 22:53
1m0bius1 wrote:
07 May 2022, 22:50
Funny how basically all the issues this season have happened to daniels car
Funny how that works, you’re behind, so you push the limits more, causes more mistakes and mechanical issues, so you’re further behind
The car had an issue he was sent out late

mwillems

CjC wrote:
08 May 2022, 00:42
SmallSoldier wrote:
CjC wrote:

Totally agree, he did not hit the ground in his rookie season like other current top drivers, such as Hamilton, Leclerc or Verstappen, with whom it was evident that they were going to be championship contenders sooner rather than later, in his first season in fact for Hamilton against Alonso.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

billamend wrote:
08 May 2022, 00:21
https://preview.redd.it/d185fc5qo4y81.j ... af0c333abe

I'm guessing it's drag, since there are two Merc-PU cars within 1-2 tenths of the leaders in S3.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Darth-Piekus wrote:
08 May 2022, 01:01
I have a feeling that Danny Ric might not be Championship material any more as the age is getting to him or maybe he is unable to get 100% out of the car like Lando does. I just hope Danny Ric will make me eat my words at some point but we are at the second season and I am not sure there are any excuses for poor performance.
His Q2 run was compromised by an issue starting the car up, if you don't get out at the right time you tend to miss the window for the best track conditions and track position. Ricardo will come good in the McLaren, he's already won a race where he showed flashes of his talent.

Is he championship material ? Hard to answer until McLaren provide Ricard and Lando with a car capable of challenging for the championship.

runningmanz
runningmanz

Dan does not deserve the criticism he is getting after this qualifying. His first q2 run was compromised by lot of traffic. The second run they had a problem firing up his car which ruined his tire prep. He was faster than Lando in Q1 and looking really good before these issues.

djos

Agreed, Daniel was consistently 1-2/10ths faster than Lando until he suffered the downshift rejection issue in Q2.
"In downforce we trust"

Lucky
Lucky

Funny

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

CjC wrote:
08 May 2022, 00:42
SmallSoldier wrote:
CjC wrote:

Fair, but I wouldn't call it a slow warm up, I'd call it being a rookie.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.