2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
michl420
michl420

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

These sector times indicate that mclaren is very good in the low speed part, because S2 has also a very long straight. Or the driver is very good there.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

It’s bizarre. 0.4s lost on effectively 1 corner, turn 17. Rest is all just full throttle. Must be drag then or they’ve stuck a lot of downforce on the car relative to others. Hence the good S1/S2 performance

CjC
CjC

MrGapes wrote:
08 May 2022, 01:06
I can't believe some of the hate McLaren are getting on social media for Daniels gearbox issue.... I mean come on...
The same social media where someone said that this season Red bull reminds them of Neweys 2007 Mclaren that was fast but fragile!
Even though the 2007 Mclaren was good enough to win the constructors championship AND Newey left Mclaren early 2006 so how he managed to design the 2007 Mclaren I do not know.
Social media is full of ill informed fools who create a stain on the internet🤦🏼‍♂️
Just a fan's point of view

runningmanz
runningmanz

Gutted for Dan thats two quallis in a row now where he has had something out of his control screw him over. Having to push hard on the tyres and use the battery just to make the line stuffed his last Q2 run. Tom actually said it was a good lap considering how heavily compromised it was.

As the informed know he actually has had good pace this year just had --- run of luck esp lately.

djos

Yeah just super frustrating to see him back on form but running into problems outside his control. 😫
"In downforce we trust"

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

CjC wrote:
08 May 2022, 08:30
MrGapes wrote:
08 May 2022, 01:06
I can't believe some of the hate McLaren are getting on social media for Daniels gearbox issue.... I mean come on...
The same social media where someone said that this season Red bull reminds them of Neweys 2007 Mclaren that was fast but fragile!
Even though the 2007 Mclaren was good enough to win the constructors championship AND Newey left Mclaren early 2006 so how he managed to design the 2007 Mclaren I do not know.
Social media is full of ill informed fools who create a stain on the internet🤦🏼‍♂️
Yep, Newey's last McLaren was a bit of a dud actually, the 2006 car. As I remember, Pat Fry was the lead on the 2007, which was an extremely reliable car, which Fernando had the longest point scoring streak for McLaren, till Lando broke the record.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

I just hope Dan doesn't get too down and start believing he's luck won't change. He's looked very handy this weekend. Nothing he could have done about the Q2 situation, used all his energy and most of his tyres just to get to the flag. Hopefully, he'll have one of his great clean starts and the team try to give him a good strategy.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

runningmanz
runningmanz

djos wrote:
08 May 2022, 11:17
Yeah just super frustrating to see him back on form but running into problems outside his control. 😫
Yep and to top it off you have all these people calling for his head yet again when he is actually now on Lando's pace and has been since the start of the year and was arguably quicker the last two quallis but dealt a shite hand both times.

djos

Nailed it! Frankly I think some of the members here don’t actually watch qualifying, they just look at the results and start spouting uninformed rubbish!
"In downforce we trust"

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

RIC was on it. He was ahead of NOR by 0.1/0.2s. Also in FP1/FP2. Just mega unlucky with the downshift issue and then the late release. I think he’s genuinely back and likes the characteristics of the car. Certainly not like last season where I’d wager he was 0.3s off NOR at virtually every track

Mansell89
Mansell89

Couldn’t agree more, Dan has looked better and looked happier. As I said before, I think the covid protocols really hurt him possibly more than others. A winter with his family looks to have done him the world of good. Hopefully he can be given a good strategy today

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

A bit concerned about the strategy for the race… Pirelli is calling it a 2 stop race, with Medium - Hard - Hard or Medium - Hard - Medium the fastest strategies… Nevertheless, McLaren only has one of each on hand and used Softs.

Expect the team to run a couple of long stints on the Medium and Hards in order to be able to bolt Softs to the finish line, not ideal if the pace has to be lower to keep the tires alive.

At the same time, the possibility of Safety Cars and even Red Flags is high given not only the nature of the circuit but the fact that there is almost no grip outside of the racing line and those situations can work for you or against you depending on their timing.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Might not be too bad having softs on hand given the chance of rain and the track has been washed clean

BosF1
BosF1

And based on the practice sessions the hard tyre is extremely difficult to get to grip with (pun intended), with a lot people sliding all over the place. The mediums seem the prefered tyre, but I agree with PhilipM, those softs might come in handy. Just hoping Macca can make the different compounds last.

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
08 May 2022, 17:52
A bit concerned about the strategy for the race… Pirelli is calling it a 2 stop race, with Medium - Hard - Hard or Medium - Hard - Medium the fastest strategies… Nevertheless, McLaren only has one of each on hand and used Softs.

Expect the team to run a couple of long stints on the Medium and Hards in order to be able to bolt Softs to the finish line, not ideal if the pace has to be lower to keep the tires alive.

At the same time, the possibility of Safety Cars and even Red Flags is high given not only the nature of the circuit but the fact that there is almost no grip outside of the racing line and those situations can work for you or against you depending on their timing.
Just thinking back to the slow speed on the straights.... praying it really is because they dialled in more downforce and the tyres will subsequently last longer, and not that the car is simply draggy.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit