2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

mwillems wrote:
08 May 2022, 19:42
SmallSoldier wrote:
08 May 2022, 17:52
A bit concerned about the strategy for the race… Pirelli is calling it a 2 stop race, with Medium - Hard - Hard or Medium - Hard - Medium the fastest strategies… Nevertheless, McLaren only has one of each on hand and used Softs.

Expect the team to run a couple of long stints on the Medium and Hards in order to be able to bolt Softs to the finish line, not ideal if the pace has to be lower to keep the tires alive.

At the same time, the possibility of Safety Cars and even Red Flags is high given not only the nature of the circuit but the fact that there is almost no grip outside of the racing line and those situations can work for you or against you depending on their timing.
Just thinking back to the slow speed on the straights.... praying it really is because they dialled in more downforce and the tyres will subsequently last longer, and not that the car is simply draggy.
I’m positive that the lack of straight line speed is due to additional drag / downforce… I don’t think that is because the team purposely was trying to go for a setup that protected the tires, but more just a function of using a very similar package for this first 5 races, therefore not having a lower drag / DF package available for this race.

Hopefully the parts expected for Barcelona will help generate more DF from the floor itself and therefore allow for a smaller rear wing and beam wing and the lower drag package that should follow.

The difference in top speeds were massive with McLaren clearly at the bottom of those charts… But, the higher downforce configuration should help the team protect the tires during the race, the only concern is that they could be sitting ducks without DRS on the back straight

Darth-Piekus

Did both Mclaren's gain some positions? I heard that both Aston Martin are starting from the pitlane. Anyone knows anything?

Watto
Watto

Darth-Piekus wrote:
08 May 2022, 21:18
Did both Mclaren's gain some positions? I heard that both Aston Martin are starting from the pitlane. Anyone knows anything?
Yeah, both Auton's starting from pit lane, said it was some fueling issue. Something about the fuel being too cool for F1 regs so they will warm it up from pit lane rather then incur a penalty if they started from the grid.

Darth-Piekus

It's go time. Forza Mclaren.

Not that good of a start this time. Norris lost one place, Ricciardo gained two places but lost one and I feel that both are sitting ducks in that last Part.
Last edited by Darth-Piekus on 08 May 2022, 21:39, edited 1 time in total.

blastdoman
blastdoman

Bad pace of both drivers :(

Darth-Piekus

Danny Ric is struggling a lot and Lando Norris might also have problems in those straights due to drag. Things haven't started well but it's a long race.

You have to admit though that Fernando Alonso is a master in starts.
Last edited by Darth-Piekus on 08 May 2022, 21:41, edited 1 time in total.

CjC
CjC

blastdoman wrote:
08 May 2022, 21:39
Bad pace of both drivers :(
Indeed it currently is. It’s the lack of straight line speed it seems🤦🏼‍♂️
Just a fan's point of view

ScottR267
ScottR267

Danny Ric appears to be a sitting duck

Darth-Piekus

Danny Ric has lost many places. His pace is bad. Lando is a little better now but still he can't follow Alonso,Gasly or Hamilton. Miami hits Mclaren weaknesses pretty hard.

CjC
CjC

They’ll do well so score any points today🤦🏼‍♂️
Just a fan's point of view

Darth-Piekus

Miami might be a lost cause. It hits the car's weaknesses pretty hard. Let's hope for some points here so we keep the distance from the other midfields.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Let’s wait and see how long they can take those mediums… There are already a few drivers pitting, a tire delta towards the end of the race could be critical… The pace has settle, it will be interesting to see how the pace starts changing with tire deg.

BosF1
BosF1

I actually think both cars are in tyre preservation mode. If they can go a 1 stop, this pace would be very good. Otherwise an alternative 2-stopper with softs in the last stint is the way to go.

Darth-Piekus

Even if that's the case how many positions do you think it can give? I'm not sure they have the pace for it unless they have a plan which might work later.

blastdoman
blastdoman

This race remembers me last year Mexico race :(