Mercedes W13

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
morefirejules08
morefirejules08

Re: Mercedes W13

Other than the edge wing, I’m not sure all that much has changed with the floor https://www.alamy.com/lewis-hamilton-gb ... 20713.html

cplchanb
cplchanb

morefirejules08 wrote:
19 May 2022, 19:10
Other than the edge wing, I’m not sure all that much has changed with the floor https://www.alamy.com/lewis-hamilton-gb ... 20713.html
look at the previous page...the venturi tunnel has been markedly enlarged.

AeroDynamic

Last edited by AeroDynamic on 19 May 2022, 19:31, edited 2 times in total.

morefirejules08
morefirejules08

cplchanb wrote:
19 May 2022, 19:11
morefirejules08 wrote:
look at the previous page...the venturi tunnel has been markedly enlarged.
I’m not convinced it has

Richard
Richard

adrianjordan wrote:
19 May 2022, 12:27
hollus wrote:
18 May 2022, 21:59
Once more. What would it take to get posters to actually pay attention to the thread rules?
A minor miracle??!! 😝
... or even recall long gone moderators to splat the errant posts. 8)

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

morefirejules08 wrote:
So you have a picture of the underside that youre keeping to yourself?

morefirejules08
morefirejules08

Mchamilton wrote:
19 May 2022, 19:42
morefirejules08 wrote:
So you have a picture of the underside that youre keeping to yourself?
Yes but I promised Toto not to share it on the internet.

atanatizante

Seems to be another RW, with a shorter and concave DRS flap together with a larger and spooned main plain flap that resembled the first RW iteration they used until Imola ...

And did they widen the mirror support winglet or it`s just the picture taken from above?

"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

PlatinumZealot

These visually small changes at this stage are a good sign because it means the concept is sound.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Mamba
Mamba

PlatinumZealot wrote:
19 May 2022, 20:11
These visually small changes at this stage are a good sign because it means the concept is sound.
Or they don't want to confuse themselves by bringing more big upgrades and they get even more lost with extra variables now added if things don't work. Their biggest upgrade weekend ended with them being quite confused by the performance swing so no real big upgrades besides some floor changes here makes sense.

holeindalip
holeindalip

atanatizante wrote:
19 May 2022, 20:07
Seems to be another RW, with a shorter and concave DRS flap together with a larger and spooned main plain flap that resembled the first RW iteration they used until Imola ...

And did they widen the mirror support winglet or it`s just the picture taken from above?

https://postimages.org/
They’ve always been that wide….

Spacepace

atanatizante wrote:

Looks like the outermost floor strakes extend closer to the front wheels

Andi76
Andi76

PlatinumZealot wrote:
I am sorry to say this, but i doubt it is. Why are all the other teams going in a different direction? And why does Mercedes have so many problems? I think they just have the problem that they cannot change this concept in a way that they would need to. They cannot add the pressurisation zone under the sidepod inlets because their inlets go all the way down to the floor. They cannot get more air to the rear and beamwing to drive the floor, because their concept required a huge airbox and engine-cover.They did this to get more air over the top of the diffusor, and now they have to stay with that, because they cannot change everything from the sidepod inlets to the rear-axle. But this would be necessary to do changes like that and this would literally mean a new car. Just adding bigger sidepods, like some people suggested, would not work, because this means less air over the top of the diffusor, but thats an essential part of their concept and they sacrificed airflow to the rear-and beamwing because of that and their whole cooling-system was designed with the intention to get as much air as possible over the top of the diffusor. And now they just cannot change it. I think Mercedes has the problem that they are basically trapped within their concept.

cplchanb
cplchanb

Andi76 wrote:
19 May 2022, 20:46
PlatinumZealot wrote:
I am sorry to say this, but i doubt it is. Why are all the other teams going in a different direction? And why does Mercedes have so many problems? I think they just have the problem that they cannot change this concept in a way that they would need to. They cannot add the pressurisation zone under the sidepod inlets because their inlets go all the way down to the floor. They cannot get more air to the rear and beamwing to drive the floor, because their concept required a huge airbox and engine-cover.They did this to get more air over the top of the diffusor, and now they have to stay with that, because they cannot change everything from the sidepod inlets to the rear-axle. But this would be necessary to do changes like that and this would literally mean a new car. Just adding bigger sidepods, like some people suggested, would not work, because this means less air over the top of the diffusor, but thats an essential part of their concept and they sacrificed airflow to the rear-and beamwing because of that and their whole cooling-system was designed with the intention to get as much air as possible over the top of the diffusor. And now they just cannot change it. I think Mercedes has the problem that they are basically trapped within their concept.
Lets revisit this statement on Monday. AM is doing the exact thing you stated above. They have the merc airbox with RB sidepods. We'll see whos right after this race. :arrow:

F1Krof

atanatizante wrote:

Yep, that seems to be a completely new mirror winglet set. Seem like they flattened that part and joined them all-together.
Wroom wroom