McLaren MCL36

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: McLaren MCL36

chrisgr wrote:
19 May 2022, 19:37
Any news on other updates (besides brakes)? I am expecting this weekend like it's the first of the season..
I’ll try to share them as soon as they become available… The team may not have left the garage yet and that’s why pictures aren’t available :)

CjC
CjC

Lucky wrote:
19 May 2022, 14:03
Measurements by Red Bull and Mercedes have shown that the Ferrari engine is currently four kilowatts (5.4 hp) ahead of the Honda V6 and eight kilowatts (10.8 hp) ahead of the Mercedes.
That could increase. First, Ferrari still has a revision of the hybrid system up its sleeve that can inject more power over longer periods of time. Secondly, some wiggle room has been left in the pre-ignition out of concerns about reliability.
#AMuS
*hit!!
IF the HP figures are true and personally I do think the Merc is behind the Ferrari and Honda, then I don’t think we’ll see a Mercedes powered car winning either the WDC or WCC titles during this PU development freeze….. #-o #-o ](*,) ](*,)
Just a fan's point of view

continuum16

CjC wrote:
19 May 2022, 19:41
Lucky wrote:
Measurements by Red Bull and Mercedes have shown that the Ferrari engine is currently four kilowatts (5.4 hp) ahead of the Honda V6 and eight kilowatts (10.8 hp) ahead of the Mercedes.
That could increase. First, Ferrari still has a revision of the hybrid system up its sleeve that can inject more power over longer periods of time. Secondly, some wiggle room has been left in the pre-ignition out of concerns about reliability.
#AMuS
*hit!!
IF the HP figures are true and personally I do think the Merc is behind the Ferrari and Honda, then I don’t think we’ll see a Mercedes powered car winning either the WDC or WCC titles during this PU development freeze….. #-o #-o ](*,) ](*,)
10hp, while not negligible, can be overcome. RB were winning with a Renault that was estimated to be 20-30hp down on the best at the end of the V8 era (yes I know the Renault had some tricks up its sleeve, but my point still stands).

As far as McLaren goes, their limitations are still much more on the car. Hopefully the revised brakes can set the team back on the path they had in mind in February, before the Bahrain shambles. Still waiting to see anything else, but would expect tweaks to floor and wings at a minimum.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

CjC
CjC

continuum16 wrote:
19 May 2022, 21:16
CjC wrote:
Lucky wrote:
#AMuS
*hit!!
10hp, while not negligible, can be overcome. RB were winning with a Renault that was estimated to be 20-30hp down on the best at the end of the V8 era (yes I know the Renault had some tricks up its sleeve, but my point still stands).

As far as McLaren goes, their limitations are still much more on the car. Hopefully the revised brakes can set the team back on the path they had in mind in February, before the Bahrain shambles. Still waiting to see anything else, but would expect tweaks to floor and wings at a minimum.
Totally agree about the Red Bull Renault back in the V8 era.
And as you say Red Bull had to master a HP deficit for many years during the V8 era and during the V6 era…. They are still masters at it and they have the second most powerful PU as it stands so that makes me think that Red Bull will win any potential titles before a Merc powered car does….
Just a fan's point of view

Swed3120
Swed3120

CjC wrote:
19 May 2022, 21:27
continuum16 wrote:
19 May 2022, 21:16
CjC wrote:

*hit!!

Totally agree about the Red Bull Renault back in the V8 era.
And as you say Red Bull had to master a HP deficit for many years during the V8 era and during the V6 era…. They are still masters at it and they have the second most powerful PU as it stands so that makes me think that Red Bull will win any potential titles before a Merc powered car does….
Biggest problem currently is they are combining the least powerful PU with a car that has a barn door attached to the rear end, if they can get more downforce from the floor and run something closer to a RB rear wing , they may be in with a chance at beating the Silver Basketballs

Lucky
Lucky

ImageImage

f1rules
f1rules

i dont know if anything changed. AM manage to bring a complete update, lets see what this team can do, im getting ready for another dis...

Last edited by f1rules on 20 May 2022, 07:17, edited 2 times in total.

michl420
michl420

All that moaning about presumably 10 hp. Fur sure it would be better the other way around. But this is tiny. If you get your tires 3C closer to the optimum temperatur it will bring probably more lap time.

F1NAC

f1rules wrote:
20 May 2022, 07:10
i dont know if anything changed. AM manage to bring a complete update, lets see what this team can do, im getting ready for another dis...

https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... tai-1.webp
According to Baretto, there is a big upgrade incoming, worth up to 0.5 s. .... will see

f1rules
f1rules

found this on twitter, lets see still, took all others one week to copy this small feature

Emag
Emag

Did they come out of the garage at all yesterday? Surprising that we didn't get any pictures of the full car.

Nevertheless, I wouldn't expect changes of the magnitude AM brought. They were working on that redesign for a while now, and it's also just a copy-paste of RedBull so they didn't really have to evaluate a new concept.

However, according to some rumors, there should be changes to the floor and the to the strakes on the entrance of the tunnels for McLaren.

_cerber1

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

updated sidepods?

mclaren111

What is this thing hanging under the chassis ?

organic