2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PhillipM
PhillipM

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Yeah, Hamilton started that as soon as he knew he could be fast enough to be near the front in Q anyway, he's set the car up for the race instead for years.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

Brawn, though, understands Hamilton is compromising his own races to gather data for Mercedes and find solutions for their problems, while Russell has then been free to follow a “more conventional path”.

“These first few races he’s been looking for the solutions and in doing so, he’s been ping-ponging around with different set-ups on the car, trying to reach the solutions,” said Brawn of Hamilton’s strategy.

“He’s probably sacrificing the races in a way to try to get the information and data the team can use to solve the problem.

“That’s the feedback I get from the team, while George is following a more conventional path…and Lewis is trying to set out to solve the problem.
“That’s why I think people saying George has outqualified and outraced him in the last few races can’t see the bigger picture.”

From an article on planetf1

PlatinumZealot

Wow! He's a hero for this!

Awesome. We really need the car back in fight. And sort of explains George's subdued demeanour when he bags a good result.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

RZS10

AMG.Tzan wrote:
24 May 2022, 22:55
Why didn’t they race the Miami spec front wing with the clever end plate??
Stuff like that doesn't belong in the car thread ... and they did on both cars.
Pics from xpb Spain race day gallery https://xpbimages.com/f1/event/f1-2022-esp/race

SuperCNJ
SuperCNJ

For me, one of the most encouraging signs of real race pace from Merc is the fact that Lewis did a 1:24.253 on lap 51 while chasing down Sainz (and was probably not looking to set the fastest lap) and was only marginally beaten by Perez who did a 1:24.108 and was actually going for fastest lap on the same tyres.

napoleon1981
napoleon1981

Mchamilton wrote:
24 May 2022, 19:42
Brawn, though, understands Hamilton is compromising his own races to gather data for Mercedes and find solutions for their problems, while Russell has then been free to follow a “more conventional path”.

“These first few races he’s been looking for the solutions and in doing so, he’s been ping-ponging around with different set-ups on the car, trying to reach the solutions,” said Brawn of Hamilton’s strategy.

“He’s probably sacrificing the races in a way to try to get the information and data the team can use to solve the problem.

“That’s the feedback I get from the team, while George is following a more conventional path…and Lewis is trying to set out to solve the problem.
“That’s why I think people saying George has outqualified and outraced him in the last few races can’t see the bigger picture.”

I would have believed that, had it not been for the "hey guys, lets save the engine comment" that indicates the exact opposite, and we all heard it.

zibby43
zibby43

napoleon1981 wrote:
25 May 2022, 02:17
Mchamilton wrote:

I would have believed that, had it not been for the "hey guys, lets save the engine comment" that indicates the exact opposite, and we all heard it.
lol wut

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

napoleon1981 wrote:
Mchamilton wrote:

I think its pretty obvious these comments by Ross were made prior to the barcelona race. Glaringly obvious infact

silver
silver

Mchamilton wrote:

Somewhere things don't align. I am not sure if I should trust an outsider's statement over what the drivers and the team personnel have said themselves.

Hamilton himself says, there was an experiment with Russell's car which gave him advantage, which means, he was driving with conventional setup in Spain.
https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-auto ... in-F1-news
"We just have some improvements to make for it in qualifying. Our cars were a little bit different, we experimented something on George's car which ultimately [ended up] being the better way to go in qualifying so maybe the next race I can take that on.
This is what Toto said after Bahrain qualifying.
https://the-race.com/formula-1/why-russ ... -so-badly/
Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff felt Russell should be absolved of blame for that qualifying strategy.

“It was probably us misguiding him in his last outing because we advised him to push on the out-lap even stronger and he probably had no edge anymore to the new tyre,” said Wolff.
In Imola, where they had a performance difference, this is what Shovlin had to say then.
https://www.sportskeeda.com/f1/news-a-s ... 1-imola-gp
“[It was] a slight difference but not so much as it will change the way the cars are behaving, We've just got Lewis on a slightly lower level than George. But you're just talking a couple of kph on the straights. “
Here is what Russell said after Australia.
https://racingnews365.com/russell-expla ... n-hamilton
"I think I was probably [using] a bit more of an aggressive set-up compared to Lewis, and [was] quicker in some corners, but then losing all of my lap time in that," he explained.
This is what Russell said after Saudi.
https://racingnews365.com/russell-gives ... udi-arabia
"On Lewis' side of the garage, they probably went a bit more conservative with the set-up than we did, and that was the difference," Russell told media including RacingNews365.com.
All of that points to Russell trying different things and Hamilton going with conservative and more normal approach.

I have a feeing that while Hamilton is dropping his guard with frustration, Russell is more hungry and tenacious in going much deeper in understanding the car better. Hamilton didn't go to Paul Ricard for the test either. I won't be surprised if Russell opens up a bigger performance difference over Hamilton as the season progresses with the work he is putting in.

napoleon1981
napoleon1981

Mchamilton wrote:
25 May 2022, 07:55
napoleon1981 wrote:
Mchamilton wrote:

I think its pretty obvious these comments by Ross were made prior to the barcelona race. Glaringly obvious infact
Gathering data was as important in Barcelona as on the other tracks. Maybe even more important, giving the upgrade package. I don't see why the timing of Ross comments is relevant really, or are you saying that they were obviously wrong, and he wouldn't repeat these comments after Barca? Btw, from your quote (posted after Barca) the timing of the comments is not obvious. Nothing indicates it was.

PlatinumZealot

Championship winning car is on it's way!

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

pursue_one's

This season, for the various teams there is an additional problem that is that the cooling system must be chosen on Friday evening as it is obviously part of those macro components to choose before entering the parc ferme.

This can lead, at times, to undersize or oversize it as happened in Spain to Mercedes.

"We underestimated the race temperatures, which then turned out to be warmer than expected, using smaller cooling than needed and thus causing the engine to overheat," a team engineer told us.

Always considering that what is chosen is always a compromise between cooling capacity and aerodynamic performance. Using a more open engine cover allows the engine to breathe better but significantly influences the load generation at the rear.

To this we must also add the second problem on Lewis' W13, which suffered a small hydraulic loss from before halfway, which then worsened with the passing of the laps so much that he had to lift his foot thus losing his position to Sainz's F1-75.

After the checks carried out, the engine was deemed usable again. "The loss was a small amount and the engine ended in good condition" they let us know from Mercedes.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

https://www.formu1a.uno/hamilton-non-po ... di-spagna/

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

silver wrote:
25 May 2022, 08:24
Mchamilton wrote:

Somewhere things don't align. I am not sure if I should trust an outsider's statement over what the drivers and the team personnel have said themselves.

Hamilton himself says, there was an experiment with Russell's car which gave him advantage, which means, he was driving with conventional setup in Spain.
"We just have some improvements to make for it in qualifying. Our cars were a little bit different, we experimented something on George's car which ultimately [ended up] being the better way to go in qualifying so maybe the next race I can take that on.
Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff felt Russell should be absolved of blame for that qualifying strategy.

“It was probably us misguiding him in his last outing because we advised him to push on the out-lap even stronger and he probably had no edge anymore to the new tyre,” said Wolff.
In Imola, where they had a performance difference, this is what Shovlin had to say then.
“[It was] a slight difference but not so much as it will change the way the cars are behaving, We've just got Lewis on a slightly lower level than George. But you're just talking a couple of kph on the straights. “
"I think I was probably [using] a bit more of an aggressive set-up compared to Lewis, and [was] quicker in some corners, but then losing all of my lap time in that," he explained.
"On Lewis' side of the garage, they probably went a bit more conservative with the set-up than we did, and that was the difference," Russell told media including RacingNews365.com.
All of that points to Russell trying different things and Hamilton going with conservative and more normal approach.

I have a feeing that while Hamilton is dropping his guard with frustration, Russell is more hungry and tenacious in going much deeper in understanding the car better. Hamilton didn't go to Paul Ricard for the test either. I won't be surprised if Russell opens up a bigger performance difference over Hamilton as the season progresses with the work he is putting in.
”With the work he is putting in”. Please share their weekly schedules regarding their meetings with engineers at the factory to develop the cars, how much sim time each of them puts in, and whose input the team is mostly taking into account. Then we can get a serious indication about the work effort they put in. Missing a filming day, where you don’t even push the car to the limit and merely run through some parts have very little bearing on things. At least Hamilton’s performance in Barcelona indicated that it did not make much of a difference is it?

Let’s make it clear, Hamilton still has had the upper hand in Bahrain, Melbourne, Miami and Barcelona come race day compared to Russell pase wise. Russell was better in two races, Jeddah and Imola. Keep that in mind before jumping to overly quick conclusions about things.

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

Tvetovnato wrote:
25 May 2022, 17:41
silver wrote:
25 May 2022, 08:24
Mchamilton wrote:

”With the work he is putting in”. Please share their weekly schedules regarding their meetings with engineers at the factory to develop the cars, how much sim time each of them puts in, and whose input the team is mostly taking into account. Then we can get a serious indication about the work effort they put in. Missing a filming day, where you don’t even push the car to the limit and merely run through some parts have very little bearing on things. At least Hamilton’s performance in Barcelona indicated that it did not make much of a difference did it?

Let’s make it clear, Hamilton still has had the upper hand in Bahrain, Melbourne, Miami and Barcelona come race day compared to Russell pase wise. Russell was better in two races, Jeddah and Imola. Keep that in mind before jumping to overly quick conclusions about things.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Both guys have been trying different things so far this season. Theres plenty of evidence of that. They are not driving the exact same car as each other every weekend, which makes a true pace comparison difficult. But lewis in spain was the old lewis and i havent seen george drive to that level in a race yet.