2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Emag
Emag

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Macklaren wrote:
27 May 2022, 18:01
They are in the mix. Now we need some luck.
I feel like RB/Ferrari are out of touch, but perhaps beating Mercedes is possible. I hope Daniel gets dialed in. Can't afford a bad quali in Monaco.

And there might be rain for Sunday, so who knows what happens. May even sneak in a freak podium.

Swed3120
Swed3120

Emag wrote:
27 May 2022, 18:56
Macklaren wrote:
I feel like RB/Ferrari are out of touch, but perhaps beating Mercedes is possible. I hope Daniel gets dialed in. Can't afford a bad quali in Monaco.

And there might be rain for Sunday, so who knows what happens. May even sneak in a freak podium.
I agree RB and Ferrari are out of reach , however, one can always trust Leclerc to do his magic , just hoping he doesn’t take out one of ours

CjC
CjC

Emag wrote:
27 May 2022, 18:56
Macklaren wrote:

Or sneak into the wall🤣
Just a fan's point of view

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

SmallSoldier wrote:
27 May 2022, 16:55
Very interesting briefing for Monaco from McLaren, a few interesting nuggets of information:
Lots of great stuff in there. Interesting to see such a careful approach, then in FP2 they pushed it a little bit too far for Dan's car. Shame about that.

4 | Tyres

The other thing we’ll want to look at is tyre behaviour. We’ve got Pirelli’s three softest compounds for the first time this year – though each of the individual compounds has been used before. The C5 isn’t quite as big a step from the C4 as was the case last year – but otherwise the tyres this year have been reasonably ‘normal’.
I felt it was the case that the softer tyres have been a couple of tenths off their usual improvement, though tbh I haven't been keeping track of when they've run the C5s.

Swed3120
Swed3120

I think that radio message after crash pretty much summed up the relationship between the Team and Danny Ric

Engineer: „Daniel is the car okay?“
Ricciardo: „Eh, I’m Okay.“

Yes, I am aware that his engineer probably hasn’t seen the crash yet

Emag
Emag

Swed3120 wrote:
27 May 2022, 23:21
I think that radio message after crash pretty much summed up the relationship between the Team and Danny Ric

This was clarified over and over again.

The engineer doesn't immediately know what happens. He just assumed he had a spin or something. He only saw Daniel had crashed a bit later.

Swed3120
Swed3120

Emag wrote:
27 May 2022, 23:33
Swed3120 wrote:

This was clarified over and over again.

The engineer doesn't immediately know what happens. He just assumed he had a spin or something. He only saw Daniel had crashed a bit later.
Did you even read the last bit before furiously typing off a reply…

Im more inclined to believe a Freudian slip, but either way, it ain’t good

A.J.O
A.J.O

Swed3120 wrote:

Insert the next line in your quote
Engineer: ah yes, I see now. OK <- very reasonable to deduce that he had no idea why DR was stopped on track

Lando was behind DR at the time. He didn't seem very sympathetic in his communication to his Engineer. Didn't ask if he was alright or anything but I wouldn't take to much from it. kind of an age/ personality type, thing.

Lucky
Lucky

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

Monza aside, Ricciardo has delivered a great deal of not much over almost 30 races.

The excuses are wearing thin.

dfegan358
dfegan358

Fulcrum wrote:
28 May 2022, 12:46
Monza aside, Ricciardo has delivered a great deal of not much over almost 30 races.

The excuses are wearing thin.
I agree completely. How long does he need to get up to speed ? He’s just been put in his place by a faster driver. Happens in the sport. I’d imagine McLaren will definitely consider replacing him if possible, someone else could replicate his role as a second driver for a lot less cash.

Norris has done a great job. Hopefully ricciardo can get closer in qualifying and have better performances going forward on a consistent basis.

Swed3120
Swed3120

So it seems Norris will be fighting gasly at the front for P4/P5 and Daniel will be fighting Hamilton and Albon for P13/14

Mansell89
Mansell89

Pretty sure Danny never got a clean flying lap in the second half of FP3- lap for lap at similar times he seemed much closer so I expect him to be okay in quali.

Feel like Lando can potentially get close to front row if he absolutely perfects one - he did a great quali lap last year and if he can do another you never know.

Darth-Piekus

I always find Monaco and Hungaroring as best indications that test the aerodynamic package of each team. In my opinion so far in terms of aerodynamics the best are Ferrari and Red Bull. Then comes Mclaren with Torro Rosso very close (half a tenth) then the rest seem to be 2 tenths behind including Mercedes. That to me shows that the team has at least the 3rd best chassis in terms of aerodynamics or equal with Torro Rosso in 3rd while the rest including Mercedes seem to be 2 tenths slower. The difference to the first two should be half a second in terms of aerodynamics. The question for James Key is can he find half a second with tweaking the new package?

Stig14
Stig14

Darth-Piekus wrote:
28 May 2022, 14:05
I always find Monaco and Hungaroring as best indications that test the aerodynamic package of each team. In my opinion so far in terms of aerodynamics the best are Ferrari and Red Bull. Then comes Mclaren with Torro Rosso very close (half a tenth) then the rest seem to be 2 tenths behind including Mercedes. That to me shows that the team has at least the 3rd best chassis in terms of aerodynamics or equal with Torro Rosso in 3rd while the rest including Mercedes seem to be 2 tenths slower. The difference to the first two should be half a second in terms of aerodynamics. The question for James Key is can he find half a second with tweaking the new package?
I'm not sure Monaco is a good test of aerodynamics- it's more of a test of low speed mechanical grip and traction, along with driver talent/comfort with the car.

Barcelona gives a much better read in terms of aero with a mix of high, medium and low speed corners. With a lot of the teams having new aero packages in Barcelona (McLaren included) it was perhaps harder to get a true read into the overall picture and instead was a yardstick for who was able to optimise what they had in a relatively short space of time.