2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Swed3120
Swed3120

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

1m0bius1 wrote:
29 May 2022, 12:18
I have a theory. Mclaren hired Dan with the intention of him being number 1 driver. Dan gave his feedback during 2021. I remember James key was saying he would still carry the old car philosipy forward to the 2022 car and we can see that is bears much of the same traits. Pathetic in low speed and decent in med and high speed. This was probably done to appease Lando. Dan not happy and probably doesnt care anymore. On the helmet he texted FEA. Which means f them all. Mclaren probabably detuning his car so they can activate a performace clause to get rid.
<personal stuff removed>
A) lando has stated multiple times he doesn’t like an understeering car
B) the WCC standing bring in multiple millions per positions swing ,McL racing is a Company first and foremost and would never try to underperform , Daniel is potentially costing them millions of pounds in lost WCC standings , never mind his massive salary
C) of course the car carry’s some inbuilt philosophy forward, so does every other team , not because they choose to but because it was designed and built by the same engineers.
D) Dan simply hasn’t been able to adjust <personal stuff removed>

DiogoBrand

Alonso, Hamilton and Vettel are old and expensive.
Albon and Gasly had the same problem on RBR that Ric has on McLaren.

Lucky for us you guys aren't managing the team.

Edit.
Also, detuning the car to screw over a driver? :roll:

proteus

Emag wrote:
29 May 2022, 13:18
Yeah, this is inline with the stupid comments about Ferrari purposefully f*cking over Vettel in 2020. No team would ruin their driver's race on purpose because the team is the first to lose on that scenario. These are bullsh*t narratives driven by delusional fanboys who can't accept that their favorite driver isn't driving up to par.
Life mechanics intentionally left oil out of the engine. But not due to the driver, but because they weren paid 😉
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

djos

Andreas clearly doesn’t agree with the naysayers here in this forum!

https://www.speedcafe.com/2022/05/29/mc ... MuSf_tw0co

Andreas Seidl has thrown his support behind the under-fire Daniel Ricciardo as pressure mounts on the McLaren driver.
"In downforce we trust"

mclaren111

Let's Go Lando... :D :D

A.J.O
A.J.O

djos wrote:
29 May 2022, 14:02

Andreas Seidl has thrown his support behind the under-fire Daniel Ricciardo as pressure mounts on the McLaren driver.
This article highlights the problem I, and I'm sure other analytical minded fans, have with the sport. We are given a window view of the drivers on track but the reasons why a driver performs or not are locked behind closed doors with only snippets like this passed through the mail slot.
A question I would like answered is, why has this team not been been able to give this particular driver a car he can feel comfortable in? Until this question is answered a driver swap is useless

Swed3120
Swed3120

djos wrote:

What’s he gonna do, publicly say „our drivers underperforming and we want to fire him“

Just compare what zak brown is currently saying about Daniel to what Horner and Marko said about Albon in 2020, I think you get the picture

Swed3120
Swed3120

A.J.O wrote:
29 May 2022, 14:37
djos wrote:

This article highlights the problem I, and I'm sure other analytical minded fans, have with the sport. We are given a window view of the drivers on track but the reasons why a driver performs or not are locked behind closed doors with only snippets like this passed through the mail slot.
A question I would like answered is, why has this team not been been able to give this particular driver a car he can feel comfortable in? Until this question is answered a driver swap is useless
I’m confused by what you’ve said; every team on the f1 grid tries to develop a car that is fast and fits their drivers , sadly Teh 2022 cars seem entirely opposed to Daniels driving style, you can’t change that around with a few developments here and there , this is why checo is feeling a lot happier with the car , but also why drivers like Daniel and even max aren’t quite as fast as they used to be, I’d even argue lando doesn’t like it as he’s previously stated that he likes a car with a sharp front end , which absolutely none of the current cars have.

The problem is that you have one driver who can adapt and one who can’t, I’m sure max verstappen is not all to happy with the attributes of the RB, but he isn’t 7 tenths of checo

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Swed3120 wrote:
29 May 2022, 13:20
1m0bius1 wrote:
29 May 2022, 12:18
I have a theory. Mclaren hired Dan with the intention of him being number 1 driver. Dan gave his feedback during 2021. I remember James key was saying he would still carry the old car philosipy forward to the 2022 car and we can see that is bears much of the same traits. Pathetic in low speed and decent in med and high speed. This was probably done to appease Lando. Dan not happy and probably doesnt care anymore. On the helmet he texted FEA. Which means f them all. Mclaren probabably detuning his car so they can activate a performace clause to get rid.
<personal stuff removed>
A) lando has stated multiple times he doesn’t like an understeering car
B) the WCC standing bring in multiple millions per positions swing ,McL racing is a Company first and foremost and would never try to underperform , Daniel is potentially costing them millions of pounds in lost WCC standings , never mind his massive salary
C) of course the car carry’s some inbuilt philosophy forward, so does every other team , not because they choose to but because it was designed and built by the same engineers.
D) Dan simply hasn’t been able to adjust <personal stuff removed>
These cars can’t carry any “philosophy” from previous cars, it is a completely different package.

Not only that, the MCL36 couldn’t be more different than previous cars, beyond the fact that they can’t carry any aero philosophy forward due to the change to ground effect, the suspension is completely different, the car is showing a different bias (it is better in slow speed than it is in high speed as we have seeing this season)… Silly narratives based on nothing but guessing.

Every driver on the grid has had to adapt to a completely different characteristic from these cars

Sofa King
Sofa King

Kind of ironic now that Daniel wasn’t in the F1 intro piece for this year that was filmed in Bahrain

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

I'm fascinated that Sky doesn't know why they are changing tyres. McLaren team feed said that the race director is forcing everyone to start on full wets behind safety car.

Darth-Piekus

Good Luck to both drivers and bring as many points as possible.

michl420
michl420

I hate this forced tire choice. It would be so much more interesting if there are different tires!!!!

Xero

Lando will relish these conditions, but very nervous with it being Monaco.

Darth-Piekus

Well rain is a double edged sword. It can go your way or the opponents way. Let's hope it goes our way.