2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

I'm not sure what is the reasoning for tiptoeing. Maybe they are concerned there will be a massive crash and teams will complain due to the budget cap?

I always felt they are too cautious. Keeping safety cars out too long. But in last years it seemed to have become more logical with what I feel Liberty pushing for more action. This move today is quite strange.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Darth-Piekus wrote:
29 May 2022, 15:13
Well rain is a double edged sword. It can go your way or the opponents way. Let's hope it goes our way.
Agreed but hopefully it gives us an interesting race. Getting P5 or similar results doesn't excite me.

Darth-Piekus

True. As a fan of Mclaren I will only be happy when Mclaren battles for victories. However at the moment we are not able to do that so I suppose finishing from 3rd to 6th is a little victory.

In the meantime Charles Leclect might make it this time. He crashed an older Ferrari in a historical GP so I suppose that curse wen't with it.

Emag
Emag

I hate these moronic "safety" procedures. Can't have any wet races anymore because apparently all wet races are dangerous. Screw this, gotta wait like 30 minutes until the clouds decide to stop pouring.

Can't remember the fu*king last time we had a proper wet race, and if we keep acting as if we are driving inside a kindergarten every time it rains we probably never will.
Last edited by Emag on 29 May 2022, 15:25, edited 1 time in total.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Emag wrote:
29 May 2022, 15:24
I hate these moronic "safety" procedures. Can't have any wet races anymore because apparently all wet races are dangerous. Screw this, gotta wait like 30 minutes until the clouds decide to stop pouring.
They made a problem for themselves, delayed the race when the rain was light, now it is heavy so they have to delay even more. If they started the race we'd get 10-15 minutes of racing before the red flag. Much better TV than delay and then another delay.

Darth-Piekus

Seriously. Why have they all turned to chickens? What is the point of an Extreme Wet Tyre if you can't race in Extreme Wet Conditions?

From what I heard Lando was the only one from the first 5 having Full Wet Tyres while the first 4 had Intermediates. Imagine if he gained the upper hand when the rain started.

Xero

Was the correct call. If half the grid ended up piling up and out of the race everyone would criticise them. It's a winless situation.

Darth-Piekus

On another note how come Mclaren was so much effective on his circuit and in Imola compared to the other races? So effective that Lando was comfortable faster than the midfield.

Xero

Darth-Piekus wrote:
29 May 2022, 15:33
On another note how come Mclaren was so much effective on his circuit and in Imola compared to the other races? So effective that Lando was comfortable faster than the midfield.
The car has good traction and braking power, was the reason the team won at Monza last season.

Darth-Piekus

I understand about Monza last year but what about Monaco and Imola this year? How come the car is so good there to a part where Lando can beat the Mercedes effortlessly and threaten the Red Bull?

Xero

Darth-Piekus wrote:
29 May 2022, 15:39
What about Monaco and Imola this year? How come the car is so good there to a part where Lando can beat the Mercedes effortlessly and threaten the Red Bull?
Like I said, we have better traction. These are traction circuits.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Darth-Piekus wrote:
I understand about Monza last year but what about Monaco and Imola this year? How come the car is so good there to a part where Lando can beat the Mercedes effortlessly and threaten the Red Bull?
Lando said he thinks it's because you have to go completely different direction with setup. So my guess is that the car is bad in slow corners when they need to go fast in medium/fast corners.

Xero

FittingMechanics wrote:
29 May 2022, 15:44
Darth-Piekus wrote:
Lando said he thinks it's because you have to go completely different direction with setup. So my guess is that the car is bad in slow corners when they need to go fast in medium/fast corners.
The team have been good at getting good traction for years, the slow speed issue comes when the tyres scrub sideways. The two aren't necessarily linked to a given setup.

Emag
Emag

The track is wet with water guys, extremely dangerous to touch that stuff. I think it would be safer to wait for it to dry completely and even then, we should consider the possibility of sending the drivers out with hazmat suits just in case.

Darth-Piekus

But Emag don't be silly. This is not water. It's actually Acid Rain. A single touch will melt you on the spot.

In all seriousness. Imagine if Lando Norris gained an advantage in 3 laps once the rain started as he was the only one from the first 5 who had Full Wets. Why remove that advantage.
Last edited by Darth-Piekus on 29 May 2022, 15:59, edited 2 times in total.