2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Mansell89
Mansell89

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Swed3120 wrote:
29 May 2022, 18:08
I think we need to throw a party for Daniel. HE DIDNT GET LAPPED, what a drive from him.

Sarcasm; off

Seriously , what is he even doing, he would have been easily lapped if not for the mid-race Red flag

Perez and sainz showing what second drivers can do , Daniel showing what they can’t
Other than Gasly on inters vs people on wets, and pit stops, there were no passes today.

What did you think he was going to do?

Emag
Emag

Need to see the pace on a normal track. Here it was good. In race pace behind the top 3, but better than any other midfield car. But in Barcelona the pace wasn't good at all. I hope it was more of a "burner" trying to figure out the package. Would be nice to go chasing after the top 2 behind Mercedes from now on.

Emag
Emag

Next track is Baku, ouch. That's gotta be a bad one if they haven't fixed the drag issue (and judging by the speed traps in Barcelona, they haven't).

MrGapes

Lando was insane in that last stint, mind blown. - watching his onboard he absolutely on the limit every lap

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Emag wrote:
29 May 2022, 17:41
SmallSoldier wrote:
29 May 2022, 17:39
A couple more laps and go for Softs? That’s what I would do… But every pit stop implies some risk, but if they want to try and do something different, the window will close soon
Not worth it in my opinion. The pace difference will not be that huge, and even if it is, by the time Lando catches George it will definitely not be enough to go for an overtake. Fernando is going at snails pace and Lewis is unable to overtake him ...
They run out of laps… Again, not much to lose as we saw and potentially an opportunity… But, in the end I believe we got fastest lap, right? (Can’t remember)

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Mansell89 wrote:
29 May 2022, 18:07
Reality was though we were comfortably behind the pace of the big teams in the first phase.

Let’s see how we get on with more conventional tracks but looking like P4 constructor at best.
Nothing new (P4)… I believe that was the clear target since the beginning of the season… Hopefully we can close some of the gap through the year, but P4 would be a good result at the end of the season

CjC
CjC

Did the drivers not speak to the media after the race? I can’t find any interviews in the written press from the usual sources?
Just a fan's point of view

Big Tea

CjC wrote:
29 May 2022, 23:21
Did the drivers not speak to the media after the race? I can’t find any interviews in the written press from the usual sources?
I saw lando speaking to the lady from Sky. not watched it yet though

Edit

When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Darth-Piekus

I just saw Ferrari protesting about both Perez and Verstappen and getting denied. One thing that I love about McLaren is that they play fair unlike Ferrari, Red Bull and Mercedes. They know when to admit defeat. The rest seem to like to point fingers and bend rules calling them loopholes after.

Emag
Emag

The protest was withdrawn because Ferrari said that both RedBulls were within the yellow line. So basically, they called it and they ended it themselves. It was probably more of a clarification thing more so than trying to give a penalty to RedBull drivers.

And to be honest, when you are in a championship fight you will try and gain whatever points you can because the stakes are higher there. McLaren would probably do the same if they were in that position (and unfortunately they haven't been in that position for ages :cry:)

lh13
lh13

Darth-Piekus wrote:I just saw Ferrari protesting about both Perez and Verstappen and getting denied. One thing that I love about McLaren is that they play fair unlike Ferrari, Red Bull and Mercedes. They know when to admit defeat. The rest seem to like to point fingers and bend rules calling them loopholes after.
If McLaren ever fight for the championship again, only then it'll become clear.

Mansell89
Mansell89

How are we expecting to get on in Baku then folks? Last year hopes were high because of our straight line speed but it didn’t turn out like that - Ferraris high traction really helping them in quali for example.

This year we’re a bit more like the 2021 Ferrari I think. Can see us being decent in the middle of the lap but not sure how we will cope down the straights.

Time for a fresh PU?

_cerber1

Mansell89 wrote:
30 May 2022, 08:12
How are we expecting to get on in Baku then folks? Last year hopes were high because of our straight line speed but it didn’t turn out like that - Ferraris high traction really helping them in quali for example.

This year we’re a bit more like the 2021 Ferrari I think. Can see us being decent in the middle of the lap but not sure how we will cope down the straights.

Time for a fresh PU?
According to Toto Wolff, the second version of the engines took a step forward in terms of power and at least in Barcelona, Mercedes with new power plants were in the top in terms of maximum speed. Obviously, it is time for RIC to change his motor to a new one, because, it already has 7 races, Lando has a second engine and it’s more difficult for him, McLaren will probably pull with his replacement. The question of the drag of the MCL36 remains open.

diffuser

_cerber1 wrote:
30 May 2022, 08:39
Mansell89 wrote:

Time for a fresh PU?
According to Toto Wolff, the second version of the engines took a step forward in terms of power and at least in Barcelona, Mercedes with new power plants were in the top in terms of maximum speed. Obviously, it is time for RIC to change his motor to a new one, because, it already has 7 races, Lando has a second engine and it’s more difficult for him, McLaren will probably pull with his replacement. The question of the drag of the MCL36 remains open.
I wouldn't beleive any of that. The PU specs are locked, with the exception to the MGU-H and MGU-K that Freeze in September, those 2 devices can't give you MORE power, they can just give you more efficiency.

They can change the software and turn up the wick but they could have done that to the old PUs too. Then again, what he maybe saying is that with a new PU they can get a 100% of the available power from it, while a PU with 5 races on it, they can only get to 95% of the original power. 5% drop is like 50 HP or more.

trinidefender
trinidefender

diffuser wrote:
30 May 2022, 15:47
_cerber1 wrote:
30 May 2022, 08:39
Mansell89 wrote:

Time for a fresh PU?
I wouldn't beleive any of that. The PU specs are locked, with the exception to the MGU-H and MGU-K that Freeze in September, those 2 devices can't give you MORE power, they can just give you more efficiency.

They can change the software and turn up the wick but they could have done that to the old PUs too. Then again, what he maybe saying is that with a new PU they can get a 100% of the available power from it, while a PU with 5 races on it, they can only get to 95% of the original power. 5% drop is like 50 HP or more.
They will give you maximum power for longer and if there are efficiency gains on the MGU-K then slightly power total power to the wheels (the 120kw is and input power limit ergo if the MGU-K is more efficient then more of that power makes it to the wheels).

Either way the same max power for longer periods means that you are potentially keeping the speed up for longer on a straight or you can use deployment more aggressively. As far as lap time goes it is analogous to having more power.