2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
aran.vtec
aran.vtec

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Man I really wish Daniel was having a better season one of my favorite drivers :oops:

When it comes to setup I wonder if they are running Landos car setup because its showing the Lap times, I remember last year Checo was in the same position using max's car setup but his results improved and became competitive when he took the setup in his own direction and not going off Max's.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

djos wrote:
01 Jun 2022, 11:45
Emag wrote:
01 Jun 2022, 11:15
We have also yet to see a "commanding" performance by Daniel as well. When he is ahead of Lando, he is usually barely ahead making it seem not as impressive as Lando looks when he puts it P5 while Daniel is P14...

Obviously ideally I would want both drivers to perform at their best, so the perfect scenario maybe would have been one driver in P6 and the other P4 or P5.
Monza last year was 100% merit and he out performed Lando across the weekend.
Monza is definitely a highlight for Dan’s McLaren tenure… But, he wasn’t “commanding” as Emag presented it, it’s not like if he was miles ahead of Lando, they arguably were pretty equal with the caveat that Daniel wasn’t going full out and Lando wasn’t attacking him either, so a pretty even performance from both of them.

runningmanz
runningmanz

SmallSoldier wrote:
01 Jun 2022, 15:59
djos wrote:
Emag wrote:
We have also yet to see a "commanding" performance by Daniel as well. When he is ahead of Lando, he is usually barely ahead making it seem not as impressive as Lando looks when he puts it P5 while Daniel is P14...

Obviously ideally I would want both drivers to perform at their best, so the perfect scenario maybe would have been one driver in P6 and the other P4 or P5.
Monza is definitely a highlight for Dan’s McLaren tenure… But, he wasn’t “commanding” as Emag presented it, it’s not like if he was miles ahead of Lando, they arguably were pretty equal with the caveat that Daniel wasn’t going full out and Lando wasn’t attacking him either, so a pretty even performance from both of them.
Sorry but Dan was clearly better than Lando that weekend. Lando has beaten Dan quite a lot but you can't take away that Monza weekend from Dan.

Dan and Max pulled a gap on Lando to about 5 secs early on in the race. By lap 23 it was almost 10 seconds. Lando only got close to Dan after Lewis and Max crashed and the safety car came out. Also when Dan was told to push he pulled a gap again on Lando and set the fastest lap of the race on the last lap also without a tow proving he had pace in hand. You can have a go at Dan about other races, but in Monza he was clearly the better driver of the two over the weekend.

Slahinki
Slahinki

But if you remove Daniel from the equation, Lando would still have secured the win for McLaren, whereas if you removed Lando that would have been 4 podiums missed out on. Yeah, Danny was stronger than Lando in Monza, but it's not like he finished several positions ahead of him. Unlike in for example Monaco where Lando finished on the podium while lapping his team mate that wasn't even in the points. *That* was a *commanding* performance.

runningmanz
runningmanz

Slahinki wrote:
01 Jun 2022, 16:47
But if you remove Daniel from the equation, Lando would still have secured the win for McLaren, whereas if you removed Lando that would have been 4 podiums missed out on. Yeah, Danny was stronger than Lando in Monza, but it's not like he finished several positions ahead of him. Unlike in for example Monaco where Lando finished on the podium while lapping his team mate that wasn't even in the points. *That* was a *commanding* performance.
Hold on. If Dan wasn't there Max would have won as he wouldn't have been held up and would have streaked away in the lead. An almost 10 sec gap on lap 23:and pace in hand is fairly commanding to me. Anyway this is all beside the point. Dan was clearly the better driver in Monza it's clear from the evidence provided and he deserves full credit for that weekend. Not sure why people continue to unfairly try and take that away from him.

Slahinki
Slahinki

No one is trying to take it away from him, just put it into perspective. It was pretty much the one bright moment in an otherwise underwhelming season.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

runningmanz wrote:
01 Jun 2022, 16:29
SmallSoldier wrote:
djos wrote:

Sorry but Dan was clearly better than Lando that weekend. Lando has beaten Dan quite a lot but you can't take away that Monza weekend from Dan.

Dan and Max pulled a gap on Lando to about 5 secs early on in the race. By lap 23 it was almost 10 seconds. Lando only got close to Dan after Lewis and Max crashed and the safety car came out. Also when Dan was told to push he pulled a gap again on Lando and set the fastest lap of the race on the last lap also without a tow proving he had pace in hand. You can have a go at Dan about other races, but in Monza he was clearly the better driver of the two over the weekend.
I’m not taking it away from him, but I don’t think that there was a big performance gap between them, was he the “better driver” that weekend, surely the result shows he was, but one weekend doesn’t erase a season of disappointment, nor does it negates the fact that Lando has performed better and more consistent than him for the Team… The reality is that the fact that you feel compelled to defend Daniel after almost every single weekend says it all about his performance so far in McLaren… Blaming the car, the Team, the asphalt on a race track, the temperature, the humidity on that particular race and everything else we can think of to justify his lack of performance is very telling that fanatism is trampling logic.

I don’t think McLaren fans want Daniel to fail, the Team needs him to succeed, the fans want him to succeed and he is been given every opportunity and support to make it happen… For me, I don’t care who is the better driver, as long as they both deliver and are close to each other, but been said that, is it that hard to accept that Lando might be better than him? What if he is?

Let’s hope he gets his mojo / speed back, if he does it will be great… but if he doesn’t, at some point in time decisions will have to be made since the Team needs someone that will deliver consistently and if he isn’t the driver that can do so, everyone needs to move on.

McL-H
McL-H

runningmanz wrote:
01 Jun 2022, 16:53
Slahinki wrote:
01 Jun 2022, 16:47
Hold on. If Dan wasn't there Max would have won as he wouldn't have been held up and would have streaked away in the lead. An almost 10 sec gap on lap 23:and pace in hand is fairly commanding to me. Anyway this is all beside the point. Dan was clearly the better driver in Monza it's clear from the evidence provided and he deserves full credit for that weekend. Not sure why people continue to unfairly try and take that away from him.
I agree with you 100%. There is a lot to discredit Ricciardo for, but Monza 2021 he secured that win all by himself and he definitely outperformed Lando on that weekend. Without Ricciardo, we would be having our tenth consecutive season without a win now.

Lando is doing great and definitely has the upper hand. He has been very consistent as well. A great driver we should be happy to have on our team. But he does has trouble in performing when it matters. He could have secured us 3 victories by now, but he succumbed under pressure numerous times. That’s the truth as well..

On another note. If Danni were to leave the team, do you think it would be possible to have Sainz back? When Sainz left and Ricciardo came it seemed like we got a good trade.. but the opposite became true. With Carlos now not performing that well in the Ferrari, I hope the reds drop him so we can have him back…

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
djos wrote:
Emag wrote:

But the way he dealt with Max was commanding and from a top tier driver. It's not always a comparison to Lando. Daniel took the opportunities, defending hard and did everything he had to do, no pressure and no mistakes.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
01 Jun 2022, 20:08
SmallSoldier wrote:
djos wrote:

But the way he dealt with Max was commanding and from a top tier driver. It's not always a comparison to Lando. Daniel took the opportunities, defending hard and did everything he had to do, no pressure and no mistakes.
I meant in respect to Lando, he managed that race as expected from a driver with his credentials.

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
01 Jun 2022, 20:29
mwillems wrote:
01 Jun 2022, 20:08
SmallSoldier wrote:

I meant in respect to Lando, he managed that race as expected from a driver with his credentials.
It feels as if you are as much pro Lando as you think others are pro Daniel, which is fine for both sides.
Daniel has earnt the right to be respected as a top driver given his performances over the years and it seems totally relateable that he is just struggling with the Mclaren car - I don't think he has suddenly become a bad driver. His best results were in a car with a front end nailed sucked to the ground and now he is in the opposite. Daniel was consistently better than Lando that weekend and he deserves the credit for his race because it was not handed to him. He earnt it in Qualifying and in the race.

Does he deserve a seat in Mclaren? Well he is certainly not the great hope we thought and he is definitely under par. I personally would not be upset if he was replaced but I'm not sure why you take issue with others supporting him or defending him. This year has brought him bad luck at half of the races he has been in and then there has been a few bad performances, but nowhere near as poor as last year. He is clearly improved on last year and there is a reason why Lando is now paid more than Daniel.

Over the time I have seen you consistently defend Lando even when he was struggling with the pressure 2 years back, you defended him disagreed with those saying his progress was slow and that he was fine, despite consistently crumbling under pressure, clearly looking like he was struggling in himself and not making any progress with it. SOmething he himself discussed openly after the facts. But that was just your faith back then that he would develop when others thought it was not moving quick enough in his second year with Mclaren. Now other people have faith in Daniel and you are almost berating, correcting and talking them down for the same behaviours you exhibited in the past? That's not really right is it. Let them be, he's a good guy and a good driver.

-Bandit

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Deleted… Agree to disagree :)
Last edited by SmallSoldier on 01 Jun 2022, 23:33, edited 1 time in total.

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

I think you're both able to find a point to agree here?

In a better car, Danny Ric would deliver and maybe Lando is dragging that car further up the grid with his undiminished motivation to succeed?
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

mwillems

Deleted, Smallsoldier privately agreed that Danny Ric is the best driver on the grid.

:lol:
Last edited by mwillems on 01 Jun 2022, 23:37, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

mwillems

CMSMJ1 wrote:
01 Jun 2022, 23:26
I think you're both able to find a point to agree here?

In a better car, Danny Ric would deliver and maybe Lando is dragging that car further up the grid with his undiminished motivation to succeed?
Totally yes, I'm happy to walk away from this :D

-Bandit