2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
JPower
JPower

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

runningmanz wrote:
09 Jun 2022, 04:28
JPower wrote:
09 Jun 2022, 04:23
Never mind
Good album that from Nirvana! :lol:

Seriously though I see your points,no need to get cheesed off over a difference of opinion. There is alot of water to go under the bridge yet given these new regs. The cars will definitely improve and become easier to drive imo. Hopefully that helps Dan get his mojo back and soon.
I'm not "cheesed off", just can't delete posts in this section.

Regardless, I'm trying to provide technical context for what you're trying to describe. Ricciardo's main issue is time based. In my opinion, he will have to adapt to the cars' inherent understeer before any 2022 car matches the ideal balance he's looking for.

runningmanz
runningmanz

JPower wrote:
09 Jun 2022, 04:39
runningmanz wrote:
09 Jun 2022, 04:28
JPower wrote:
09 Jun 2022, 04:23
Never mind
Good album that from Nirvana! :lol:

Seriously though I see your points,no need to get cheesed off over a difference of opinion. There is alot of water to go under the bridge yet given these new regs. The cars will definitely improve and become easier to drive imo. Hopefully that helps Dan get his mojo back and soon.
I'm not "cheesed off", just can't delete posts in this section.

Regardless, I'm trying to provide technical context for what you're trying to describe. Ricciardo's main issue is time based. In my opinion, he will have to adapt to the cars' inherent understeer before any 2022 car matches the ideal balance he's looking for.
Ok no probs, I thought you could delete them by giving a reason but haven't tried in ages.

Yeah I think they have been working hard on that but its also not as bad it seems at some tracks for him this season so far given we have seen him on Lando's pace in those first 4 races for example. I hope he can continue to adapt but also not lose the strengths that made him a great driver previously. The car does sound better balanced though so hopefully even with the understeer at times, the overall difficulties compared to last year are diminishing with the car development and extra sim work too. Just have to wait and see how things pan out.

runningmanz
runningmanz

I hope we don't get mugged on this long straight at Baku. The top end was great in the car last year even if the car was weak at alot of other slower tracks, altho I think we must have gone for higher df last year as our speed trap and finish line figures were not that great from memory.

Although more braking related would love to see some more of this too. Ah the memories, human ABS. :D

Lucky
Lucky

Lucky
Lucky

billamend
billamend

mwillems

runningmanz wrote:
09 Jun 2022, 05:34
I hope we don't get mugged on this long straight at Baku. The top end was great in the car last year even if the car was weak at alot of other slower tracks, altho I think we must have gone for higher df last year as our speed trap and finish line figures were not that great from memory.

Although more braking related would love to see some more of this too. Ah the memories, human ABS. :D

Top end is good at the back end of the straight, corner exit is more important for the rest of the straight.

it'll be interesting to compare speed through the corners and at the various points of the straights to understand how the car is behaving.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Swed3120
Swed3120

mwillems wrote:
09 Jun 2022, 13:58
runningmanz wrote:

Top end is good at the back end of the straight, corner exit is more important for the rest of the straight.

it'll be interesting to compare speed through the corners and at the various points of the straights to understand how the car is behaving.
The problem I’m currently foreseeing is if we still have less underfloor downforce than others , we’ll need to run a bigger wing for the twisty section which will hurt on the straight even More now that we don’t have the top end advantage.
I’m just hoping Dani ric can sort himself out enough to be ahead of the merc, which we should be given they’re issued on bumpy tracks.

In hindsight the McLaren car actually makes sense when you think who designed it.
We have excellent suspension and mechanical grip and a (comparatively) weaker aero package.
All makes sense considering key is a vehicle dynamics engineer and not a Aerodynamicist by training

diffuser

Swed3120 wrote:
09 Jun 2022, 14:28
mwillems wrote:
runningmanz wrote:

The problem I’m currently foreseeing is if we still have less underfloor downforce than others , we’ll need to run a bigger wing for the twisty section which will hurt on the straight even More now that we don’t have the top end advantage.
I’m just hoping Dani ric can sort himself out enough to be ahead of the merc, which we should be given they’re issued on bumpy tracks.

In hindsight the McLaren car actually makes sense when you think who designed it.
We have excellent suspension and mechanical grip and a (comparatively) weaker aero package.
All makes sense considering key is a vehicle dynamics engineer and not a Aerodynamicist by training
I don't think it works that way. James Keys is the Technical Director...He directs...The car is just 1 of a few things he oversees. I think he's involved in making decisions I doudt he designs anything.

Peter Prodromou Chief Engineer (Aerodynamics) at McLaren is in charge of aero.

mwillems

Swed3120 wrote:
09 Jun 2022, 14:28
mwillems wrote:
runningmanz wrote:

I'm not sure I can quantify our mechanical grip but that will go a very long way on this track if that is the case.
Baku is neither a high or low downforce track but something sitting in the middle, depending on your setup. What it does need is a solid rear here, supremely important in order to have a good race. Rumour has it that the Mclaren does indeed have a strong rear end and if this is the case then we may well do OK, even without that top end or with a bit more drag, at least over a single lap.

Issue is that if we hve someone in our tow and the top end isn't up to it then we could be sitting ducks.

Hopefully this newer revision of the Merc engine will help.

-Bandit

diffuser

Think you start by hoping to get into Q3. There is a chance that someone in the Midfield can take out one of the Mercs. There is even a small chance we can swallow both of them up. Doudt we can take out any of the Ferraris or RBR unless they screw up. The Midfield changes so much from race to race, it very entertaining.

runningmanz
runningmanz

mwillems wrote:
runningmanz wrote:

Yeah most important to have good grip for the slower corners as thats where you lose most of the time, but the car seems better balanced this year overall than previously, will be interesting to see the differences compared to last year. Hopefully we can avoid a mugging though along the main straight. Love the Baku track so looking forward to it.

runningmanz
runningmanz

Good update interview from Dan about his week after Monaco and sim work etc this week before Baku. Seems pretty chirpy and also fired up to prove the doubters wrong.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/vide ... 92538.html

mwillems

runningmanz wrote:
10 Jun 2022, 02:37
mwillems wrote:
runningmanz wrote:

Yeah most important to have good grip for the slower corners as thats where you lose most of the time, but the car seems better balanced this year overall than previously, will be interesting to see the differences compared to last year. Hopefully we can avoid a mugging though along the main straight. Love the Baku track so looking forward to it.
Slower corners do lose a lot of time if you are not good in them, but being slow through corners and slow onto a long straight is a killer because you will lose time for most of that straight too. If you have good top end you can get a little back, but the importance of your exit from the corner cannot be overstated, especially on a track like this.

-Bandit

djos

Damon Hill has an interesting theory on why Daniel is struggling with Mclaren cars.

https://apple.news/ATmbV0O4YQvmpTA_pG9LfXA
"In downforce we trust"