2022 Oracle | Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Re: 2022 Oracle | Red Bull Racing F1 Team

napoleon1981 wrote:
02 Jun 2022, 18:27
I don't think it was clear to redbull what the better strategy was at the time they brought Checo in. I think they wanted to disrupt Ferrari and give them something to think about. Ferrari responded poorly and it all fell Checos way. Two strategies were developping initially, going to inters, or driving a bit longer and making the jump straight to slicks. The inters strategy turned out to be a bit better, but likely not by much, espescially if you waited too long.

I don't agree with Jos here.
Yeah, going for inters first was the riskier move at that point in the race. From a team perspective it was logical to let driver 2 try the riskier move and for the driver 1 to focus on his WDC contender, LeClerc.

Jos was just being captain Hindsight I guess.

Wouter

Behind the Charge | This is us, Sergio Perez wins the Monaco Grand Prix

There is no place like Monaco. After three years, it was back to it's most glorious best as the @Red Bull Energy Station came back to the Monaco harbour and Sergio Perez claimed his first Monaco Grand Prix victory.
The Power of Dreams!

Cassius
Cassius

NL_Fer wrote:
02 Jun 2022, 18:37
ringo wrote:
02 Jun 2022, 03:04
what did jos say?

He would have preferred that they put Max on the inters early instead of Perez, because it was the wining strategy and he is biassed as a father.
If RB would have put Max on inters first, Ferrari would have covered with Leclerc immediately, and we would have a different outcome, likely Lec being ahead of Max at the end of the race. Fact Perez was triggering the pit stops brought doubt to Ferrari whether to cover Perez or focus on main WDC contender Max.

I don't agree with Jos here. This was the best outcome for both RB and Max and was only going to happen by giving Perez inters first.

Edax
Edax

NL_Fer wrote:
02 Jun 2022, 18:41
napoleon1981 wrote:
I don't think it was clear to redbull what the better strategy was at the time they brought Checo in. I think they wanted to disrupt Ferrari and give them something to think about. Ferrari responded poorly and it all fell Checos way. Two strategies were developping initially, going to inters, or driving a bit longer and making the jump straight to slicks. The inters strategy turned out to be a bit better, but likely not by much, espescially if you waited too long.

Yeah, going for inters first was the riskier move at that point in the race. From a team perspective it was logical to let driver 2 try the riskier move and for the driver 1 to focus on his WDC contender, LeClerc.

I think it is also in Jos nature. Back in his days he was known for making bold tire choices. If he was in the car he would be screaming for inters. And truth be said both Verstappens can make the difference on drying tracks and slippery tires.

But I think he forgets that a different choice would also invoke a different reaction from Ferrari. I think part of the strategic mess at Ferrari was caused by the indecision on whether to cover PER or VES and the result was they did neither effectively.

Putting VES on inters likely would have resulted in an easier choice and a different outcome. Overall I think having PER in form is a benefit, since RB can now play these strategy games. And in the end both drivers benefitted.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Wouter

Spoutnik wrote:
06 Jun 2022, 11:54
In German the interview from the beginning about the RB drivers.

Last edited by Wouter on 06 Jun 2022, 14:33, edited 1 time in total.
The Power of Dreams!

chrisc90

If checo is delivering the goods throughout his contract, I can’t see RB swapping out drivers. You don’t change your winning ways that get you into good spots in the constructors and drivers titles.

etusch

I think Gasly should concentrate on developing himself. He was not performing that good with the redbull when he was there at redbull. Say redbull is also not that good at that times. Now rules changed and a driver who we can call rookie is not bad compared to him. So he is not that good with new cars. If he were better than past year with new car we could expect he could be better with redbull too. But his current form shows that he would been bad this year too if he were at redbull.

Wouter

How is Perez doing this weekend? 🤔

The Power of Dreams!

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

Let's leave the wife out of it for the Team thread - thanks
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Edax wrote:
06 Jun 2022, 11:49
NL_Fer wrote:
02 Jun 2022, 18:41
napoleon1981 wrote:

I think it is also in Jos nature. Back in his days he was known for making bold tire choices. If he was in the car he would be screaming for inters. And truth be said both Verstappens can make the difference on drying tracks and slippery tires.

But I think he forgets that a different choice would also invoke a different reaction from Ferrari. I think part of the strategic mess at Ferrari was caused by the indecision on whether to cover PER or VES and the result was they did neither effectively.

Putting VES on inters likely would have resulted in an easier choice and a different outcome. Overall I think having PER in form is a benefit, since RB can now play these strategy games. And in the end both drivers benefitted.
Yeah they showed a roundup of the 1996 Monaco GP on tv, before the race. And there was Jos on slicks, while the rest started on rain tires. He ended 1st corner in the wall.

I remember questioning his decision, because the rest ran on rain tires for 10-15 at least, before it was dry enough for slicks.

ringo

I think the points do not say much about Gasly.
His pace in Monaco and his overtakes were good.
He is still a very good driver. Tsunoda is still error prone and has not been impressive.

I would not downplay Gasly to justify why redbull are not considering him.
They just dont like him and his chemistry with the team, so he will forever be in torro Roso unless Max retires unexpectedly.

Checo is driving well and will get better as he gets familiar with the car. Max is always going to be the quciker qualifier and short stint driver. But i feel Checo will be challenging Max soon if the team allows the strategy to be fair across both drivers. Checo's approach works well despite him not having the raw pace of Max.
For Sure!!

Zynerji

I think Vettel, Hamilton, Alonso and possibly Ricciardo are gone for 2024.

Gasley will have options. (Alpine with 2 French drivers? 🤔)

organic

I think Alpine are more likely to retain the duo of Piastri and Ocon long term if they can. Alonso to stay at Alpine next year with Piastri earning experience in Williams, then assess options at end of 2023. Gasly therefore maybe can't rely on Alpine. Without Piastri in the picture (and if Gasly/Ocon didn't despise each other) then maybe the 2 french driver lineup would be more likely. McLaren ditching ricciardo seems like his best option if Alpine prefer Piastri over him imo

I don't know who would have the yellow tbar at Mercedes if Lewis retires. Gasly has a shot there but seems wholly unlikely. But this discussion is hardly about red bull

ME4ME

Will be interesting to see how Perez performs this weekend, and if he bins it.
Many sudden-winners have gone off or into the wall the very next weekend after their win. Hype getting into their head. Perez is experienced though, so lets see.

Personally I think the hype around him will deflate pretty quickly over the coming weeks. He has found form in the "22 car, but I don't buy into it that he suddenly is a challenge for Verstappen. Some laughable comments by Herbert and Hill this week.