2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Emag
Emag

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

f1rules wrote:
11 Jun 2022, 23:13
11+12 is pretty far from being ok, what is it, that now we need accept this mediocre crap, why cant we expect more from this team, im really in doubt if Key is the key
You can choose to not accept it if you want, but it isn't going to change anything. This is what we got this year.
And Key is just one guy. If you think one guy makes the whole team you are mistaken. None of the top teams are where they are because a single individual.

James Allison was praised as one of the best engineers in the grid due to the utter dominance Mercedes had in the previous era. What happened to him now? Did he lose his edge?

No, he did not. It's just that his impact on the final result is severely overestimated by everyone. His contribution to the lack of pace Mercedes has now, is pretty much the same as his contribution he had on Mercedes' advantage previously.

It's just that as a team, Mercedes got it wrong this year, just like McLaren.

But the difference McLaren has to Mercedes is that their lack of (relative) pace to the front is somewhat justified by their inherent infrastructure deficiencies. And honestly, it's not even that big of a deal as people are making it out to be, that's why I say relative lack of pace. Because McLaren is still 4th, just like they were last year, just a little bit further behind in terms of gap to the top car. And if you expected them to suddenly fight for championships because of a rule change, while being at a significant resource and infrastructure disadvantage, then your disappointment is caused by your misplaced optimism for this season.

I myself was disappointed after Bahrain, because I thought they had gone back to being backmarkers, but as the season progressed, I honestly don't see this season as being that bad for McLaren. I expected them to be 4th again this year, although I admit, I hoped for them to be closer to the front.

Nevertheless, there are positives to take because it seems like they have finally broken the old performance barrier. The car is no longer bogging down on slow speed sections. It's annoying that the car is draggy as f*ck at the moment, and that they are lacking peak downforce compared to the top teams. But these two things have usually been the easier things to strengthen in your car. The difference was almost always made in the very technical slow speed corners, and they have actually improved massively in that area (comparatively with previous years).

With the investments and the budget cap slowly kicking in, I can see positive things for McLaren in 1 or 2 years.

So long story short, if you keep your expectations at a realistic level, you will enjoy the season more. I understand that with the long wait we have had, patience is running low at the moment. But right now, more than in quite a while (well perhaps with the exception of last year), there are positive signs pointing towards the return of a competitive McLaren in the nearby future.

Balalu
Balalu

Emag wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 00:14
f1rules wrote:
11+12 is pretty far from being ok, what is it, that now we need accept this mediocre crap, why cant we expect more from this team, im really in doubt if Key is the key
You can choose to not accept it if you want, but it isn't going to change anything. This is what we got this year.
And Key is just one guy. If you think one guy makes the whole team you are mistaken. None of the top teams are where they are because a single individual.

James Allison was praised as one of the best engineers in the grid due to the utter dominance Mercedes had in the previous era. What happened to him now? Did he lose his edge?

No, he did not. It's just that his impact on the final result is severely overestimated by everyone. His contribution to the lack of pace Mercedes has now, is pretty much the same as his contribution he had on Mercedes' advantage previously.

But the difference McLaren has to Mercedes is that their lack of (relative) pace to the front is somewhat justified by their inherent infrastructure deficiencies. And honestly, it's not even that big of a deal as people are making it out to be, that's why I say relative lack of pace. Because McLaren is still 4th, just like they were last year, just a little bit further behind in terms of gap to the top car. And if you expected them to suddenly fight for championships because of a rule change, while being at a significant resource and infrastructure disadvantage, then your disappointment is caused by your misplaced optimism for this season.

I myself was disappointed after Bahrain, because I thought they had gone back to being backmarkers, but as the season progressed, I honestly don't see this season as being that bad for McLaren. I expected them to be 4th again this year, although I admit, I hoped for them to be closer to the front.

Nevertheless, there are positives to take because it seems like they have finally broken the old performance barrier. The car is no longer bogging down on slow speed sections. It's annoying that the car is draggy as f*ck at the moment, and that they are lacking peak downforce compared to the top teams. But these two things have usually been the easier things to strengthen in your car. The difference was almost always made in the very technical slow speed corners, and they have actually improved massively in that area (comparatively with previous years).

With the investments and the budget cap slowly kicking in, I can see positive things for McLaren in 1 or 2 years.

So long story short, if you keep your expectations at a realistic level, you will enjoy the season more. I understand that with the long wait we have had, patience is running low at the moment. But right now, more than in quite a while (well perhaps with the exception of last year), there are positive signs pointing towards the return of a competitive McLaren in the nearby future.
Absolutely well said. Nothing more to add.
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen

f1rules
f1rules

Offcourse i didnt expect them to win! But i did expect them to continue the positive trajectory and get closer, that didnt happen at all, on the contrary, but great response and i agree with most your points, except im not convinced about key, i know he is one person and everything is handled in teams, nowadays but still

Emag wrote:
f1rules wrote:

CjC
CjC

Don’t forget all of the teams in front of Mclaren started developing the 2022 car before Mclaren did so they are just slightly behind in the development curve. Apart from Red Bull who are just a fantastic engineering company as painful as that is to say.
Just a fan's point of view

mclaren111

Emag wrote:
f1rules wrote:

They are leaning a hell of a lot this year which will help for next year... Just like 2020 to 2021 car...

Darth-Piekus

I'm not someone to judge but can Alonso weave like that to block Norris passing?

I would say let Daniel pass. He is faster.

runningmanz
runningmanz

Dan all over Lando and McLaren told him to back off? Why, he said he has more pace.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Why are we not letting Ricc go forward on those harder tyres and go long for race position?

Ridiculous strategy call.

Darth-Piekus

What kind of call what that? Danny Ric is faster. Let him swap places. He can get Alonso.

runningmanz
runningmanz

Yeah looks like he has backed right off now. Can't understand that they could have swapped places easily when he was within DRS of Lando. Ocon was almost 3 secs back from Lando.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

According to TeamStream, Lando is managing his tyres
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Darth-Piekus

Lando seems to have upped his pace now. Are they both going for one less pit stop? Is it a good idea?

mwillems

Maybe they think it is more important to preserve tyres and pass him via tyre management. He doesn't want to kill his tyres behind alonso.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

I am wondering about something. How come Mclaren hasn't tried to get as little aerodynamics as possible and go full max speed set up as it seems those two huge straights are giving most of the time over a lap.

mwillems

Can't do that here, you need downforce or you'll be slow.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit