2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
MrGapes

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

I wish more teams let their drivers fight...but today I reckon as much as im a lando lover, Daniel did his best for Lando strategy at the start so deserves the extra points so good race from Daniel....... watching both drivers onboards today, I felt almost as frustrated as the drivers, gaining so much in sector 1 sector 2, and then losing it all despite having drs, it's most likely a fundamental flaw of the car, last year the car was oppositely very aero efficient, so this isn't a preexisting problem with the car... I think we should be happy with double points, Im confident the team will get on top of this problem.

MrGapes

Xero wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 15:02
Race panned out as expected in all fairness. The team calls were the right ones, despite fanbase division trying to make controversies out of nothing. The weekend confirms what we all expected regarding drag issues. In the search for a more balanced car there was bound to be drawbacks. The positive note is it's easier to reduce drag than it is to find balanced downforce, so a backwards step in one area for the greater good long term is acceptable. Should fare better in Canada, with more reliance on medium levels of downforce.
I'd stayed away from social media :D I already know what the narratives that are being written

Seerix
Seerix

Team orders in the beginning were a bit strange, I have no idea why not let RIC past Lando. It probably would not change much though.
Strategy seemed strange, they were trying to overcut ALO, but came back several positions behind. NOR pit was shown on TV and it took 3.6s so not disasterous.. Perhaps they were to optimistic.
There was hope for RIC to catch couple of guys on new mediums, but him, same as Ocon surprisingly struggled on new mediums.
All in all probably where we belonged and should be grateful for retirements ahead.
Positive seeing RIC doing better.

Xero

MrGapes wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 15:04
Xero wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 15:02
Race panned out as expected in all fairness. The team calls were the right ones, despite fanbase division trying to make controversies out of nothing. The weekend confirms what we all expected regarding drag issues. In the search for a more balanced car there was bound to be drawbacks. The positive note is it's easier to reduce drag than it is to find balanced downforce, so a backwards step in one area for the greater good long term is acceptable. Should fare better in Canada, with more reliance on medium levels of downforce.
I'd stayed away from social media :D I already know what the narratives that are being written
:lol:

Mansell89
Mansell89

You have to remember Lando cost Dan best part of 5-10 seconds I reckon on stint 1, and he followed the order so it was right to hold station at the end.

More pressing concerns for us are with the car- the lack of straight line speed is astonishing given our strength in this area for the past 3 seasons.

Just how tricky is it for teams to trim the drag without compromising their other strengths? Doesn’t sound an easy task.

A.J.O
A.J.O

Early in stint 1 the hard tire hand the pace advantage. I don't understand why the strategists didn't use it to put pressure on the Alpine. Could've cooked ALO tires and saved Lando's
lost the opportunity to get both cars past the Alpine

Xero

It's easy to reflect on it in hindsight, but at the time it was the sensible call. Can understand frustrations and looking for things to vent on though.

A.J.O
A.J.O

Xero wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 15:35
It's easy to reflect on it in hindsight, but at the time it was the sensible call. Can understand frustrations and looking for things to vent on though.
That's the thing though, It was apparent at the time. Practice long runs showed that Alpine had the pace advantage.
As soon as the opportunity presented it's self, they should have been ready to pounce.

The way the race unfolded seems to point to the team having a set strategy and not being nimble enough to change on the fly.

A.J.O
A.J.O

Look how much pace they wasted holding the hard runner behind the Medium runner.

Macklaren
Macklaren

I think this result was fine. Very hard to tell how much deg the early hard switchers were going to have. RIC's missing pace on Meds hurt the most but Perez had the same thing (even Lando in the first stint). This was a freak result - I don't think VET or TSU have genuine top 10 pace on the average track. Good to see Dan in the mix though, reliability remains strong. On to Canada (which has not been a great track for us in recent years either but should be better than here)

mwillems

Duplicate
Last edited by mwillems on 12 Jun 2022, 21:44, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

It wasn't a bad result at all. I'm happy that the car is good in the corners, it'll serve us well over the season.

Car is draggy but this is more likely to do with the floors outwash needing to be refined.

I wish they'd have let DR go but you can't argue the toss. We might have got one place more but it would have been good for confidence and he deserved it.

Usual nonsense comments from fans in the run up to Qualifying and the race decrying the performance and the team before we've even got into the competitive end of the weekend. Its the fourth best car and it will make some good ground up yet.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

Dont like quoting headlines but this is appropriate as I see Brown's managerial MO as a liability.

"Seidl slams Brown for Ricciardo criticism as they confirm contract situation"

"...Seidl explained how in all his years of working in Formula 1, he’s never seen a driver “become faster” following public criticism. "

bauc

Overall not a bad weekend however the amount of speed we loose on the straight is staggering, we need to address this issue ASAP
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

A.J.O
A.J.O

johnny comelately wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 23:31
Dont like quoting headlines but this is appropriate as I see Brown's managerial MO as a liability.

"Seidl slams Brown for Ricciardo criticism as they confirm contract situation"

"...Seidl explained how in all his years of working in Formula 1, he’s never seen a driver “become faster” following public criticism. "
I'm a huge fan of both Brown and Seidl. Seidl is the reason I jumped on the McLaren bandwagon.
Having said that, some times the donkey needs a carrot and sometimes the whip needs to come out.
Brown is a typical American snake oil sales man ( I say that with love). He knew exactly what he was doing when he gave that interview. He pointed out that Lando is currently beating a known entity, raising his stock. Put the team leader square behind his underperforming driver and lite a fire in RIC's heart.