2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Slahinki
Slahinki

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

1m0bius1 wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 08:29
Baku, Makes you question if they really even attempted to alter the car to suit Ric. What an absolute joke.
They aren’t ever going to try to alter the car to “suit” Daniel, or anyone else for that matter. They are going to try to make it faster, if one of the drivers isn’t able to extract that performance you have to start thinking about getting someone else in the car.

Thankfully Daniel was closer to Lando in Baku, though it seems to have come at a cost of more severe porpoising.

djos

Slahinki wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 12:11

They aren’t ever going to try to alter the car to “suit” Daniel, or anyone else for that matter. They are going to try to make it faster, if one of the drivers isn’t able to extract that performance you have to start thinking about getting someone else in the car.
That’s incorrect, in the post race interviews iirc Seidl himself said that Daniel has been adjusting his style to the car, and now Mclaren are making changes to the car to suit Daniel.
"In downforce we trust"

Slahinki
Slahinki

djos wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 12:23

That’s incorrect, in the post race interviews iirc Seidl himself said that Daniel has been adjusting his style to the car, and now Mclaren are making changes to the car to suit Daniel.
Well if he said that, it goes against what pretty much every technical director has said since Grand Prix racing became a thing. And I can't really say I've seen Key say anything to support such a statement by Seidl. That said, if that is correct then good for Daniel. I hope it makes the car faster overall.

djos

I went back and found the footage, it was actually Daniel talking to F1TV.

Go to 24:55 where he says (paraphrased) “with the full support of the engineers he’s worked to adapt to the the car, now they are working to bring the car more towards him”.

"In downforce we trust"

Slahinki
Slahinki

Yeah, I dunno. Sounds like setup talk to me, not about altering the car. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

djos

Slahinki wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 14:29
Yeah, I dunno. Sounds like setup talk to me, not about altering the car. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
You could be right. However, F1 cars are in a constant state of development, so it could well mean that Mclaren wanted to understand the car handling before going down different development directions.
"In downforce we trust"

Big Tea

djos wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 14:06
I went back and found the footage, it was actually Daniel talking to F1TV.

Go to 24:55 where he says (paraphrased) “with the full support of the engineers he’s worked to adapt to the the car, now they are working to bring the car more towards him”.

If he thinks it is going to help, it probably will. Even if they do nothing.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

djos

Doing nothing Is not going to fool a top F1 driver.

Considering Daniel had Poposing in Baku and Lando didn’t, it seems clear that Daniel was running a different car setup.
"In downforce we trust"

organic

djos wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 15:03

Considering Daniel had Poposing in Baku and Lando didn’t, it seems clear that Daniel was running a different car setup.
Indeed. Reckon that Daniel's side ran his car lower to gain back performance. Good time to put in a good performance when the media narrative is considered

mwillems

Anything that Daniel wants is likely to improve the car, he'll not be asking for less grip anywhere that is for sure :D

I'd imagine they will look at the suggestions from Lando, Daniel and the engineers and look to develop areas that offer the most advantage, including where development suggestions are common between drivers or where the team think the low hanging fruit is.

The team are likely to have several streams happening. Those to work on immediate issues that can be overcome quickly and then streams working on other more "involved" aspects of the car that need more consideration, time and testing to come up with a solution. All of this is then spun 360 by the cost and resource cap and the need to find ways to overlap development and reduce costs - perhaps they need to essentially now only build upgrades in packages so that they can reduce CFD and Tunnel time It's got to be one of the hardest times for the top teams to develop their cars.

I'd imagine there are also things in this formula that they won't be able to bring to Daniel because the formula might restrict certain characteristics and he'll have to continue to make some adjustments.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

Is there any news on the next raft of updates for the car? Are we to see another package upgrade by Hungary do we think? Or will it now be piecemeal as and when upgrades come?
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Big Tea

djos wrote:

Who asked for it though? was it Dans' choice?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Big Tea wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 19:13
djos wrote:

Does it matter? It shows that Mclaren are able to run with limited porpoising when the car is setup in a particular way.
A lion must kill its prey.

Big Tea

AR3-GP wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 20:31
Big Tea wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 19:13
djos wrote:

Does it matter? It shows that Mclaren are able to run with limited porpoising when the car is setup in a particular way.
I was concerned with what they said about 'altering' the setup to his requirements. If what he wants is giving that result it is not going to work.

McG

What a --- show. Would rather have seen Lando and Daniel race than scrounge for peanuts. McLaren are most likely going to finish 4th in the championship anyway so why not just let them race. Or do they really think 4th is under threat 😐
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.