2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
the EDGE
the EDGE

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Lucky wrote:
16 Jun 2022, 17:58
As for Norris, that huge driver he now has in his hands: “Lando in qualifying brings out the best in the car and is a sponge, he has an enormous talent for learning new techniques, altering the car's reactions or adapting to limitations. That seems exceptional to me, aside from his sheer speed.”
https://as.com/motor/formula_1/el-ingen ... -norris-n/
Ah… he’s not telling us nothing we don’t already know :lol:

Swed3120
Swed3120

News from the FIA on bouncing

https://the-race.com/formula-1/fia-inte ... y-reasons/

In short, they’re going to check Skidplates and floor more and introduce a limit on vertical G loads.

Any ideas on how this will affect us?

I haven’t seen our car be effected by bouncing to much and it’s doesn’t seem to have very high vertical G, so maybe not to much of an affect, merc on the other hand could by quite hurt by this and may bring them into our reaches.
I fear as for the title fight, RB just got given a non-stop ticket to the WCC&WDC

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

Swed3120 wrote:
16 Jun 2022, 20:03
News from the FIA on bouncing

https://the-race.com/formula-1/fia-inte ... y-reasons/

In short, they’re going to check Skidplates and floor more and introduce a limit on vertical G loads.

Any ideas on how this will affect us?

I haven’t seen our car be effected by bouncing to much and it’s doesn’t seem to have very high vertical G, so maybe not to much of an affect, merc on the other hand could by quite hurt by this and may bring them into our reaches.
I fear as for the title fight, RB just got given a non-stop ticket to the WCC&WDC
Probably won't affect the McLaren too much, but will impact on the Ferrari, Mercedes, and Alpha Tauri (I missed the bouncing on that, but apparently at some tracks it has been bad for them), so might make McLaren more competitive in the midfield. As things stand, it will make the RB untouchable at the front, however I reckon Ferrari and Mercedes have been using the time to come up with something better; we'll know within a couple of races I'd say. What about Aston Martin and Alpine though?

FIA document here: https://www.fia.com/news/fia-takes-step ... sts-safety

runningmanz
runningmanz

diffuser wrote:
16 Jun 2022, 13:32
runningmanz wrote:
10 Jun 2022, 02:37
mwillems wrote:
09 Jun 2022, 13:58

Top end is good at the back end of the straight, corner exit is more important for the rest of the straight.

it'll be interesting to compare speed through the corners and at the various points of the straights to understand how the car is behaving.
Yeah most important to have good grip for the slower corners as thats where you lose most of the time, but the car seems better balanced this year overall than previously, will be interesting to see the differences compared to last year. Hopefully we can avoid a mugging though along the main straight. Love the Baku track so looking forward to it.
Which is more important really depends on the track and the severity of the strength or weakness. At each track you're always making choices and trade offs. If McLaren's grip was a little better, it would have allowed them to use less rear wing, resulting in them being faster on the straight. The opposite is also true.
Yeah true but in general the biggest time loss to be made up is in slow corners which there is quite a few at various tracks which is why I guess its one of the main issues the team focused on trying to solve this season first. Yeah obviously the key is sorting as many deficiencies as possible making a really good all-rounder that responds well to changes that need to be made for each track, like RBR seem to to have done this year. Canada should be better though for us hopefully with medium downforce levels required.

diffuser

runningmanz wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 04:40
diffuser wrote:
runningmanz wrote:
10 Jun 2022, 02:37

Yeah most important to have good grip for the slower corners as thats where you lose most of the time, but the car seems better balanced this year overall than previously, will be interesting to see the differences compared to last year. Hopefully we can avoid a mugging though along the main straight. Love the Baku track so looking forward to it.
Which is more important really depends on the track and the severity of the strength or weakness. At each track you're always making choices and trade offs. If McLaren's grip was a little better, it would have allowed them to use less rear wing, resulting in them being faster on the straight. The opposite is also true.
Yeah true but in general the biggest time loss to be made up is in slow corners which there is quite a few at various tracks which is why I guess its one of the main issues the team focused on trying to solve this season first. Yeah obviously the key is sorting as many deficiencies as possible making a really good all-rounder that responds well to changes that need to be made for each track, like RBR seem to to have done this year. Canada should be better though for us hopefully with medium downforce levels required.
It will be a real test for the brakes.

runningmanz
runningmanz

diffuser wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 08:59
runningmanz wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 04:40
diffuser wrote:

It will be a real test for the brakes.
Yep but at least not in hot weather though! :)

CjC
CjC

Ah it’s darn tight this midfield
Just a fan's point of view

Seerix
Seerix

Looks like some problem for Lando? He was out of car towards the end and also has least laps completed. Or maybe just setup changes, no idea.

A.J.O
A.J.O

Seerix wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 21:05
Looks like some problem for Lando? He was out of car towards the end and also has least laps completed. Or maybe just setup changes, no idea.
Clutch issue.
RIC has taken a few new PU elements as well

03 McLaren Mercedes Daniel Ricciardo ICE #2 TC#2 MGU-H# 2 MGU-K# 2 ES# 1 CE# 1 EX#2

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Think we are seriously going to struggle this weekend. Quali pace might be okay but race pace with the drag we’ve got might provide a seriously challenging proposition. The midfield has really tightened up and some teams have leapt forward. We need some big-ish updates

CjC
CjC

I think Aston Martin have confirmed that the Red Bull side pod philosophy is a route every team team needs to now explore. Whether we see it on the Mclaren will be another matter

Swed3120
Swed3120

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 21:58
Think we are seriously going to struggle this weekend. Quali pace might be okay but race pace with the drag we’ve got might provide a seriously challenging proposition. The midfield has really tightened up and some teams have leapt forward. We need some big-ish updates
We always knew that baku & Montreal where going to be major issues for our car concept, didn’t hear anybody shouting for updates when we where clearly 3rd fastest in imola and Monaco.
Just like always some tracks suit our car and some don’t, and it’s that way for every car in the midfield, the gap to the top comes in being able to be best even if the track doesn’t suit your car, and that is where everybody from (and including) Mercedes down is currently.

Do we need updates to reduce drag? YES , yes very much do, is there any point in bringing them right now?, no, the next few tracks are more towards what our car likes and it would be foolish to focus on that now.

I do feel a major revision of our sidepod concept in in order though, however that most likely to come with the MCL37 rather than any mid-season Canadian Oligarch influenced Green Bull shananigans

Emag
Emag

I mean, only FP1 has passed. Let's wait a bit before coming to conclusions.

Swed3120
Swed3120

Emag wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 22:21
And also as always MCL run pretty concervative on fridays, I must say though that alpine is a conundrum , Alonso 3 tenths of the top on a harder tyre and icon a couple of positions back from us, hey any inconsistency for them is always a benefit for us

CjC
CjC

Swed3120 wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 22:23
Emag wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 22:21
And also as always MCL run pretty concervative on fridays, I must say though that alpine is a conundrum , Alonso 3 tenths of the top on a harder tyre and icon a couple of positions back from us, hey any inconsistency for them is always a benefit for us
Think Fernando just proved to the grid how good the medium is.
He set his medium time on his second run when everyone else did their soft runs