2022 Oracle | Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
langedweil

Re: 2022 Oracle | Red Bull Racing F1 Team

organic wrote:
18 Jun 2022, 02:22
First FP in a while where Verstappen has been setting times alight repeatedly, and the first time in a while Perez has looked like he's fighting the car a lot. Coincidence, or the car finding a pointier setup window that brings things more towards Max's preferences (and away from Checo's)?
Checo's side apparently had a setup issue, whatever that means.
I do not subscribe to the whole idea of Checo suddenly being at the same level as Max and Charles. Those guys are truly in a different league!
Checo and Sai are way behind them and only ahead of Nor/Ric/Ham/Rus/Alo/Vet/Gas because their cars are performing excellent.
HuggaWugga !

Ryar

organic wrote:
18 Jun 2022, 02:22
First FP in a while where Verstappen has been setting times alight repeatedly, and the first time in a while Perez has looked like he's fighting the car a lot. Coincidence, or the car finding a pointier setup window that brings things more towards Max's preferences (and away from Checo's)?
Maybe lessons learnt from Baku for Checo, that he cannot run a race with quali biased setup.
Hakuna Matata!

hkbruin
hkbruin

I just posted in the Merc team thread that they aren’t in the enviable position of having a genius designer in Adrian Newey who was around in the early 80’s to have exposure to ground effects-based cars. It reminds me of Wazari’s example of the Honda skunkworks engineers developing the alternate PU, with their decades-long experience in building engines, applying knowledge and wisdom that the younger crop of engineers would know nothing about. I suppose it rings true that sometimes it’s cool to be old-school 😎

Edax
Edax

hkbruin wrote:
18 Jun 2022, 12:44
I just posted in the Merc team thread that they aren’t in the enviable position of having a genius designer in Adrian Newey who was around in the early 80’s to have exposure to ground effects-based cars. It reminds me of Wazari’s example of the Honda skunkworks engineers developing the alternate PU, with their decades-long experience in building engines, applying knowledge and wisdom that the younger crop of engineers would know nothing about. I suppose it rings true that sometimes it’s cool to be old-school 😎
I think in the case of RB a couple of things have come together. One is indeed the past experience of Newey. But also the fact that they just have done the Valkyrie, which is a ground effect car.

But I think the most important factor is their high rake concepts of previous years. Getting the floor edge sealed with high rake means that they have good correlation with the underbody models and the windtunnel with rolling floor. That may be the problem with Merc, the floor was never that important in their previous cars, with could IMO explain why these correlation issues are popping up now.

Wouter

Jun 18 2022 Can Formula 1 drivers race with the slowest vehicle in the world: an ice hockey Zamboni?
We pit Sergio Perez and Yuki Tsunoda against Olympic gold medalist and ski legend Seb Toots and Hockey Superstar PK Subban in the world's slowest time trial challenge.
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

This is coming from Franco Nugnes, so maybe take it with a grain of salt. :wink: Co-autore: Giorgio Piola

F1 | Red Bull: new anti-overheating brake calipers.
The Milton Keynes team is working hard to ensure reliability in the wheel corner where it has experienced overheating. After switching to composite wheel covers (which are lighter than metal ones), Newey's engineers have developed new calipers with Brembo that have undergone an antiheat treatment. The world champion team continues relentless development of the RB18, investing in brakes for a demanding track like Montreal.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-re ... /10324261/

Old

New
The Power of Dreams!

organic

Well done Max. Class of the field today

Sieper

Yes, just very, very impressive. Lap after lap after lap. He makes it look easy while checo showed just how easy it is to get it wrong under these circumstances.

chrisc90

Max is just a epic driver. Probably the best on the grid in all fairness. And theres a lot more years ahead for him.

hkbruin
hkbruin

What’s the status of Checo’s car? Looks like it’s just the front wing that took damage. Do they have a spare with the same spec, or does he revert to a previous wing? What if it was the newer spec wing that changed the balance of the car that he doesn’t like, and the older spec wing returns the car balance back to the rear?

ringo

Max is going to walk this championship. The car is working well and he is taking it easy. As this stage his competition are having reliability issues and the RB18 is in a really good zone.
For Sure!!

Curbstone
Curbstone

Remarkable performance. Since it was suggested Max wasn't really comfortable in the RB18 and Perez was, I'd expect this to be exagerated in the wet, but he just overclassed Perez, and a lot of others.

Aesop
Aesop

I didn't see this coming after FP3. Max was all over the place.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Edax wrote:
18 Jun 2022, 14:04
hkbruin wrote:
18 Jun 2022, 12:44
I think in the case of RB a couple of things have come together. One is indeed the past experience of Newey. But also the fact that they just have done the Valkyrie, which is a ground effect car.

But I think the most important factor is their high rake concepts of previous years. Getting the floor edge sealed with high rake means that they have good correlation with the underbody models and the windtunnel with rolling floor. That may be the problem with Merc, the floor was never that important in their previous cars, with could IMO explain why these correlation issues are popping up now.
Yeah i also have the suspicion that the airflow sealing the floor is very influential in the new floor’s dynamic behavior in sealing/stalling it.

Ryar

chrisc90 wrote:
19 Jun 2022, 00:00
Max is just a epic driver. Probably the best on the grid in all fairness. And theres a lot more years ahead for him.
I think Charles would have taken pole here as he has been doing it, if not for his penalty. Over one lap, Charles and SF75 are a better combination. RB18 isn't yet a premier single lap car, which means Max has to focus on race setup while SF75 has relative tyre life issues. For the remainder of the season I am guessing both sides would make progress on their weaknesses. Over the course of the season so far, Charles has made a few mistakes and Max has kept it clean. I would have loved to see Charles and Max go at it with full intensity in those conditions. The ultimate lap time would could have been faster than what we saw. I hope the fascinating battle between the two of them would continue.
Hakuna Matata!