2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
hudnut
hudnut

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

I'm just looking at the Q2 replay on Kayo now.

At 10:06 to go in Q2, after NOR and RIC post their first times in reasonable wet conditions on inters:
RIC - 1:46.393
NOR - 1:47.157

RIC is about 0.75s faster.

However, he s behind NOR on track (NOR posted his time first).

Rain started getting heavy after NOR completes his second sector on his next lap (setting the fastest second sector). At this stage RIC is starting the second sector.
NOR's first lap time is dropped all the way to last for about 1-2 sec (due to all the people in front of him on his second lap having better conditions with the water being cleared off the track).
Then he posts his time with 08:50 to go in Q2
NOR - 1:41.821

RIC's first lap time is now last, and he is trying to post his second lap, having had 17s more of heavy rain than NOR experienced.
RIC posts second lap at 08:33 left in Q2 (17 sec of track position behind NOR)
RIC - 1:44.355

NOR doesn't attempt another fast lap, so we don't know what a subsequent time from NOR would be in worse conditions.

So it looks to me like RIC got the worst of the conditions in the second timed lap attempt. He was faster in the first attempt, but that may have been a "sighter" lap for both cars also, so maybe not representative either.

I don't think an "apples to apples" lap comparison can be done between them in this Q2 session.

djos

hudnut wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 11:15

At 10:06 to go in Q2, after NOR and RIC post their first times in reasonable wet conditions on inters:

Rain started getting heavy after NOR completes his second sector on his next lap (setting the fastest second sector). At this stage RIC is starting the second sector.
NOR's first lap time is dropped all the way to last for about 1-2 sec (due to all the people in front of him on his second lap having better conditions with the water being cleared off the track).

RIC's first lap time is now last, and he is trying to post his second lap, having had 17s more of heavy rain than NOR experienced.

NOR doesn't attempt another fast lap, so we don't know what a subsequent time from NOR would be in worse conditions.

So it looks to me like RIC got the worst of the conditions in the second timed lap attempt. He was faster in the first attempt, but that may have been a "sighter" lap for both cars also, so maybe not representative either.

I don't think an "apples to apples" lap comparison can be done between them in this Q2 session.
Thank you for that, great work. I’ve been wanting to do this myself but, I’m still working through a covid “hangover” and didn’t have the energy. 😫
"In downforce we trust"

Seerix
Seerix

and Latifi improves to P9 at 7:37 to go - 1 minute after RIC
Alonso improves to p6 at 6:57 to go - 1.5 minute after RIC
Sainz also improves to p4 at 6:40 to go - but that's Ferrari

djos

And you don’t know how those cars were setup. Maclaren could be more optimised for a dry race, and vice versa.
Last edited by djos on 07 Jul 2022, 11:58, edited 1 time in total.
"In downforce we trust"

Stig14
Stig14

Seerix wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 11:38
and Latifi improves to P9 at 7:37 to go - 1 minute after RIC
Alonso improves to p6 at 6:57 to go - 1.5 minute after RIC
Sainz also improves to p4 at 6:40 to go - but that's Ferrari
This is the most damning information from that session for Daniel sadly

Snowblindoz

Macklaren wrote:
06 Jul 2022, 18:26
Snowblindoz wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 15:59
Slahinki wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 12:44
Well, according to the post race radio that late call was on both Will and Lando, and I certainly wouldn't want to remove the one driver we have that is performing.
I always thought Lando was quite a bright kid, no problem at all with his call in Russia, that was very much 50/50 while leading the race.
But if what your saying is right, then they need to get someone else to make the calls, because in this instance, it was a diabolical decision.
Perhaps they had too much time and faffed about in their heads over what was a pretty obvious call.
I was actually listening to the car radio live so I can shed some light on this. Before Lando pitted, he was asked whether he wanted to switch to the softs and Lando said he couldn't do it, but the team told him that Ocon did 22 laps on the softs and so he seemed convinced. Ultimately, the team put him on hards because that's what Fernando did. But when the safety car came out, the team again asked him to come in and switch to softs. But Lando this time said that the hards felt good and had come in so he didn't want to do that. There was then 30 seconds of silence before the team overruled him and asked him to box, but he had just passed the pit lane entry by then :(
Yeah, thanks for confirming what i thought.
I blame the engineer, he's got to be more assertive at a time like this, the call was just so obvious and the indecision cost them a 4pt swing to their nearest competitor.
As soon as i saw Ocon slowing, i checked the gap to the car behind Lando and Alonso (Vettel 25secs behind, more like 35 at safety car pace), also where Lando was on track (at the end of the Wellington straight).
It really was a no-brainer stop, i was apoplectic. ](*,)

I started supporting them in 1976 and i never thought i'd say this, but at the moment they just come across as being a bit wet.
They used to be one of the teams pushing the limits, having others protest to the FIA that Mclaren were stretching the rules, now they're just followers who moan about someone else doing it. And they're too vanilla to even make a formal protest against anyone nowadays (thinking of the Tracing Point brakes, when they moaned but left it to Renault to stick they're necks out).

Mclarenfanboy
Mclarenfanboy

If Ricciardo does not get his act together soon, his F1 career is over. This is a disaster, and you can see the scale of that disaster when your team boss gives an interview like that to the press, and you know that conversation he already had with the owners was even much worse, I guess Zak polished it , corporate old fox he is ... But, for Ricciardo, my god the guy is one of the most marketable guys in the paddock, and I think everyone in Mclaren wanted relationship to work ( it s a big bucks that the owners are paying), this is a disaster, I can not imagine the pressure that he is in, and I guess on Zak and everyone that brought him in. I think he will just fold and quit, if he does not turn this around and I am not sure he can, or he would already do that, slowly he is becoming a laughing stock of the whole paddock. The only thing would be worst if McLaren had built an actually good car , I mean Lando would steel maybe a win , and what .... Daniel would fight for the points or something like that, that would be even worse, like Hamilton vs Kovalainen

mclaren111

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... /10334162/

Key:
“We're all still learning a lot about these cars and the work that's been done in the background for 2023. Anything that we're researching for this car, depending on the cost cap, is all valid really for next year.

“It's still added fresh knowledge which can be applied to the 2023 car. So we're carrying on. Obviously, the 2023 car is well under way and we'll see what happens with the ability to update this year.

Really hope they solve MCL36's weaknesses...

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

hudnut wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 11:15

The “first lap” in Q2 is a preparation lap, they aren’t setting times at 1:47 - 1:48 lap times, bringing up that RIC was 0.75 faster than NOR is meaningless for the analysis… It wasn’t a “first attempt”, just warming up the tires.

The track didn’t devolve enough to justify the lap time difference to NOR on his flying lap… Not only that, you seem to not consider in the analysis the fact that VER, SAI, LEC, PER, RUS, HAM improved after RIC’s set his lap time (so in worst conditions)… Making matters even worst, even Latifi improved on his lap time after RIC set his… Trying to say that RIC had a poor qualifying because the track was slower 17 seconds after Norris set his lap time is not supported by what the rest of the drivers did on track.

Ricciardo simply messed up his first flying lap attempt in Q2 and the reality is that afterwards the track got worse and worse, but if he would have set a decent time like the rest of the drivers did, he would have probably made it into Q3.

Maax70

I think we can endlessly split the hairs about the performance of NOR and RIC. I think that RIC demonstrated to be a very competitive driver, on the other side NOR is one of the best talent in F1 today: same level of HAM, VER, LEC, RUS (I never seen so many talent together in F1), just give him a good car. I wish less bad luck and better performance for RIC to contribute to the team score for '22 and to stay close to the pace of Lando (not an easy task for everybody). But the point for MCL team seems to be the car not the drivers.

A.J.O
A.J.O

#03 fitted a bib infill during park ferme.
Probably took damage during qualifying.
https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... %C3%A9.pdf

djos

It looks to me like Lando got lucky with close to perfect conditions (relatively speaking) with his 2nd lap in Q2 as he never got even remotely close to that time again in Q2. Aside from that 1 very impressive, mega lap, Lando was slower than Daniel in Q2 for those first few laps.

"In downforce we trust"

runningmanz
runningmanz

Let the endless speculation end. Dan is with McLaren until at least the end of 2023. Zak again just confirmed it. Now lets get on with it and see if the car and Dan can improve and get back to what he is capable of doing.

"“Oh yeah,” he said confirmed when asked if Ricciardo would see out his contract with the team.

“He’s a fighter, and his results since we’ve said that — that’s not how they were intended — have been much closer to Lando, and he beat Lando, so maybe there was something … firing him up.

“We love working with him. He loves the team. We’ve seen when we give him a car that’s capable of winning, he can win in it.

“As he said last year, he didn’t feel he had a good season last year and he still won. So it’s in there. We’ve just got to figure out how to unlock it, give him a car that he’s more comfortable with.”"

https://www.foxsports.com.au/motorsport ... 935e37d75e

Ben1980
Ben1980

While I would assume its still likely Daniel sticks around next year. I don't think its a given. Just because they say it, doesn't mean it will happen. If he carries on not performing or contributing points, the pressure on him will continue.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

djos wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 01:49
It looks to me like Lando got lucky with close to perfect conditions (relatively speaking) with his 2nd lap in Q2 as he never got even remotely close to that time again in Q2. Aside from that 1 very impressive, mega lap, Lando was slower than Daniel in Q2 for those first few laps.

https://i.imgur.com/HJeYfBd.png
Lando was slower than Daniel in those first few laps? Are you arguing that Daniel was faster than Lando based on the time from when they pitted at the end of Q1 to when they crossed the finish line on their outlap? Which were 7 minutes? And then you are arguing that he was faster because he did his outlap faster than Lando?… I mean, I understand that you have a need to defend Daniel as much as possible, but we should at least make an effort to do it with some sort of meaningful data.

Lando didn’t got “lucky”, the track didn’t devolve in 15 seconds, both were on track “at the same time” in terms of track conditions… Even Latiffi in a Williams manage to improve in during the “heavy rain” period and was faster than Daniel by a full second.

Simply put, Daniel didn’t performed when he needed to… He had a very poor first attempt and that’s what made him miss on an opportunity to drive in Q3 and ultimately destroyed his race by starting so out of position… He wasn’t “unlucky”, the team didn’t screwed him or anything of the sort, he just disappointed and didn’t delivered during Qualifying.