2022 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
max_speed
max_speed

Re: 2022 Alpine F1 Team

The Prodigy wrote:
10 Jul 2022, 16:52
But on the positive side: The car is a rocket!
It does not help having a rocket if you cant launch it properly.

Alonso Fan

Wow so many missed opportunities owed to mechanical and operational issues. Wow. Such a shame. Alonso showed the full capability of the car throughout these last few races and ocon got himself nicely hooked up too this race. We had the potential to have a dream top 6 finish with both cars. These last few races have been painful. The car is clearly 4th best and knocking on the door of merc when the conditions are right. We're squandering this opportunity right now. But tbh it's a better problem to have than having a slow car and operational and mechanical perfection

Before the season began I wasn't really upbeat about the prospects of the team for the new regs. But my they've shown they can develop the thing snd make a really solid all round car. I was more expecting an Aston situation and thankfully it didn't materialise. So in that sense having mechanical and operational issues and a solid car is a nicer problem to have than the opposite way round
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Redragon

Without what happen yesterday, podium would have been a possibility today if circumstances presented similarly at the race day obviously

Mr Alcatraz

No, no 'noda ! :dork:

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

Alonsismo
Alonsismo

Fernando should have around 90 points...

this is unacceptable...

I hope Alpine fired Otmar, he is the worst team principal ive ever seen

diffuser

Alonsismo wrote:
10 Jul 2022, 21:42

this is unacceptable...

They just hired him!

Alonsismo
Alonsismo

diffuser wrote:
10 Jul 2022, 22:02
Alonsismo wrote:
10 Jul 2022, 21:42

this is unacceptable...

They just hired him!
i dont care.

Otmar is really bad for alpine.
we need Marcin to come back

diffuser

Weird, it wasn't that the pit crew that made a mistake. The new Mediums the went onto had a big vibration. They pitted again to put another set of new Mediums.

Bisonas

diffuser wrote:
10 Jul 2022, 22:09
Weird, it wasn't that the pit crew that made a mistake. The new Mediums the went onto had a big vibration. They pitted again to put another set of new Mediums.
The crew didn't made a mistake, but it was a failure of some part having to do with the front left wheel. I saw the onboard. IMO Alonso knew something was wrong and that probably some wheel wasn't fitted properly. He wasn't sure but he knew. He was very smart avoiding saying it or suggesting it on the team radio to avoid a penalty. When he was asked whats the issue by his mechanic, he was just replying we need to box again. Nothing more. At some point his mechanic is realizing whats going on and he said ok, box this lap. While entering the pit he said check front left. Team changes all tires.

In the aftermath, Alonso said he couldn't see the rim, which is true, but he felt vibrations. The catch here is that he never reported vibrations either when asked about what's the issue. He was telling only, we need to box again. He was smart. he didn't say anything to suggest the wheel might not be fitted properly.

When asked about the "check front left" message by the FIA he said that it was getting worse while turning right, so he knew something was going on in the front left.

FIA concluded that the wheel was fitted and tightened properly and that the failure occurred at some point exiting or after exiting the pits. It wasn't until just before turn 3 that the wheel slightly disengages from the car, while all the retention systems worked as designed.

So the FIA cleared them and didn't deemed this a "release in an unsafe condition".

factory_p

We'll never know if it was a failure at pit exit or an unsafe release. And that's the beauty of Fernando's radio call : it allowed them to pit again without disclosing an issue that might have earned them a penalty or a black and orange flag.

As for those who scream incompetence for this.. I don't think it's fair. Alpine's pit stops have been amongst the most reliable (not the fastest, the most reliable - i.e. the ones with the least amount of pit stops >5s) for 2 years. If they made a mistake today, well they are still amongst the best crews.

However, the car's reliability this year has been terrible so far. It hasn't been as visible as Ferrari in the way an engine blowout is more spectacular than a ERS problem or a sensor issue that cost the driver 100hp for the rest of the race. But still, it has been terrible reliability and needs to be adressed soon. I hope it won't cost them too much in the constructor's championship : they are now tied with McLaren but with a better momentum than McLaren lately. Hopdefully they will stay ahead of McLaren to the end of the season. And in that case, no harm done because the top 3 never was a realistic target with their pace this year IMO.

diffuser

factory_p wrote:
11 Jul 2022, 09:47
We'll never know if it was a failure at pit exit or an unsafe release. And that's the beauty of Fernando's radio call : it allowed them to pit again without disclosing an issue that might have earned them a penalty or a black and orange flag.

As for those who scream incompetence for this.. I don't think it's fair. Alpine's pit stops have been amongst the most reliable (not the fastest, the most reliable - i.e. the ones with the least amount of pit stops >5s) for 2 years. If they made a mistake today, well they are still amongst the best crews.

However, the car's reliability this year has been terrible so far. It hasn't been as visible as Ferrari in the way an engine blowout is more spectacular than a ERS problem or a sensor issue that cost the driver 100hp for the rest of the race. But still, it has been terrible reliability and needs to be adressed soon. I hope it won't cost them too much in the constructor's championship : they are now tied with McLaren but with a better momentum than McLaren lately. Hopdefully they will stay ahead of McLaren to the end of the season. And in that case, no harm done because the top 3 never was a realistic target with their pace this year IMO.
We know that the FIA examined the rim. They said the damage was consistent with a failure.

What's more that is a F1 common part this year.

Everyone has had reliability issues...
RBR         - fuel system, DRS
McLaren     - brakes, PU
Ferrari     - PU (also effected SAR & Haas).
SAT         - Fuel system, PU and Tsu.
That's just a few off the top of my head.

Merc has been the most consistent, which is why they have the points they have. Finishing 3ird would have been only possible with lots of good luck and lots of bad for Merc. They've just made the battle for 4th interesting for the rest of the year.
Last edited by diffuser on 11 Jul 2022, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.

diffuser

Over all not a bad weekend, not a good one either but hey not a complete disaster. Alonso did get a 5th PU and it didn't cost him anything. I presume that with the change in PU regs announced this week, their gonna allow Alpine to open the Bahrain PU that dropped the water pump to replace the pump. That should leave Alo with 2 PUs that have only been used for 1 race and 3 others with a combined 8 races.

Postmoe

While it has been extremely frustrating, moreover because Alonso's possible retirement gives every sting an extra level of itchiness, that is to be expected from a team that pushes the limits.

Pushing the limits forces you to unreliability, lessens your competitivity while you're adapting to it and, at the same time, is the only way to have any kind of championship options.

That is the situation were Alpine and Alonso have put themselves. It's not such a bad thing, Alonso had the 3rd fastes pace in Austria, was very fast in Canada & Silverstone. Limited time is what makes it so depressing.

And to make it worse, projects à la Renault/benetton of the Briatore era are almost impossible nowadays.

Redragon

F1Techy
@F1Techy
the most significant performance, was Alonso, starting from the back and punched his way through the field, and being the third-fastest car on track after the SVC is just mind-blowing. ”

https://mobile.twitter.com/F1Techy/sta ... 9421920256

diffuser

Re: Alpine A522

https://the-race.com/formula-1/al ... f1-teams/

The most recent major project was completed in 2019, when the factory – officially the Whiteways Technical Centre – had a two-storey extension to accommodate a new R&D suite and the existing reception, kitchen and staff restaurant were refurbished.

Further works have been undertaken since, though, with two approved this season including an extension to increase the existing truckie building to form a composite production building.

Various new recruits are also being sought, including in aerodynamics.

Alpine team principal Otmar Szafnauer told The Race: “There’s a still an element of expansion and investment and we’re committed to that.

“We’re looking at hiring another 75 people, there’s about 850 of us here.