Mercedes W13

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
SiLo

Re: Mercedes W13

Just_a_fan wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 13:07
chrisc90 wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 09:34
Just_a_fan wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 00:27

Reliability upgrades are possible. If you're running your ICE slightly below its power level because of a reliability issue, sorting that issue would bring performance and would be legal.

Do reliability upgrades not have to be warranted though? As in there has been a number of problems with xyz component or the engine has failed in the same way a couple times
I've no idea, but the teams are well versed in gaming the rules so if they can, they will.
Generally they will introduce the PU and then just run it at a lower power output initially. Their "reliability" upgrades are then focused on being able to run the engine at a higher ceiling for longer. They just have to provide evidence that the part they are replacing has a shorter lifespan basically.

So the PU's are not exactly frozen per say, it just vastly limits their spending on it. Otherwise they could also research entirely new engine architectures and change many other things that cost a lot more money.
Felipe Baby!

w1Y
w1Y

I have been wondering what this supposed secret update will be.

External aero: well that will be visible so doesn't fit the rumour of it being hidden.

Suspension: is it really easy to hide the suspension given the open garage rules?

Floor: I imagine a floor upgrade is a definate but again is it really hidden.

PU: I was wondering whether this is it. Whether they can be run more efficiently, carty less fuel but without a power loss. Or simply reliability upgrades that allows for higher for longer running.

Weight: not sure what the current situation is with Merc but a significant weight reduction could also be the hidden upgrade.

All of the above. I guess the problem if is that if its hidden then they are unlikely to openly talk about what it is and we will be left on the dark if we see a relative performance improvement

organic

prox

They have just turned the W13 into a BMW M4

ScrewCaptain27

They really are too similar to BMW grilles for it to be just a coincidence. Neat little inside joke IMO.
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

SiLo wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 14:08
Just_a_fan wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 13:07
chrisc90 wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 09:34

Do reliability upgrades not have to be warranted though? As in there has been a number of problems with xyz component or the engine has failed in the same way a couple times
I've no idea, but the teams are well versed in gaming the rules so if they can, they will.
Generally they will introduce the PU and then just run it at a lower power output initially. Their "reliability" upgrades are then focused on being able to run the engine at a higher ceiling for longer. They just have to provide evidence that the part they are replacing has a shorter lifespan basically.

So the PU's are not exactly frozen per say, it just vastly limits their spending on it. Otherwise they could also research entirely new engine architectures and change many other things that cost a lot more money.
Power unit (ICE part of the power unit actually) specification as presented and homologated at start of season is locked, no matter the imagination of some on here. Reliability updates when permitted/approved will in no way change the homologated specification.

atanatizante

How reliable is the info in this video regarding the new Silverstone updates? (from 3:28 min onwards)

In addition, he/they said quoting Michael Smith from AMuS that in the next 2 races it`ll be minor upgrades targeted to the floor:

Then, there (don`t know either about the reliability of this info) is another video describing the new Silverstone updates further than the one discussed in the above video: (from 6:57 min onwards, something regarding a new bib wing, a modified angle of the front wheel ...)

Last edited by atanatizante on 22 Jul 2022, 12:19, edited 1 time in total.
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Goblin42

New Driver cooling inlet on the Mercedes

cplchanb
cplchanb

Goblin42 wrote:
21 Jul 2022, 14:00
New Driver cooling inlet on the Mercedes

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... 110852.jpg
The nose profile also seems to have been changed too

pursue_one's

SuperCNJ
SuperCNJ

I'm obviously not very good at "spot the difference"!

I can see the nostrils are bigger, but what's the difference where the white arrows are pointing? Thinner elements perhaps?

Sevach
Sevach

SuperCNJ wrote:
21 Jul 2022, 14:49
I'm obviously not very good at "spot the difference"!

I can see the nostrils are bigger, but what's the difference where the white arrows are pointing? Thinner elements perhaps?
Fairly sure the top arrow is pointing at a reflex.

marvin78
marvin78

As far as I can see, the shape is the same.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

It's the same, one is essentially back lit and 1 isnt

El_KaPpa
El_KaPpa

Of course I struggle. I just don’t quit.