[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2022 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Alonso Fan

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2022 (Grand Prix Cars)

Red bull f1 model. Wonder if its attainable and if it can be used as a control? https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/red-bul ... b39366cafe
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Alonso Fan

i'm using blender and when i import the guides, they're 100 times too large and rotated about the x axis. so i scaled it down and rotated to the correct orientation. so when i export my car to stl, will i need to scale it back up and rotate again? or is this just a freecad or obj file thing? i opened the freecad file and exported it as obj and then opened that in blender.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

CAEdevice

Hi, a proposal about the floor strakes.
Considering that their extruded shape and costant thickness are mandatory and that they are included into the high resolution folder, would it be possible to reduce the thickness to 5mm instead of 10mm? They look very thick compared to the pictures of real cars.

spacehead3

LVDH wrote:
20 Jul 2022, 11:16
CAEdevice wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 20:43
A question about rule 13.1 (mirrors): does it mean that a kind of winglet with oval shape would be allowed, but an airbag foil (reverse, with concavity oriented towards the ground) would not be allowed?
https://www.cuemath.com/geometry/convex ... functions/
Further question on this: Surely it cannot be convex in all 3 X, Y, and Z planes? Especially in the Y plane we need to be able to curve it back to the chassis, no?
Max Taylor

CAEdevice

spacehead3 wrote:
22 Jul 2022, 03:31
LVDH wrote:
20 Jul 2022, 11:16
CAEdevice wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 20:43
A question about rule 13.1 (mirrors): does it mean that a kind of winglet with oval shape would be allowed, but an airbag foil (reverse, with concavity oriented towards the ground) would not be allowed?
https://www.cuemath.com/geometry/convex ... functions/
Further question on this: Surely it cannot be convex in all 3 X, Y, and Z planes? Especially in the Y plane we need to be able to curve it back to the chassis, no?
Too late ;) After studying the meaning of "convex" I had to change my design. Now mirrors are attached using a sloping straight rod.

spacehead3

CAEdevice wrote:
22 Jul 2022, 07:01
spacehead3 wrote:
Too late ;) After studying the meaning of "convex" I had to change my design. Now mirrors are attached using a sloping straight rod.
Yeah, that's what I ended up with as well. It works but I would be surprised if some people don't miss this rule.
Max Taylor

CAEdevice

Also the rear wing manadatory volumes/surfaces will not be easy to be compliant with.

LVDH

Alonso Fan wrote:
21 Jul 2022, 20:02
i'm using blender and when i import the guides, they're 100 times too large and rotated about the x axis. so i scaled it down and rotated to the correct orientation. so when i export my car to stl, will i need to scale it back up and rotate again? or is this just a freecad or obj file thing? i opened the freecad file and exported it as obj and then opened that in blender.
You might have some strange default settings in your Blender. But importing stl files always have these issues on every software. Just make sure to develop a good import and export workflow that works for you. MantiumFlow has a check for the overall dimensions of the car. It is slightly broken right now for the minimum z dimension. I will update it tomorrow. If MFlow then doe snot complain about your car, you know that it is OK. If it does, you have to check your export. The car should be at negative X in the nose area, positive X at the rear wing, y- Axis is through the wheels and Z from plank to roll-bar.

spacehead3 wrote:
22 Jul 2022, 13:20
CAEdevice wrote:
22 Jul 2022, 07:01
spacehead3 wrote:
Yeah, that's what I ended up with as well. It works but I would be surprised if some people don't miss this rule.
Sounds like checking the cars for the first race will be a lot of fun. [-o<

samuel_l25

When I try and run the case I get this text in the command window:

"MFlow.py:882: DeprecationWarning: onst QString &QProcess.startDetached(c command) is deprecated"

Anyone else had this problem?

running on windows

LVDH

samuel_l25 wrote:
18 Jul 2022, 22:49
hmmmmmm. I'm going to guess something has gone wrong with my .stl files...

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... nknown.png
The car dimension check should now work. I just uploaded a new version.

samuel_l25 wrote:
23 Jul 2022, 13:46

"MFlow.py:882: DeprecationWarning: onst QString &QProcess.startDetached(c command) is deprecated"

running on windows
I think this is just to annoy you. The software itself runs, right?

CAEdevice

Hi, I was wondering if we rally need to include wheels and dummy rims (rule 2.1) in the submission, considering that they are common parts.

LVDH

CAEdevice wrote:
23 Jul 2022, 21:17
Hi, I was wondering if we rally need to include wheels and dummy rims (rule 2.1) in the submission, considering that they are common parts.
Ah, the perks of not having anyone review the rules before they get posted.
You are right, contenders should not submit mandatory MAND_* parts. During sim setup, I delete them and copy my files into the correct folders.

Everyone should have received an email yesterday with the car submission link. Please keep in mind that it is the teams' responsibility to submit the car in time! If you do not have the link, please check your spam folders, make sure, you actually signed up for the new season, get in touch with me,...

samuel_l25

LVDH wrote:
23 Jul 2022, 14:36
samuel_l25 wrote:

samuel_l25 wrote:

running on windows
I can 'Build Case' which it does do. When I click 'Run Case' I get that line of text in the command window (although doesn't show in the MFlow.log) then nothing else happens even after waiting 40 minutes.

I have just tried running a 2020 MVRC based car that I made last year and it surprisingly works using MFlow_2207d...

Shark tutorial also works with MFlow_2207d.

CAEdevice

Hi, a question about rule 12.6 (floor strakes).

Can the strakes pass through the floor and be visible from above, provided that they still are simple extrusions?

LVDH

samuel_l25 wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 12:06
LVDH wrote:
23 Jul 2022, 14:36
samuel_l25 wrote:

samuel_l25 wrote:

running on windows
I can 'Build Case' which it does do. When I click 'Run Case' I get that line of text in the command window (although doesn't show in the MFlow.log) then nothing else happens even after waiting 40 minutes.

I have just tried running a 2020 MVRC based car that I made last year and it surprisingly works using MFlow_2207d...

Shark tutorial also works with MFlow_2207d.
Sounds like something is then wrong with you CAD data. If you, like, you can send it to me, so I can have a look.

CAEdevice wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 09:40
Hi, a question about rule 12.6 (floor strakes).

Can the strakes pass through the floor and be visible from above, provided that they still are simple extrusions?
I think, they have to stay in their volume. But I kind of think, it could be possible.

I forwarded emails to some people, which did not get the mail for race 1. I hope everybody now has a submission link. There will be a reminder email this weekend.