2022 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
JordanMugen

Re: 2022 Alpine F1 Team

selvam_e2002 wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 07:42
It seems you are not liking Alonso in Alpine.
I like Alonso in Alpine, he is doing a good job, but Alpine have to find a place for Piastri if^ they want to keep Piastri (and, of course, the Williams place is most likely for Sargaent, which is only logical for Williams, so is not an option for Alpine). After all Alonso himself debuted as a young driver, not as a 25-year-old... Just as 2003 for Enstone was all about what is best for Alonso, 2023 for Enstone is all about what is best for Piastri, no? :)

It was bad enough that Alonso had to spend 2002 as reserve driver like Piastri is in 2022... Now it is implied that apparently Alonso, just like Piastri, should have spent 2003 & 2004 as reserve driver as well while a safe veteran like say Alesi drove the Renault? :wtf:

If Alonso would not have been better prepared for 2005 by three seasons as reserve driver, how can Piastri be better prepared for 2025 by doing three seasons as reserve driver?! :shock:

^If, on the other hand, Alpine would prefer to drop Piastri as Piastri's talents in 2023 are inferior to Alonso's talents in 2003 that is totally fine, and they are more than welcome to do so. :)

draghixa
draghixa

JordanMugen wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 08:26
selvam_e2002 wrote:
I like Alonso in Alpine, he is doing a good job, but Alpine have to find a place for Piastri if^ they want to keep Piastri (and, of course, the Williams place is most likely for Sargaent, which is only logical for Williams, so is not an option for Alpine). After all Alonso himself debuted as a young driver, not as a 25-year-old... Just as 2003 for Enstone was all about what is best for Alonso, 2023 for Enstone is all about what is best for Piastri, no? :)

It was bad enough that Alonso had to spend 2002 as reserve driver like Piastri is in 2022... Now it is implied that apparently Alonso, just like Piastri, should have spent 2003 & 2004 as reserve driver as well while a safe veteran like say Alesi drove the Renault? :wtf:

If Alonso would not have been better prepared for 2005 by three seasons as reserve driver, how can Piastri be better prepared for 2025 by doing three seasons as reserve driver?! :shock:

^If, on the other hand, Alpine would prefer to drop Piastri as Piastri's talents in 2023 are inferior to Alonso's talents in 2003 that is totally fine, and they are more than welcome to do so. :)
Alonso was not an unknown young driver when he joined Renault , his manager put him in Minardi , a back marker, and Alonso outraced his teammates regularly and sometimes as much as two seconds a lap faster in the same car. He got his chance in F1 because he proved himself on race track, not just by a champion trophy.

JordanMugen

draghixa wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 09:26
Alonso was not an unknown young driver when he joined Renault , his manager put him in Minardi , a back marker, and Alonso outraced his teammates regularly and sometimes as much as two seconds a lap faster in the same car. He got his chance in F1 because he proved himself on race track, not just by a champion trophy.
Very true and a very good point indeed! =D>

Alonso Fan

JordanMugen wrote:
selvam_e2002 wrote:

Not sure how you can say so confidently that the Williams place is for sargaent when all credible media sources say piastri to Williams is almost a done deal.
Last edited by Alonso Fan on 24 Jul 2022, 12:53, edited 1 time in total.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

diffuser

JordanMugen wrote:
selvam_e2002 wrote:

Piasti will be a Williams next year. It's a done deal.

JordanMugen

Alonso Fan wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 12:05
all credible media sources say piastri to Williams is almost a done deal.
diffuser wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 12:41
Great to hear! =D>

Is that a one-year deal or two, likewise for Alonso? The former -- one year deals for each -- would make more sense for Sargeant. :?:

Edit -- Do you happen to have a source for the announcement/confirmation? :) I haven't seen articles linking Piastri to Williams any more recent than June myself, :oops: from which time Sargaent has been driving much better and making a compelling case for a Williams drive in his own right.

Is this the confirmation from the press conference at Paul Ricard?

Reporter: "Will Oscar Piastri be driving in F1 in 2023?"
Otmar Szafnauer : "Yes." =D>

In itself, that does not appear to be confirmation of a Williams rather than Alpine drive however. Williams will be mindful of promoting Sargaent to an F1 drive no later than 2024 and potentially in 2023:

Joest Capito on Logan Sargaent: "I think he will be in a Formula One car in the future, I'm absolutely convinced."
https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sport ... 022-07-23/

Joest Capito, dated 23 July 2022:
"We’ve got various options, and that’s the options [Piastri, Sargaent] we are thinking about as well. We will finally go for what we believe is the best for the team. But it’s too early to get into details, because we’re not there yet."

"If [Piastri loan] was the best for us, then we would consider that. If it’s not the best and we would have another better solution, we will go for the better solution."
https://the-race.com/formula-1/the-unex ... race-seat/

Capito's comments do not sound like Piastri is confirmed for either one or two seasons. :?: If Piastri is not confirmed at Williams by Capito, then the unspecified F1 drive confirmed by Sfanzeur would instead be at Alpine.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

JordanMugen wrote:
selvam_e2002 wrote:
I like Alonso in Alpine, he is doing a good job, but Alpine have to find a place for Piastri if^ they want to keep Piastri (and, of course, the Williams place is most likely for Sargaent, which is only logical for Williams, so is not an option for Alpine).
If Alpine build a worthy car, they will have their pick of top drivers groveling at their feet including Piastri if the latter is a top driver. If Alpine cannot convince Piastri to "come home because the car is quick", they'll have failed in their medium term objectives and who is driving it will be rather irrelevant.
A lion must kill its prey.

diffuser

AR3-GP wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 13:44
JordanMugen wrote:
selvam_e2002 wrote:
I like Alonso in Alpine, he is doing a good job, but Alpine have to find a place for Piastri if^ they want to keep Piastri (and, of course, the Williams place is most likely for Sargaent, which is only logical for Williams, so is not an option for Alpine).
If Alpine build a worthy car, they will have their pick of top drivers groveling at their feet including Piastri if the latter is a top driver. If Alpine cannot convince Piastri to "come home because the car is quick", they'll have failed in their medium term objectives and who is driving it will be rather irrelevant.
Yeah. Can you imagine getting rid of a driver that out qualifies another driver 2 to 1? Then imagine the new driver is even slower than the slow driver that you kept? There is a word for that in F1... oh yeah "Austin Martin Racing"!

Alonso Fan

JordanMugen wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 12:58
Alonso Fan wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 12:05
all credible media sources say piastri to Williams is almost a done deal.
diffuser wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 12:41
Great to hear! =D>

Is that a one-year deal or two, likewise for Alonso? The former -- one year deals for each -- would make more sense for Sargeant. :?:

Edit -- Do you happen to have a source for the announcement/confirmation? :) I haven't seen articles linking Piastri to Williams any more recent than June myself, :oops: from which time Sargaent has been driving much better and making a compelling case for a Williams drive in his own right.

Is this the confirmation from the press conference at Paul Ricard?

Reporter: "Will Oscar Piastri be driving in F1 in 2023?"
Otmar Szafnauer : "Yes." =D>

In itself, that does not appear to be confirmation of a Williams rather than Alpine drive however. Williams will be mindful of promoting Sargaent to an F1 drive no later than 2024 and potentially in 2023:

Joest Capito on Logan Sargaent: "I think he will be in a Formula One car in the future, I'm absolutely convinced."
https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sport ... 022-07-23/

Joest Capito, dated 23 July 2022:
"We’ve got various options, and that’s the options [Piastri, Sargaent] we are thinking about as well. We will finally go for what we believe is the best for the team. But it’s too early to get into details, because we’re not there yet."

"If [Piastri loan] was the best for us, then we would consider that. If it’s not the best and we would have another better solution, we will go for the better solution."
https://the-race.com/formula-1/the-unex ... race-seat/

Capito's comments do not sound like Piastri is confirmed for either one or two seasons. :?: If Piastri is not confirmed at Williams by Capito, then the unspecified F1 drive confirmed by Sfanzeur would instead be at Alpine.
The Race mentions it often as does racefans and other media outlets. Ted mentioned it in the quali notebook yesterday but interestingly he also mentioned mclaren as another potential seat. No idea how these negotiations work but I think mclaren is the hold up here. I think alpine are trying everything to put piastri in the second mclaren to evaluate him against norris who is a known quantity but Danny ric doesn't want to go. Only if and when the mclaren deal falls through will Williams be piastri's priority. In the end who knows but I think ric will stay personally
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

JordanMugen

diffuser wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 14:02
Then imagine the new driver is even slower than the slow driver that you kept?
That's not for sure, but where was your source that the Piastri-Williams deal is done? :)

diffuser

JordanMugen wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 17:01
diffuser wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 14:02
Then imagine the new driver is even slower than the slow driver that you kept?
That's not for sure, but where was your source that the Piastri-Williams deal is done? :)
No source. They're not gonna announce it till some time after the summer break.

Anyways, I'm done talking about this. It will not change the outcome.

RedNEO

Results like today make we wish Alpine had struck when the iron was still hot in places like Australia and so on with Alonso. Anyway good result.. hope for more upgrades soon Mercedes has taken huge steps forward

RedNEO

Jambier wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 09:55
RedNEO wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 05:10
Alonso is gold.. alpine would be fools to let him go
- He is their number 1 driver
- He is a marketing asset
- He is pushing the car well

So it make no sense to replace him
I concur! He hasn’t been getting number 1 reliability though.. hopefully that is all in the past now.. it’s cost him 50 points or something lol

Alonsismo
Alonsismo

alpine needs to upgrade its front wing.
the need more traction on the front of the car to be able to have a better balance for high downforce corners

organic

Alonsismo wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 01:34
alpine needs to upgrade its front wing.
the need more traction on the front of the car to be able to have a better balance for high downforce corners
Yeah they need more front end, like most teams. But it needs to be brought in a way that's efficient, cheap and realistic. Front wing upgrades are expensive & in the new rule regs the FW is fairly prescribed so not many avenues to gain tons of laptime there I think. The area for development to alter the balance is undoubtedly the floor which Alpine has been developing.