2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PhillipM
PhillipM

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Depends if it just meant he had to take a wide line or something I guess. See what we hear back.

MrGapes

Darth-Piekus wrote:
30 Jul 2022, 17:04
Why didn't Daniel complete his last lap? He is again a long way off Norris.

Good job from Lando Norris again. That is the fastest the car can go compared to the first 3.
because he wasnt improving - thats what I read on the teamstream "lap didnt come together" according to Daniel
Last edited by MrGapes on 30 Jul 2022, 17:08, edited 2 times in total.

Emag
Emag

I don't know why Max even started that lap to be honest. He was so slow he was basically a moving hazard on track.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Again, Ricciardo disappoints in Q3. I keep saying this, he struggles when the track is at its quickest. We’ve seen this so many times. He definitely has issues with tyres.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

MrGapes

ok I went and checked the full last lap, he was clear the whole lap, so no impeding

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Nice performance from Lando, an amazing lap, most of the lap delta to Russell happen in one turn (Turn 7), he was actually faster at times… The car is also well balanced and seems to keep improving, the team getting to grips with how to set it up, nice performance in the slow corners.

A shame for Daniel, missed opportunity in a track where overtaking has always been difficult and with not enough pace differential to mount an attack during the race… Been behind both Alpines is less than ideal, hopefully the Team can come up with an strategy to at least get ahead of one of those cars tomorrow

Ben1980
Ben1980

4th is above expectations even with the good practice sessions.

Disapointing that Daniel starts behind the Alpines. I'm sure he will be defended but 9th against 4th really isn't good enough especially in such a tight battle for 4th. Like the 5th vs 11th last weekend.

Big Tea

Ben1980 wrote:
30 Jul 2022, 17:59

Disapointing that Daniel starts behind the Alpines. I'm sure he will be defended but 9th against 4th really isn't good enough especially in such a tight battle for 4th. Like the 5th vs 11th last weekend.
Remember though, the 2 RBR cars are missing. Still to be congratulated, good job
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Stig14
Stig14

Ben1980 wrote:
30 Jul 2022, 17:59

Agreed- Lando's lap must have been good to be clear of the Alpines by 2 tenths. It's unfortunate it's not worth any grid positions as usually 2 tenths would cover several cars!

As for Daniel, the gap in quali to Lando seems to vary between 2-6 tenths depending on the track so this is certainly one of his worse sessions this season. He did at least make Q3 though which is more than could be said for a lot of his Saturdays this year and the points are handed out tomorrow.

Strategy should be interesting tomorrow with the high deg and short pit lane making a 2 stop seemingly the default choice. Looks like McLaren saved 2 sets of mediums and one set of hards for each of the boys?

Xero

Pretty interesting quotes from Lando post-qualifying. When posed the question that if the car's weakness is drag related, he completely shut it down and dismissed it. He actually sounded a bit perplexed by the suggestion. Maybe we've got it wrong about McLaren suffering from higher drag. Lando suggested it was entirely down to car setup, and the restrictions that the recent upgrades have allowed them to get around. I guess we'll find out in 4 weeks time, but let's just enjoy tomorrow before going into the break in the meantime.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Xero wrote:
30 Jul 2022, 21:08
Pretty interesting quotes from Lando post-qualifying. When posed the question that if the car's weakness is drag related, he completely shut it down and dismissed it. He actually sounded a bit perplexed by the suggestion. Maybe we've got it wrong about McLaren suffering from higher drag. Lando suggested it was entirely down to car setup, and the restrictions that the recent upgrades have allowed them to get around. I guess we'll find out in 4 weeks time, but let's just enjoy tomorrow before going into the break in the meantime.
Well… I’ve kept saying that there is more to it than just sidepod design… And there are plenty of examples out there in that regard :)

Emag
Emag

Xero wrote:
The cars are so sensitive though. It's impossible to pinpoint exact weaknesses without knowing much what's going.

The main culprit could have been the lack of peak downforce all along, just as the team said back in Bahrain. And the way that they have had to use to get away with it up until this point caused a lot of drag in the car. So in a way, drag was the issue, but it was probably induced as a side-effect of trying to get around the lack of downforce.

billamend
billamend

Xero wrote:
I think he was not being serious about that https://streamja.com/0OP6a

djos

Darth-Piekus wrote:

Good job from Lando Norris again. That is the fastest the car can go compared to the first 3.
Maybe he made a mistake and aborted the lap, like Lando did at the end of Q2.

Edit: yeah he was losing the rear on his last lap

"In downforce we trust"

MrGapes

djos wrote:
31 Jul 2022, 03:34
Darth-Piekus wrote:

Maybe he made a mistake and aborted the lap, like Lando did at the end of Q2.

Edit: yeah he was losing the rear on his last lap

Lando aborted q2 because he was told to, to save the tyres for first run q3