2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SilviuAgo

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Not the race that we want,still behind Alpines...let's hope summer break will bring a better McLaren after understanding the package that they introduced in France.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Darth-Piekus wrote:
31 Jul 2022, 16:54
Painful getting a penalty from a scuffle with Daddy's moneyseat boy.
Any chance you can stop with the pettiness? Why the name calling?… You say you watch Formula 1 since the 80’s, that means you are an adult… Can you act like one?

And no, the penalty is because Daniel messed up and cause the collision, he fought Stroll on cold tires, locked the fronts and hit Stroll, not the other way around.

Slahinki
Slahinki

Darth-Piekus wrote:
31 Jul 2022, 16:54
Painful getting a penalty from a scuffle with Daddy's moneyseat boy.
In a very typically Stroll manoeuvre none-the-less.

CjC
CjC

The strategy for Daniel for his last stop was wrong but he’s been murdered by Lando again on the same strategy. I’m sure the stout, absurd defence of Daniel will roll on for the next 19 days because according to this thread you can’t compare teams mates.

Mega job by Lando, he bossed the midfield this week. Spa will be a massive challenge and potentially painful to watch as a McLaren fan
Just a fan's point of view

runningmanz
runningmanz

SmallSoldier wrote:
31 Jul 2022, 16:44
runningmanz wrote:
31 Jul 2022, 16:39
SmallSoldier wrote:
31 Jul 2022, 16:32

Lando is on the exact same strategy and 40 seconds ahead of Daniel running comfortable in 7th and opening a gap to Alpine every lap… The strategy isn’t the problem here
Cmon be fair Lando pitted for new hards and came out around others that were on 30+ old mediums. Dan pitted and came out barely in front of Stroll on new softs and Vettel on new mediums. He had no chance of stopping those guys passing.
I’m not blaming him for not been able to defend against Stroll / Vettel… They were already catching him before the PitStop… That isn’t the issue… The issue is that he was so far behind his Team Mate “Before” the Pit Stop that he was fighting those Aston Martin… He would have been overtaken if he didn’t Pit Stop, he would have been overtaken if he stayed out… Nothing to blame him for in regards to that fight with the AMR’s… But, it is on him to be so far behind Lando in Race Pace
His pace wasn't that bad compared to Lando until being dropped on hards in the middle of those faster tyre guys at the last stop. His start was decent before being pushed off by Alonso into T1. Not easy to close up on your teammate when starting 9th vs 4th. Needs to qualli better though for sure but really he wasn't too bad this race up until that last stop.

Stig14
Stig14

CjC wrote:
31 Jul 2022, 16:59
The strategy for Daniel for his last stop was wrong but he’s been murdered by Lando again on the same strategy. I’m sure the stout, absurd defence of Daniel will roll on for the next 19 days because according to this thread you can’t compare teams mates.

Mega job by Lando, he bossed the midfield this week. Spa will be a massive challenge and potentially painful to watch as a McLaren fan
Well said- though I'm not sure Spa will be that painful (perhaps I'm overly optimistic). Overall the second half of the season should be a good fight between ourselves and Alpine. Lots to look forward to yet!

On a related note- Daniel taking both Alpines probably made me do the biggest cheer of the year so far! Shame about his final stint

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

runningmanz wrote:
31 Jul 2022, 17:00
SmallSoldier wrote:
31 Jul 2022, 16:44
runningmanz wrote:
31 Jul 2022, 16:39

Cmon be fair Lando pitted for new hards and came out around others that were on 30+ old mediums. Dan pitted and came out barely in front of Stroll on new softs and Vettel on new mediums. He had no chance of stopping those guys passing.
I’m not blaming him for not been able to defend against Stroll / Vettel… They were already catching him before the PitStop… That isn’t the issue… The issue is that he was so far behind his Team Mate “Before” the Pit Stop that he was fighting those Aston Martin… He would have been overtaken if he didn’t Pit Stop, he would have been overtaken if he stayed out… Nothing to blame him for in regards to that fight with the AMR’s… But, it is on him to be so far behind Lando in Race Pace
His pace wasn't that bad compared to Lando until being dropped on hards in the middle of those faster tyre guys at the last stop. His start was decent before being pushed off by Alonso into T1. Not easy to close up on your teammate when starting 9th vs 4th. Needs to qualli better though for sure but really he wasn't too bad this race up until that last stop.
Yes, there is improvement needed in most aspects, qualifying closer has to be step 1… But, there was a big pace difference, specially during the second stint when both were on Mediums, both on Free Air.

A key mistake was probably fighting Stroll after the second Pit Stop, bringing in the tires was more important than losing that position and compromising the whole stint, but with Adrenaline running high and these guys been competitors, I can see how he tried hard to stay ahead.

Darth-Piekus

SmallSoldier wrote:
31 Jul 2022, 16:56
Any chance you can stop with the pettiness? Why the name calling?… You say you watch Formula 1 since the 80’s, that means you are an adult… Can you act like one?

And no, the penalty is because Daniel messed up and cause the collision, he fought Stroll on cold tires, locked the fronts and hit Stroll, not the other way around.
Don't act high and mighty. People ridiculed MclarenSenna when he threw some cold facts regarding the car some days before. A lot of people on this forum do not act like adults. Still what I said is true. Some drivers should not be in F1 and it's painful to get a penalty from one of them. Stroll is one of them.

MrGapes

Darth-Piekus wrote:
31 Jul 2022, 17:12
SmallSoldier wrote:

Don't act high and mighty. People ridiculed MclarenSenna when he threw some cold facts regarding the car some days before. A lot of people on this forum do not act like adults. Still what I said is true. Some drivers should not be in F1 and it's painful to get a penalty from one of them. Stroll is one of them.
But obviously it wasn’t his fault… I don’t understand why your ridiculing Stroll in this situation…

Seerix
Seerix

I feel like maybe emotions are taking over with some people here :)
Ric even said he apologized for crashing into Stroll, but sure, go on namecalling if it makes you feel better.
Also suggestions to put on mediums where the team has no available sets anymore are funny. Why not use hypersofts for 50 laps then? That would surely be faster.

Lando had a good race even with that stint on hards. From his last interviews I have a feeling he is not very happy with team's performance. Last two races he talked about his lap as 'pole lap'. He is starting to notice that even if he puts in perfect lap, it's only good for p4/p7 etc. Today he also said 'from my side I am satisfied', hinting at car performance not being there. I hope team will be able to give him better car soon. Otherwise I am afraid he might be taken away from Mcl (yes, even with contract) if some seat in top team becomes available.

Ben1980
Ben1980

Missed the race. Looks like Lando did Lando things and got basically the best result (if none of the top 3 teams have an issue) and Daniel seemingly struggled again.

The issue with Daniel seems to be his qualifying is basically terrible, and it puts him in midfield squabbles, when he really shouldn't be in that position.

Both cars should have qualified above the Alpines and both should have finished in front of them. This should have been an easy 7th and 8th.

Xero

Darth-Piekus wrote:
31 Jul 2022, 17:12
SmallSoldier wrote:

He is correct, and your not the only one. A lot of opinions get thrown around without an ounce of regard or understanding of the complexity of this sport. Instead of absorbing factual information and learning from it, it often comes across as mindless trolling.

Stroll did nothing wrong, had a very good race to be fair to him.

Darth-Piekus

Sometimes emotions take over and making people petty over a bad situation. Stroll didn't do anything wrong. It was the heat of the moment and the fact that he shouldn't be in F1 that made me say that at that point of the race.

Emag
Emag

For me its kinda hard to get mad over losing a potential P10. There's just so little value to it.

If he crashed into Stroll while battling for a potential podium/win then Id be pissed, but honestly, I couldn't care less if Daniel finished P10 or P20 today.

McL-H
McL-H

Am I the only one happy with this weekend? Lando performed great. Car is definitely capable of fighting for 4th in the WCC. Ricciardo is the only letdown actually, but I guess I have got accustomed to that. All I can say is that I am proud of the performance of the team after such a difficult start to the season. They have really improved the car a lot.

I expected more of them before the season and I expect more of them in upcoming seasons. But for now, I think they are maximising with what they’ve got. Car is ok, strategies are good, pitstops have been good, and one driver has been more than good.

Not confident we will finish 4th, though. Because you need 2 drivers to do so.