2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
the EDGE
the EDGE

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Daniel was having a good weekend… until the Hards went on. Lando was passing cars, but Daniel just got stuck behind them. Quite surprising from such a talented racer. Clearly the hards exacerbated his problems with how the car handles

Hopefully McLaren can start to understand their handling problems in the second half of the season. They must get on top of it if they are going to close the gap to the top teams next year

Mclarenfanboy
Mclarenfanboy

Especially if Russell stars winning with a Merc, both English, same generation, woulf be a shame that maybe the most talented racer of his generation lingers in midfield team. But I think he will get his chance in one of 3 big teams eventually. Maybe in 2025, if this continues I can t see him in Mclaren car in the last year of his contract. But it s not a bad position for him, he is in F1, does not have to worry about that, money is good, and if he continuous to carry the team, one of the big ones will surely sign him. I am maybe a little bad, but Mclaren is starting to look like a place where you career as a F1 driver comes to die. :lol: :lol: :shock:

Stig14
Stig14

McL-H wrote:
31 Jul 2022, 18:25
Am I the only one happy with this weekend? Lando performed great. Car is definitely capable of fighting for 4th in the WCC. Ricciardo is the only letdown actually, but I guess I have got accustomed to that. All I can say is that I am proud of the performance of the team after such a difficult start to the season. They have really improved the car a lot.

I expected more of them before the season and I expect more of them in upcoming seasons. But for now, I think they are maximising with what they’ve got. Car is ok, strategies are good, pitstops have been good, and one driver has been more than good.

Not confident we will finish 4th, though. Because you need 2 drivers to do so.
I too was happy with the weekend- I think Lando maximised what was possible and demonstrated the car was able to compete at the front of the midfield at two very different tracks (France and Hungary) following their update. We will likely get crucified on here though as people will point out McLaren weren't anywhere near winning the race but realistically, that's not where we are atm. Times like this make the podiums and wins all the sweeter.

I agree with the difficulties in finishing fourth. Despite Ocon's aggressive manoeuvres on Alonso in the race, he was still competitive and generally is there or thereabouts in quali compared to his teammate. Strategy and pitstops seemed solid (starting on softs was a positive move IMO) though in hindsight extending Daniel's middle stint for some softs at the end might have been preferable to what transpired.

mwillems

Mclarens tight midfield battles this year and the previous 2 have been ultimately decided by the consistency of the team pairing. The first battle we won, but since Sainz left we have lost that battle once and are at risk of losing it again.

It can't really get much clearer than that.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

mwillems wrote:
31 Jul 2022, 21:45
Mclarens tight midfield battles this year and the previous 2 have been ultimately decided by the consistency of the team pairing. The first battle we won, but since Sainz left we have lost that battle once and are at risk of losing it again.

It can't really get much clearer than that.
Exactly. You also have to bear in mind as well that in 2020 Mclaren was the 4th fastest team at best, many times they were 5th fastest. Lando and Carlos was the best driver pairing in the midfield by far. Ferrari thought so too.

But hold the phone….. Dans defence will say he’s been unlucky for the past EIGHTEEN MONTHS baring the 3 days in Monza 2021
Just a fan's point of view

mwillems

I think if you look at the individual races you could argue that he has had bad luck and he has been very close to Lando on pace at times. But as soon as you take a step back you can't just say it's been bad luck all this time, there has to be an element of making your own luck and maximising your opportunities. Whilst Dan has been able to be on the pace in more than a few races, he has rarely been able to take his opportunities and convert them to decent points or to strong results and this is not changing.

I have to say I have been a bit laissez-fair regarding Daniel but my mind is slowly shifting and starting to hope that he will leave at the end of this season, despite that being unlikely.

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

Me too, I like Dan. I was really happy he signed for the team but it’s a results based sport and for what ever reason the results haven’t been there for him
Just a fan's point of view

Ben1980
Ben1980

I'd guess most fans were excited by the signing of Daniel, was a big move.

While I get their can be arguments about the strategy for him, namely should he have gone on softs or stayed out longer. And he's had some bad luck.

It's just become so predictable and expected. These last 2 races, he had a car to qualify ahead of the Alpines and a chance to finish in front of them. But just nothing from him.

Whilst I don't expect him to go, and not sure if it's the best thing to go, it just feels like he should go.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Ben1980 wrote:
31 Jul 2022, 22:54
Much as I like Dan, I was disappointed that Carlos was going, he was always far better than the baying hounds here made him out to be.

McL-H
McL-H

Stig14 wrote:
31 Jul 2022, 18:42
McL-H wrote:
31 Jul 2022, 18:25
Am I the only one happy with this weekend? Lando performed great. Car is definitely capable of fighting for 4th in the WCC. Ricciardo is the only letdown actually, but I guess I have got accustomed to that. All I can say is that I am proud of the performance of the team after such a difficult start to the season. They have really improved the car a lot.

I expected more of them before the season and I expect more of them in upcoming seasons. But for now, I think they are maximising with what they’ve got. Car is ok, strategies are good, pitstops have been good, and one driver has been more than good.

Not confident we will finish 4th, though. Because you need 2 drivers to do so.
I too was happy with the weekend- I think Lando maximised what was possible and demonstrated the car was able to compete at the front of the midfield at two very different tracks (France and Hungary) following their update. We will likely get crucified on here though as people will point out McLaren weren't anywhere near winning the race but realistically, that's not where we are atm. Times like this make the podiums and wins all the sweeter.

I agree with the difficulties in finishing fourth. Despite Ocon's aggressive manoeuvres on Alonso in the race, he was still competitive and generally is there or thereabouts in quali compared to his teammate. Strategy and pitstops seemed solid (starting on softs was a positive move IMO) though in hindsight extending Daniel's middle stint for some softs at the end might have been preferable to what transpired.
Yes, I agree. I found it odd when the team put him on the hard compound while it was clear that these tyres were not up to performance today. Better to prolong the stint and move to soft. But Lando said after the race he had been really struggling with tyre degradation so I take it Daniel was experiencing the same and couldn’t extend the stint either. That’s probably something they will analyse during the summer break.

As much as I want McLaren to fight for wins again, I have accepted they are way off the top teams this year. I have been very disappointed as well at the beginning of this season, after having closed the gap so much last season and maybe expecting too much of the new technical regulations and budget cap being of benefit to us. But better to accept the position we are in and have a positive look forward in maximising this year with what we’ve got and make another step forward next year. As long as we don’t find ourselves in a 2015-2017 situation again. I don’t think I would be able to cope with that anymore. At least we’re fighting to be best of the rest again. Like you said, when we’re back at the front it will taste only sweeter.

McL-H
McL-H

PhillipM wrote:
31 Jul 2022, 23:16
Ben1980 wrote:
Much as I like Dan, I was disappointed that Carlos was going, he was always far better than the baying hounds here made him out to be.
I was disappointed with Carlos leaving as from the pairing with Lando he had been the faster and more consistent driver. But as I expected that Daniel could perform at the same level I thought it wasn’t really a step backwards. It seemed like we made an equal trade. But who could have expected Ricciardo to struggle so much?

MrGapes

Seeing Lando in interviews he certainly seems a lot more frustrated with the car lately… I wouldn’t blame him when all your peers have cars that can fight for wins and your stuck in no mans land

mwillems

PhillipM wrote:
Ben1980 wrote:
I don't particularly recall any baying hounds with Carlos, he was very popular here I thought?

I liked Carlos a lot, I just thought he was going to Ferrari to be fast enough to get points but not fast enough to impede a Leclerc championship, which seems about right.

However he doesn't need to because Charles and the Ferrari strategists can combine to screw his championship hopes all by themselves..

-Bandit

billamend
billamend

PhillipM wrote:
Still my favourite pairing, in all dimensions. Not only very competitive, but also good for the team morale, good for development, good for PR... Wish he hadn't left.

mwillems

MrGapes wrote:
31 Jul 2022, 23:58
Seeing Lando in interviews he certainly seems a lot more frustrated with the car lately… I wouldn’t blame him when all your peers have cars that can fight for wins and your stuck in no mans land
I'm going to get an angry mob coming after me here, but I don't think Lando has done enough to be in the category of Charles, Max or George. They came in and were brilliant from the start, Lando has been a slow burner and I'd really like to see him in a top level car to understand what he's really capable of when driving regularly against the best.

-Bandit