2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Ground Effect wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 16:37
basti313 wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 16:29
I still do not see how this is ending up. They have the whole US gang, test them in the F1 car and now add another youngster? McLaren collecting drivers like others collect sneakers?

They collected now the best young drivers in Indy car. Ok, maybe by allowing them to get practice in F1, not necessarily a seat. But I still see no reason why Alpine should take Ric if McLaren wants to ditch him for a youngster.
Well, if Scott Mitchell is to be believed, Alpine aren’t exactly in the drivers seat in this one. I also see McLaren taking on the young IndyCar drivers as a help to his pal Andretti. Get them ready for F1, give them seat testing time, while Andretti pushes for his team, then loan them to Andretti IF he’s successful in getting the green light for his team?
If there is so much involved in it, that would be quiet an strategical move by Zak… Who knows, maybe even looking at a potential Andretti entry as a “B-Team” or a similar relationship like Ferrari with Haas in which they sell them some parts?

the EDGE
the EDGE

Let’s not forget McLaren also has 2 FE seats to fill next season. I believe these carry more F1 super licence pints than Indycar, so would be logical for American drivers to participate if they have dreams of getting an F1 race seat

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

the EDGE wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 17:53
Let’s not forget McLaren also has 2 FE seats to fill next season. I believe these carry more F1 super licence pints than Indycar, so would be logical for American drivers to participate if they have dreams of getting an F1 race seat
Exactly… Out of the 3 Indycar drivers, if I’m not wrong only Palou has enough points for a potential seat at McLaren and they know it.

JPower
JPower

OK, looks like Piastri is officially announced to Alpine. This season isn't silly enough.

ScottR267
ScottR267

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

JPower wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 18:22
OK, looks like Piastri is officially announced to Alpine. This season isn't silly enough.
No quotes from Piastri, no comms from his social media, I think this might be a tug of war situation. Very impressive for a driver who hasn't yet driven a Grand Prix lap :D

JPower
JPower

CaribouBread wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 18:33
JPower wrote:
No quotes from Piastri, no comms from his social media, I think this might be a tug of war situation. Very impressive for a driver who hasn't yet driven a Grand Prix lap :D
Ahh...good point. Its still silly! :D

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

ScottR267 wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 18:32
"After four years as part of the Renault family".... trying to guilt trip the young man? :D
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mwillems

So we have a tug of war over drivers in both Indycar and F1. It's getting messy! I wonder how much if this has been invented by the press, time will tell. This headline was always going to get the Mclaren fans whipped back up again, so it is totally ripe for a bit of outrageous clickbait.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

JPower wrote:
Another situation like Alex Palou’s with CGR? Still 2.5 hours for McLaren to do an announcement, lol :)

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 19:04
JPower wrote:
Another situation like Alex Palou’s with CGR? Still 2.5 hours for McLaren to do an announcement, lol :)
Yeah, they've signed Alonso for next year.

-Bandit

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 19:07
SmallSoldier wrote:
JPower wrote:
Lol… It was just striking that the announcement came while Piastri is probably sleeping, with no quote from him, with Otmar trying to guilt trip him into joining the team… And it’s not that dissimilar to the situation with Alex Palou, where CGR announce him as a driver, only for McLaren to welcome him a few hours later… Not happening, but it would have been funny 😁

Personally, I am not on the Piastri hype train… Yes, he won in F3 (although he didn’t dominate, not a single pole and the championship decided in the last race) and his competition in F2 wasn’t necessarily the strongest line up and he was arguably in the best team… So, not rooting for or against him joining McLaren… Just gaining a few pounds eating pop corn while enjoying the silly season

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 19:33
mwillems wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 19:07
SmallSoldier wrote:

Lol… It was just striking that the announcement came while Piastri is probably sleeping, with no quote from him, with Otmar trying to guilt trip him into joining the team… And it’s not that dissimilar to the situation with Alex Palou, where CGR announce him as a driver, only for McLaren to welcome him a few hours later… Not happening, but it would have been funny 😁

Personally, I am not on the Piastri hype train… Yes, he won in F3 (although he didn’t dominate, not a single pole and the championship decided in the last race) and his competition in F2 wasn’t necessarily the strongest line up and he was arguably in the best team… So, not rooting for or against him joining McLaren… Just gaining a few pounds eating pop corn while enjoying the silly season
Oh I agree, it does look like either a power play or supreme confidence in their contractual position, either way Piastri looks like a passenger in this at this point.

My reply was pure silliness as there wasn't enough already!

-Bandit

mwillems

Holy moly.

-Bandit

JPower
JPower

And here I thought summer break was just going to be whining and crying over floor TD's and Ferrari strategy. This is waaaay more exciting.