2022 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2022 Alpine F1 Team

Rossi's inexperience is showing.
A lion must kill its prey.

basti313
basti313

Rossi???
Don`t russel the hamster!

F1doc
F1doc

basti313 wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 16:21
Rossi???
Laurent Rossi, CEO.

Bisonas

diffuser wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 15:30
max_speed wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 14:08
https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/122462/a ... -seat.html

Looks like It all went downhill for Alpine. They tried to outsmart will fox alonso and got what they deserved.
Think he should have told them that he had an offer from AMR. That he was gonna take it if they don't match it. I don't think they knew that was a risk of him leaving. Another Alonso move. Did he out fox himself? Only time will tell.
No matter what will happen in the future, Alonso came on top on everybody eyes, and exposed the unwillingness of Alpine management to complete the deal in time, trying to do what ?? lower his demands or allowing an option to ditch him in 2024 if they see fit ?
Alonso had nothing to prove any more. He is their faster driver, and even helping Ocon to become a better driver just by being there.

After Vettel announced his retirement, Rossi and Otmar lost what ever bargaining chips they thought they had and that made them really uncomfortable. They tried to fast forward the negotiations and sign Alonso, but it was too late.

IMO for Alonso since top 3 teams had all seats taken, Alpine and AMG dons't make much of a difference. Each choice has its pros and cons but if you ask me which team has better chances to be ahead of the other in 2 years time, i would say its 50/50.

Alonso just went where he felt he was more wanted. Maybe he felt that the Rossi/Otmar didn't wanted him that much in the team, and by driving at this level showing everyone that he is faster than ocon, actually put them (Rossi/Otmar) in a difficult situation by making it really difficult for them to explain the reasoning for ditching him and forcing them to go into negotiations.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

diffuser wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 05:02
JordanMugen wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 02:37
diffuser wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 02:33
If it's Piastri, there is a 50% chance or more that he will struggle
Just because there are two options (a rookie excelling or struggling), doesn't make it a 50% (or less!) probability of excelling. :wink:

Alpine will have Piastri's data to guide their view on the probability of Piastri's driving being competent and Piastri has (as permitted) been testing the older-generation Alpines which presumably have similar driving characteristics to the new-generation one. :)
Name the last rookie that didn't struggle in his first year besides Hamilton. Example, Norris had half the points that Sainz had in 2019. Then count all the ones that did and of those how few were still driving in F1 at 30.
Are we only considering the points at the end of the season to determine whether a rookie “struggled” in his first season? That’s valid, although a myopic way of analyzing their performance over a season… Even though Lando did in fact achieved half the points as Sainz, Lando’s average finishing position in 2019 was 7.82 while Carlos’ was 9.41 or when DNF’s happened (in a car that has its performance swing from race to race, if you DNF in a race where the car had pace instead of one where it struggled, it will have a major impact on the points).

I don’t think Lando struggled in his maiden season in F1, for a Rookie it was a solid season and showed a lot of speed, been dead even in terms of qualifying with 10 races each been ahead of the other.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

diffuser wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 15:30
max_speed wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 14:08
https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/122462/a ... -seat.html

Looks like It all went downhill for Alpine. They tried to outsmart will fox alonso and got what they deserved.
Think he should have told them that he had an offer from AMR. That he was gonna take it if they don't match it. I don't think they knew that was a risk of him leaving. Another Alonso move. Did he out fox himself? Only time will tell.
If you read the Otmar interview, there was no reason for Alonso to tell them anything… They were pretty clear with him that they were unwilling to sign a long term contract with him because they weren’t sure if he will still perform at a high level, for someone with the ego that Alonso has a comment like that is an slap in the face.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Contract multiyear blah blah, maybe Alonso just knows something which could see AM overtake Alpine in the future. But honestly I don’t see those midfield teams being in good shape.

qatmix

I think Alpine have other plans. Alonso is good, but Ocon has the measure of him in most situations and shows more pace. They may well have another experienced driver to fill the gap and not go with the obvious move.

The environment at AM is meant to be toxic, it’s probably a reason why Vettel left. Alonso going there could be very explosive.

Enstone
Enstone

AR3-GP wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 16:16
Rossi's inexperience is showing.
Abiteboule had way more abilities to convince and choose drivers !

Sainz, Ricciardo and Alonso.

Rossi think of himself as he was Jean Todt before he achieve to make Ferrari great again... but at the moment is still a noob ! there's a looong way to go for him...

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

Well Alpine has announced Piastri as the driver to replace Alonso for next season but nothing from Piastri's comms' yet. Looks like this is going to drag out for a bit.

Mansell89
Mansell89

CaribouBread wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 18:31
Well Alpine has announced Piastri as the driver to replace Alonso for next season but nothing from Piastri's comms' yet. Looks like this is going to drag out for a bit.
Surely not- that would be incredibly embarrassing for Alpine

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

Mansell89 wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 18:37
CaribouBread wrote:
The press release didn't have any quotes from Piastri, its 2 AM in Australia where his manager Mark Webber is (a guess from my part :? ). If I was being cynical I'd say this might be a bit of a powerplay from Alpine. :oops:

Mansell89
Mansell89

CaribouBread wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 18:44
Mansell89 wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 18:37
CaribouBread wrote:
The press release didn't have any quotes from Piastri, its 2 AM in Australia where his manager Mark Webber is (a guess from my part :? ). If I was being cynical I'd say this might be a bit of a powerplay from Alpine. :oops:
Blimey! Could be some drama to rumble on yet

F1doc
F1doc

Mansell89 wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 18:49
Blimey! Could be some drama to rumble on yet
Or is it possible that there is no story behind this...

What this saga is showing is how inept Alpine management are. Just this morning what was being attributed to comments by Otmar about not knowing Piastri's plans, to this.

Even another team is poking fun.

MtthsMlw

lol