2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Darth-Piekus

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Is Piastri a proven fast driver that will perform better than Ricciardo or is it a risk that will also cause drama?

mwillems

Maybe 2 seconds a lap faster. Possibly 3 if he eats his spinach.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Big Tea

SmallSoldier wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 20:33
mwillems wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 20:30
I'd like Piastri over Ric, as for Ric and where he goes, that's up to his representatives. If anything comes of this.

Let's see what Mclaren say.

But this is twice in a week now.
The fact that McLaren is really quiet about the whole situation is intriguing… They could have squashed all rumors quickly if they wanted to or if they knew exactly who is driving for them next season… They haven’t… And there is a reason for it.
Could they be letting Dan sort himself out with the right deal at Alpine?
Dan is a known good driver who for some reason is not comfortable in the Mclaren, so to me it is just common sense that he move to a different team where he was happy with the car.
Of course, if he has a contract Mclaren are not able to make that call so the best thing is to stay out of the way so Dan can say to Alpine "look, I have a seat for next year, so if I move I want 'this' deal"
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 20:37
I can’t even…

Ben1980
Ben1980

I cant say Piastri overly excites me. Pato does though!

Wouter

Darth-Piekus wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 20:35
Is Piastri a proven fast driver that will perform better than Ricciardo or is it a risk that will also cause drama?
When he made his debut in F4 >>>> Champion.
When he made his debut in F3 >>>> Champion.
When he made his debut in F2 >>>> Champion.

So yes, he is a very talented fast driver!
The Power of Dreams!

mwillems

Big Tea wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 20:38
SmallSoldier wrote:
mwillems wrote:
I'd like Piastri over Ric, as for Ric and where he goes, that's up to his representatives. If anything comes of this.

The fact that McLaren is really quiet about the whole situation is intriguing… They could have squashed all rumors quickly if they wanted to or if they knew exactly who is driving for them next season… They haven’t… And there is a reason for it.
Dan is a known good driver who for some reason is not comfortable in the Mclaren, so to me it is just common sense that he move to a different team where he was happy with the car.
Of course, if he has a contract Mclaren are not able to make that call so the best thing is to stay out of the way so Dan can say to Alpine "look, I have a seat for next year, so if I move I want 'this' deal"
It seems to be the obvious choice that Piastri would drive in 23, but we don't know for sure if that was the plan.

Otherwise Mclaren will have to engage with Renault but given their strategy in this, how responsive will they be?

What clauses does Dan have, do we know? Guaranteed seat? What if he refuses to go?

Finally a drive to survive I'm looking forward to.

-Bandit

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 20:44
mwillems wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 20:37
I can’t even…
Ag ag ag ag.

-Bandit

JPower
JPower

Zak has something up his sleeve...all of these moves and driver tests over the past 2 years still don't completely add up.

BosF1
BosF1

Quite a response from a rookie to an announcement that he will be in the car next year. He is burning his bridges with Alpine this way. The only reason I see any rookie do that, is if they have already signed/agreed another deal that puts him in a seat for 2023. Wouldn't make sense otherwise, now would it?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Big Tea wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 20:38
SmallSoldier wrote:
mwillems wrote:

I’m sure McLaren’s silence (if indeed Piastri has a contract with them) is out of respect for Daniel and to let him work out a potential deal with Alpine, which base on the circumstances seems to be the best / only option for him if indeed Piastri is bound to McLaren for 2023.

Nothing is done yet though… Daniel may very well be at McLaren in 2023, but the reality is that besides the PR statements of support, Daniel knows he is not performing, the Team knows he is not performing and neither probably feel very comfortable with the current situation… If I’m Daniel, would I want to be in a Team that apparently is looking for a new driver? Why stay where I can’t perform to the best of my abilities?

At the end, the childish display by Alpine (Otmar / Rossi) is what is creating a problem for all involved… They had to come out with an statement without discussing it with the driver (Piastri), how publicly now is saying that he won’t drive for them next season… Dealing with it quietly was the best in the interest of all parties involved, but they just couldn’t stop themselves

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

From all indication, as someone here mention, it seems Scott Mitchell was spot on with his statement that Alpine’s option expired on 31st July ‘22. So it’s likely in Piastri’s hand.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

JPower wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 20:50
Zak has something up his sleeve...all of these moves and driver tests over the past 2 years still don't completely add up.
Is all part of the Master Plan!

McLaren to announce a Technical Partnership with Andretti, similar to Ferrari - Haas with McLaren selling standard parts to them with the caveat that one of the Andretti seats is for a McLaren driver… This allows them to cover their own development costs and help financially, while at the same time have a place to develop drivers for the future… For Andretti, it eases up the entry barriers to F1, allows them to have a couple of drivers that have already performed tests or drove in Free Practice and build their Team.

Swed3121
Swed3121

This is fast becoming Zak Brown’s signature move , does he really want all of his drivers caught up in lawsuits…

I’m sure whichever legal firm represents McLaren is having an absolute party tonight

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

In all this, I feel bad for Daniel, really hoped he would pick up. Now we don’t even know what 2023 holds for him.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.