2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

djos wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 04:09
SmallSoldier wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 04:07

Did I say that Daniel didn’t beat Vettel? I’m only arguing that there is no need for the whole “He wiped the floor with him”, that is sensationalism and not needed for a discussion.

And regarding the whole Vettel had 6 seasons in Red Bull, the 2014 cars where part of a new set of regulations, from the Engines, the ERS, new wings and new noses… So no, they weren’t the same as in previous seasons.
It really isnt tho, not even Max the Mighty managed to do this to Daniel in his first year at RBR, for Daniel to utterly dominate Seb the way he did, was literally sensational!
Well, you can call it whichever way you want… I’m just stating that it doesn’t help having a good conversation about it, but whatever makes someone happy :)

If you read my post, I’m not denying what a fantastic season Daniel had… Is it simply because he was just miles better than Vettel or did Vettel simply didn’t the motivation that season? I don’t know (neither do you), but does it matter?… At the end of the day, I just don’t think that those comparisons of Driver A beat Driver B in X season, Driver B beat Driver C in Y season indicates that Driver A is better than Driver B… Seasons (as proven by Daniel) have to be look at individually and within the context of the Team / Car and dynamics at play that season.

Going by that logic, Norris is better than Vettel and Max, since Norris is beating Daniel in every metric and we know that might not be the case… Furthermore, what happen in 2014 has no influence in 2022… in 2022 Daniel is not consider one of the best drivers on the grid as he deservedly was in 2014, is it him? Is it the car? That’s for personal interpretation… But the fact is that he is not performing as he did back then.

runningmanz
runningmanz

SmallSoldier wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 04:21
djos wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

Did I say that Daniel didn’t beat Vettel? I’m only arguing that there is no need for the whole “He wiped the floor with him”, that is sensationalism and not needed for a discussion.

And regarding the whole Vettel had 6 seasons in Red Bull, the 2014 cars where part of a new set of regulations, from the Engines, the ERS, new wings and new noses… So no, they weren’t the same as in previous seasons.
It really isnt tho, not even Max the Mighty managed to do this to Daniel in his first year at RBR, for Daniel to utterly dominate Seb the way he did, was literally sensational!
Well, you can call it whichever way you want… I’m just stating that it doesn’t help having a good conversation about it, but whatever makes someone happy :)

If you read my post, I’m not denying what a fantastic season Daniel had… Is it simply because he was just miles better than Vettel or did Vettel simply didn’t the motivation that season? I don’t know (neither do you), but does it matter?… At the end of the day, I just don’t think that those comparisons of Driver A beat Driver B in X season, Driver B beat Driver C in Y season indicates that Driver A is better than Driver B… Seasons (as proven by Daniel) have to be look at individually and within the context of the Team / Car and dynamics at play that season.

Going by that logic, Norris is better than Vettel and Max, since Norris is beating Daniel in every metric and we know that might not be the case… Furthermore, what happen in 2014 has no influence in 2022… in 2022 Daniel is not consider one of the best drivers on the grid as he deservedly was in 2014, is it him? Is it the car? That’s for personal interpretation… But the fact is that he is not performing as he did back then.
Or maybe Lando is only better in the odd McLarens since thats all he has driven in F1 unlike Dan in many different F1 cars beating many different highly rated teammates.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

runningmanz wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 04:23
SmallSoldier wrote:
djos wrote:

Or maybe Lando is only better in the odd McLarens since thats all he has driven in F1 unlike Dan in many different F1 cars beating many different highly rated teammates.
Maybe yes… You are 100% correct that Lando is better in the current McLaren (we will probably never know if he would also be better in a different car)… What is also clear is that the car can go faster and finish farther ahead the grid than Daniel is capable of doing. We can all speculate about the why, but it won’t change the fact that he can get the performance that the car is capable of having and Daniel can’t or won’t change his driving to get the performance out of it… Lando can, Carlos did… Maybe another driver (Piastri) can too?

runningmanz
runningmanz

SmallSoldier wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 04:31
runningmanz wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 04:23
SmallSoldier wrote:

Maybe yes… You are 100% correct that Lando is better in the current McLaren (we will probably never know if he would also be better in a different car)… What is also clear is that the car can go faster and finish farther ahead the grid than Daniel is capable of doing. We can all speculate about the why, but it won’t change the fact that he can get the performance that the car is capable of having and Daniel can’t or won’t change his driving to get the performance out of it… Lando can, Carlos did… Maybe another driver (Piastri) can too?
Well like the stint at Renault it took the second season for the car to come to Dan after the changes they made. Given this car is new this season mostly with some quirks from last year retained, I was hoping he had time for it to all come to him again next season with the changes they were working towards but with the crazy stuff going on at the moment after Alonso's bombshell move we may not ever find out.

Mclarensenna

SmallSoldier wrote:
djos wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

All your posts have a clear agenda it seems:
Somebody states a clear fact Ric wiped the floor with Vettel in 2014. You even just claimed you like Ric as a person. I don’t see anybody who likes Ric going on the attack when somebody posts a positive factual achievement downplaying 2014 do you?

By you Claiming it was sensationalist, and he did not wipe the floor with him. He Merely beat him.
So lying flat out then downplaying Rics achievement by 10 fold to push your narrative.

“Furthermore, what happen in 2014 has no influence in 2022… in 2022 Daniel is not consider one of the best drivers on the grid as he deservedly was in 2014, is it him? Is it the car? That’s for personal interpretation… But the fact is that he is not performing as he did back then.”

<------ Now you claim Ric was 1 of the best drivers on the grid in 2014 but again narrative push the idea maybe it wasn’t him but the car. So you compliment him then completely take away the complement and downplay it to zero basically as it maybe the car.
It is clear as day what you are doing and you do this in almost every single Ric post.

It would be like a Lando agenda hater who replied to a posters fact that Lando had a fantastic race in Monza he came second and right behind the winner. A person who actually likes Lando would say yep awesome race, and even sprinkle a few more positives and up-play this achievement and and leave it at that with no negatives.

A Lando troll hater, on the other hand would be like ye awesome race then throw in a huge BUT, and say ye great race BUT he should have won, BUT why hasn’t he won a race yet, BUT maybe it was the car he did so well, BUT Ric struggling to adapt a lot to that Mclaren and still won, imagine if he was comfortable RIc would have lapped Lando, BUT BUT BUT and maybe another 4 negatives.
This is clearly not a person who likes Lando. This is a person who Hates Lando!
By trying to downplay a fantastic 2nd place to zero using a lot of trick, negative psychology.

There is no way that you like Daniel as a person like you just claimed, but hate him its evident reading all your posts. Only a person who hates somebody would go to the extreme effort of seeing a factual post about Ric wiping the floor with Vettel in his stella 2014 season and think dam what is this. Let me go on the attack, be ultra negative and completely discredit this achievement as much as possible. The Ric liker would add positives like ye that Ric destroyed him from the 1st race till the last it was definitely no fluke or something along those lines. You did the complete opposite.

Bashing particular drivers you hate is 1 thing. Many haters are here.
But you are an extreme troll because you lie, claim you “like Daniel as a person” then proceed to bash and downplay every single positive fact somebody posts and resort to lies to do it.
This sort of trolling needs to stop as it is getting very tiring!
Ayrton Senna: Pure driving, pure racing, that´s what makes me happy.

Lucky
Lucky

Mclarensenna wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 05:23
SmallSoldier wrote:
djos wrote:

Somebody states a clear fact Ric wiped the floor with Vettel in 2014. You even just claimed you like Ric as a person. I don’t see anybody who likes Ric going on the attack when somebody posts a positive factual achievement downplaying 2014 do you?

By you Claiming it was sensationalist, and he did not wipe the floor with him. He Merely beat him.
So lying flat out then downplaying Rics achievement by 10 fold to push your narrative.

“Furthermore, what happen in 2014 has no influence in 2022… in 2022 Daniel is not consider one of the best drivers on the grid as he deservedly was in 2014, is it him? Is it the car? That’s for personal interpretation… But the fact is that he is not performing as he did back then.”

<------ Now you claim Ric was 1 of the best drivers on the grid in 2014 but again narrative push the idea maybe it wasn’t him but the car. So you compliment him then completely take away the complement and downplay it to zero basically as it maybe the car.
It is clear as day what you are doing and you do this in almost every single Ric post.

It would be like a Lando agenda hater who replied to a posters fact that Lando had a fantastic race in Monza he came second and right behind the winner. A person who actually likes Lando would say yep awesome race, and even sprinkle a few more positives and up-play this achievement and and leave it at that with no negatives.

A Lando troll hater, on the other hand would be like ye awesome race then throw in a huge BUT, and say ye great race BUT he should have won, BUT why hasn’t he won a race yet, BUT maybe it was the car he did so well, BUT Ric struggling to adapt a lot to that Mclaren and still won, imagine if he was comfortable RIc would have lapped Lando, BUT BUT BUT and maybe another 4 negatives.
By trying to downplay a fantastic 2nd place to zero using a lot of trick, negative psychology.

There is no way that you like Daniel as a person like you just claimed, but hate him its evident reading all your posts. Only a person who hates somebody would go to the extreme effort of seeing a factual post about Ric wiping the floor with Vettel in his stella 2014 season and think dam what is this. Let me go on the attack, be ultra negative and completely discredit this achievement as much as possible. The Ric liker would add positives like ye that Ric destroyed him from the 1st race till the last it was definitely no fluke or something along those lines. You did the complete opposite.

But you are an extreme troll because you lie, claim you “like Daniel as a person” then proceed to bash and downplay every single positive fact somebody posts and resort to lies to do it.
Stop writing nonsense.
I wish Rick would get kicked out.
I'm tired of reading this nonsense.

Mclarensenna

Lucky wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 05:28
Mclarensenna wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

Stop writing nonsense.

This was not a post about kicking Ric out or did i make any mention of it.
What nonsense exactly are you referring to as i am very confused?
Ayrton Senna: Pure driving, pure racing, that´s what makes me happy.

JordanMugen

Just thinking aloud: Piastri is already announced as a McLaren reserve driver for 2022. It's the deal Alpine did early on in the season.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... m0fdo.html

So assuming Piastri is announced as a McLaren F1 driver for 2023, could Piastri already be doing FP1 for McLaren as soon as at Spa in four weeks time, while Doohan does the Alpine FP1 junior sessions instead?

It would be a good opportunity for Piastri to learn the McLaren car.

It's amusing if Alpine putting Piastri & Webber into contact with McLaren about being a McLaren reserve driver, is what started the ball rolling on this whole mess!

Australia's Auto Action weighs in:
Despite the shock departure of Fernando Alonso from Alpine F1 only 48 hours ago and Alpine claiming that young Aussie Oscar Piastri with replace the Spaniard at the Enstone based squad, it is more likely than not that Piastri will be confirmed as a McLaren driver as soon as today.

[Piastri] has been fully kitted up in the McLaren racing gear, has had seat fittings, as well as spending time on the McLaren simulator.
https://autoaction.com.au/2022/08/03/pi ... at-mclaren

I did not know that last part! So Piastri is not going in blind as a stab in the dark, but has actually driven the simulated McLaren car at least and been around the McLaren factory. So that gives more credence to Piastri having confidence in McLaren and having the contacts to get a deal done there.

(Similarly, McLaren are not taking a stab in the dark either for that matter... They have seen Piastri's data in their simulator.)

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

JordanMugen wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 05:41
Just thinking aloud: Piastri is already announced as a McLaren reserve driver for 2022. It's the deal Alpine did early on in the season.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... m0fdo.html

So assuming Piastri is announced as a McLaren F1 driver for 2023, could Piastri already be doing FP1 for McLaren as soon as at Spa in four weeks time, while Doohan does the Alpine FP1 junior sessions instead?

It would be a good opportunity for Piastri to learn the McLaren car.

It's amusing if Alpine putting Piastri & Webber into contact with McLaren about being a McLaren reserve driver, is what started the ball rolling on this whole mess!

Australia's Auto Action weighs in:
Despite the shock departure of Fernando Alonso from Alpine F1 only 48 hours ago and Alpine claiming that young Aussie Oscar Piastri with replace the Spaniard at the Enstone based squad, it is more likely than not that Piastri will be confirmed as a McLaren driver as soon as today.

[Piastri] has been fully kitted up in the McLaren racing gear, has had seat fittings, as well as spending time on the McLaren simulator.
https://autoaction.com.au/2022/08/03/pi ... at-mclaren

I did not know that last part! So Piastri is not going in blind as a stab in the dark, but has actually driven the simulated McLaren car at least and been around the McLaren factory. So that gives more credence to Piastri having confidence in McLaren and having the contacts to get a deal done there.

(Similarly, McLaren are not taking a stab in the dark either for that matter... They have seen Piastri's data in their simulator.)
That would be an interesting development (Piastri doing practice sessions with McLaren)… But knowing Alpine, would they let him? Would the current reserve driver role allow him to do it?

If there is a deal with McLaren, I’m afraid you are right and Alpine kind of played Cupid between Piastri and McLaren… But let’s wait for an announcement between McLaren and Piastri before we speculate on potential Free Practice runs :)

djos

Lucky wrote:
Stop writing nonsense.
That's some serious cognitive dissonance mate, first you claim someone is writing nonsense, and then you follow it up with your own grammatically challenged nonsense! #-o
"In downforce we trust"

djos

SmallSoldier wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 06:02

That would be an interesting development (Piastri doing practice sessions with McLaren)… But knowing Alpine, would they let him? Would the current reserve driver role allow him to do it?

If there is a deal with McLaren, I’m afraid you are right and Alpine kind of played Cupid between Piastri and McLaren… But let’s wait for an announcement between McLaren and Piastri before we speculate on potential Free Practice runs :)
If he's already contracted as their reserve driver, how could they prevent him from doing an FP1 session?
"In downforce we trust"

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

djos wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 06:16
SmallSoldier wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 06:02

If he's already contracted as their reserve driver, how could they prevent him from doing an FP1 session?
It would depend on how the contract is structured… Reserve drivers rarely get Free Practice runs and there’s no commitment from the Team’s to provide one and with the bad blood that a potential deal will bring between the teams, not sure if anyone will play ball (no different than teams sometimes not allowing their driver to do testing at the end of the season for their next team).

runningmanz
runningmanz

Lucky wrote:
Mclarensenna wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

Stop writing nonsense.
Just a bit of an overreaction?? If it bothers you that much why not just ignore it. Wishing a driver out of the team just because you don't like some posters responses is actually a load of nonsense if your going to use that word.

Stu

F1since1980 wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 02:30
McL-H wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 22:43
Stig14 wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 22:21
I doubt Piastri has any say on when Fernando decides to sign a contract. Fernando left when he pleased (I don't believe he has a personal vendetta against Alpine) and Piastri looked elsewhere as he was contractually able to do. This whole situation reeks of incompetence by Alpine, not deliberate underhand tactics by two unrelated drivers.
taperoo2k wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 22:25
Alpine took too long to offer Alonso the kind of contract he wanted, and they pretty much dragged their feet in getting Piastri a drive for 2023. If true about Alpine's option running out on the 31st of July for Piastri ? Tough. If they really wanted to keep him they'd have exercised that option some weeks ago. Though I expect Alpine thought there would be no real options for Piastri.

McLaren will want drivers capable of winning races and championships. Piastri looks like the real deal, much like Lando does. As for Ricciardo ? He just hasn't delivered for McLaren, which might not be entirely his fault.
Besides I don't expect Lando will stick around at McLaren if they are unable to deliver him a car that's capable of challenging for the drivers title. Same thing with Piastri if he joins McLaren.

There isn't any fraud taking place, this is the same old F1 drivers market. Wheeling and dealing between teams, managers and drivers. McLaren can be utterly ruthless in the drivers market when they need to be. If they have signed Piastri then I'd be excited rather than annoyed. Besides Mark Webber is no stranger to the cutthroat side of F1, he'll be the driving force behind Piastri possibly signing for McLaren.
Thank you guys for the counterarguments. My comment was obviously assuming that the speculations that do their round are true. It is not confirmed and only the parties involved know how and what. I agree, it does not have to be the case, but if true, I do not find Piastri representative for McLaren.

Should McLaren just focus on driver quality, taperoo? Maybe so. But what does it say about the McLaren core values and principles if this is what they condone? How will this affect their brand? I am a man of principles and I am willing to fight for my values, even if it means missing out on other things that are important to me. Maybe that’s my problem in this. Success is not as important as having success with some decency attached to it. I cannot separate the driver talent from behaviour.
Well put, I agree with you 100%. Not really fair to Alpine who have spent the money and time on this kid (he has been driving last year's car in tests at Silverstone - was/is going to do 5000K or more I think - not to mention all the simi work, etc...) and Mclaren if they are involved and all of this is true, they just benefited from all that development for free. That is just not right, it is a ruthless business as we have seen in the past, but this is a first in my book from a rookie... Wow
Different era, but this reminds me of Jean Alesi after his first year at Tyrell (great car, great driver!!); signing for Williams, and then signing for Ferrari (and the first that Williams know about it is when Ferrari make the press release!
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Ben1980
Ben1980

Daniel Ricciardo is a proven good driver. No disputes.

Daniel Ricciardo hasn't been as good as his team mate, over the last year and a half. No disputes I'm sure.

Daniel Ricciardos performance for Mclaren probably doesn't warrant a third season, but his contract was signed before he struggled. Some may dispute but to me its pretty clear.

There is nothing to indicate that he will suddenly improve in a Mclaren. And that is because he struggles with the cars rather then him being a bad driver.

Mclaren need someone who doesn't struggle with the car or someone young enough or versatile enough to adapt quicker.

I dont see any benefit in Ricciardo trying another year IF he has another F1 option.