2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
MrGapes

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

I don't know why you guys think this years McLaren is the same as last year or is weird to drive... you can't rely on driver comments because they haven't driven any other car within this new era of regulation. The aero philosophy of the new car is completely different to that of last years and has completely different characteristics to what we saw in 2021...

Big Tea

One thing that does not seem to get mentioned, Does Dan want to go to Alpine?
He was there and decided to walk to a team that seemed to be little different (from a race view) at the time, is there a reason he (and the others ) do not want to be there?
Personality? Change the front man to make it look different, but all the rest is the same.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

djos

Big Tea wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 13:06
He was there and decided to walk to a team that seemed to be little different (from a race view) at the time, is there a reason he (and the others ) do not want to be there?
Personality? Change the front man to make it look different, but all the rest is the same.
If he wants to stay in F1 it sounds like he won’t have much choice.

Keep in mind that when he did walk away, Renault were dithering over if they would stay or leave.

Daniel actually left on good terms despite the initial emotions from Cyril.
"In downforce we trust"

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Big Tea wrote:
I bet he wants to go to a different car. He's had a lot of time to adapt and it just isn't working.

Big Tea

FittingMechanics wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 13:13
Big Tea wrote:
I bet he wants to go to a different car. He's had a lot of time to adapt and it just isn't working.
I agree, but is it Renault (to him) he wants to join?
There does not seem to be a viable alternative though, except maybe another team he left?? :shock:

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Does Mark Webber have any professional ties to Ricciardo as well?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mclaren111

MrGapes wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 12:56
I don't know why you guys think this years McLaren is the same as last year or is weird to drive... you can't rely on driver comments because they haven't driven any other car within this new era of regulation. The aero philosophy of the new car is completely different to that of last years and has completely different characteristics to what we saw in 2021...

Amen...

djos

Ground Effect wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 13:23
I don’t believe he does.
"In downforce we trust"

Balalu
Balalu

mclaren111 wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 13:30
MrGapes wrote:

Amen...
+1
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen

Big Tea

djos wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 13:32
Ground Effect wrote:
I don’t believe he does.
I did a quick google for it, and an incidental cam up, thought I would post it here. I know its a team thread, but the team is mentioned, and it follows the above post

Wednesday 13th July 2022 11:35 AM

https://www.planetf1.com/news/mark-webb ... i-mclaren/

(from above)
“Could the delay be that he and his manager Mark Webber are looking at potentially replacing Daniel Ricciardo at McLaren?
Speaking in his post-race Notebook show, Sky Sports F1’s Ted Kravitz said there are rumours floating around that Webber has advised his client not to commit to Williams as the McLaren seat may be on offer.

‘There are lots of rumours around as to why Oscar Piastri, the Alpine reserve, has not signed for Williams,” said Kravitz following the Austrian Grand Prix.

“Could the delay be that he and his manager Mark Webber are looking at potentially replacing Daniel Ricciardo at McLaren?

“Obviously, that would leave Daniel Ricciardo maybe going to drive for McLaren somewhere else (in another racing series) or doing something else altogether.

Szafnauer had originally said a decision would be made by the British Grand Prix, but the team have made no announcement as yet...

(My cutting, it can be read differently)

mwillems

Big Tea wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 14:16
djos wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 13:32
Ground Effect wrote:
I don’t believe he does.
I did a quick google for it, and an incidental cam up, thought I would post it here. I know its a team thread, but the team is mentioned, and it follows the above post

Wednesday 13th July 2022 11:35 AM

https://www.planetf1.com/news/mark-webb ... i-mclaren/

(from above)
Speaking in his post-race Notebook show, Sky Sports F1’s Ted Kravitz said there are rumours floating around that Webber has advised his client not to commit to Williams as the McLaren seat may be on offer.

‘There are lots of rumours around as to why Oscar Piastri, the Alpine reserve, has not signed for Williams,” said Kravitz following the Austrian Grand Prix.

“Obviously, that would leave Daniel Ricciardo maybe going to drive for McLaren somewhere else (in another racing series) or doing something else altogether.

Szafnauer had originally said a decision would be made by the British Grand Prix, but the team have made no announcement as yet...

(My cutting, it can be read differently)
It seems almost prophetic, that was a good find.

I guess we will find out what Piastri's contract says. I have a feeling it will come down to wether Piastri being offered the drive with Williams was enough to trigger the extension, or whether Paistri had to accept the drive for the extension to trigger.

In an interview from earlier on Tuesday, Otmar intimated that the offer itself was enough to meet the contractual obligations needed to tie Oscar down for a further year and in fact, that he wasn't required to accept it, that the team had contractual control of where he would drive.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

MrGapes wrote:
Both Lando and James key have said it has carried over characteristics that made the car unique in the previous years so personally I'm not going to deviate from their opinion. It could well be the way our suspension manages the front end through the corners that causes these characteristics over any Aero changes so it is perfectly feasible.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

the EDGE
the EDGE

mwillems wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 14:34
MrGapes wrote:
Both Lando and James key have said it has carried over characteristics that made the car unique in the previous years so personally I'm not going to deviate from their opinion. It could well be the way our suspension manages the front end through the corners that causes these characteristics over any Aero changes so it is perfectly feasible.
Worth noting that this years suspension systems are completely different from previous as well. Not just because of the switch to pull/push rods, this year’s rules dictated a much simpler suspension system using only springs in dampers, hydraulics were outlawed

It is certainly a good point that Lando has not driven another 2022 generation car. It could well be that the McLaren’s odd characteristics are replicated throughout the field due to the new aero regs, but there aren’t obvious signs of any other drivers struggling, especially when compared to their team mates, so maybe it is McLaren specific

daren_p
daren_p

It is certainly a good point that Lando has not driven another 2022 generation car. It could well be that the McLaren’s odd characteristics are replicated throughout the field due to the new aero regs, but there aren’t obvious signs of any other drivers struggling, especially when compared to their team mates, so maybe it is McLaren specific
Exactly, at this point, none of the drivers have driven another 22 gen car, so no one can likely say for a fact, that the "quirks" are car specific or regulation specific. It may well be that the current gen of cars just don't suite Ricciardo's driving style & he's having problems adapting. Like with Vettel switching from the NA V6 to the turbo/Hybrid Regs.

MrGapes

mwillems wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 14:34
MrGapes wrote:
could I get a source?

this is directly quoted from Lando in a autosport article "It's the same for me," he said. "Especially with this year, the car is very different. And some of the characteristics we had last year are gone, and we've introduced some other characteristics. And I've had to change my driving style."

these cars are so fundamentally different, what made the last Mclaren's unique was how understeery they were, and lack of front downforce, with these new tyres understeer is a inherent characteristics of these new regs

I don't want to be negative.. its just I don't believe the argument that Mclaren are still making unusual cars stick... especially with such a colossal regs change..